Question

SiriusXM Encoding Error

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Same problem
Still the same error message as earlier today. Really frustrating!
Userlevel 2
same - not working
not working
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not having any issues here... listening to 301 - Road Trip Radio right now. Have gone through two other stations as well, with no problems.
We are also having problems playing any Sirius XM station on our Connect. I started a new thread, but was directed over here.

It was working fine last Thursday morning before we left town. Came home this ev ening, and tried to play various Sirius stations. Here's what the error log looks like:

Unable to play '27 - Deep Tracks' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 6:13 PM

5/6/17, 6:13 PM
Unable to play '6 - 60s on 6' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 6:18 PM

5/6/17, 6:18 PM

5/6/17, 6:21 PM

5/6/17, 7:01 PM
Unable to play '6 - 60s on 6' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 7:01 PM
Unable to play '33 - 1st Wave' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 7:05 PM

5/6/17, 7:05 PM
Unable to play '28 - The Spectrum' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 7:07 PM

5/6/17, 7:09 PM

5/6/17, 8:12 PM
Unable to play '21 - Underground Garage' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/6/17, 8:12 PM

5/6/17, 8:13 PM

5/6/17, 8:13 PM

5/6/17, 8:40 PM
Unable to play '23 - Grateful Dead' - the song is not encoded correctly.

I've tried removing Sirus from Services and reinstalling, but still, nothing.

All other services, and Internet radio stations, we listen to are working fine.
+ 1 also having same issue...has worked correctly for a couple of years until this morning. Could it be the latest Sonos app upgrade?
It is something on the siriusxm side. My grace Internet Radio also stopped working at the exact same time.
Same issue here. SiriusXM always played fine until yesterday.
I justed tested mine today, after being down all yesterday. Sonos is now working for siriusxm for me, with no error codes.
Badge +1
As of 06:30 (mountain) time Sunday morning (5/7)- all's well. issue resolved. Thanks guys...
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check back in as some were still having issues, while others are now stating the issue has dissipated.
We reached out to the team and tested. SiriusXM's working on our end and playing normally.

Please let us know if you're still experiencing issues so we can get a better look. The best way to do this is to grab diagnostics from your system and having you reply with the number here. We'd also like to know your location and ISP so we can see if the problem's localized to a specific region.
Hi, I'm having the same issue. Short of what has been previously described is there anything else to try?
roc fusion.us, I'd recommend taking the advice that Dominique Z suggested, and submit a system diagnostic and post the number here, so you can get further help.
Same problem here. Started three days ago. Very frustrating.
Matty J,

My previous post remains valid. Please submit a system diagnostic and post a number here, so that the folks from Sonos can help you.
Hi Bruce. I've tried three times to submit a system diagnostic this afternoon. The response each time: "Your diagnostic information could not be sent at this time. Click 'Try Again' to try sending the information again, or click 'Done' to try again later."

My Sonos system's problematic symptoms seem to be shared by many, many users . . . Yet, Sonos still has no remedy, aside from submitting each individual's diagnostic code?
Well, the data that would be in that diagnostic would probably go a much longer way than someone like me guessing what the issue is based on your description, since there are many potentials with your local wifi, but since you can't do that, let's try the old fashioned method. So, you're having trouble with Sirius XM, and when you try to submit a diagnostic, you're told it can't. That indicates an issue with your controller (and technically, the speaker ) having trouble reaching the internet to actually submit the log files that would give the folks at Sonos a better indication of what might be happening.

So, let me ask you: Are there other streaming sources that you're having issues with, or is it only SiriusXM?

A few of the things I'd try as potential fixes would be to reboot my router. And frankly, what I'd do first is unplug from the power the speaker(s) you have first. Then reboot the router, and then plug back in your speakers, one at a time, waiting about a minute or two between each (assuming you have more than one!), which would allow each one enough time to reboot and request a new IP address.

I'd also be looking around each speaker for potential sources of interference, be it wireless phones, wireless printers, baby monitors, webcams, pretty much anything that emits an electric (or wifi) signal. The speaker would ideally be at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from these, but perhaps more, especially, I'm told, if it's a baby monitor, which apparently spam a lot of interference.

You also haven't indicated if you have one device wired directly to your router or whether you're in "Standard" mode. In the former, I'd recommend changing the SonosNet channel, in the latter, I'd recommend changing the broadcast channel your router is on, and turning off any "auto" channel selection, if it has one.

Post back after you've tried these, to let us know. My knowledge only goes so far, and there are members of this board who have much more experience and knowledge than I do who might help, especially if you can give us a little more information. And of course, if we can get you to the point where you can actually submit that diagnostic, it would reveal volumes to the folks from Sonos, I would bet.
One of the things I noticed that I didn't mention is that different streams are sensitive to different levels of interference, which is why in some cases, stream X works, but stream Y breaks up. And it might be useful to know what happens when you're streaming local music, either from your NAS, HD, or mobile device.
Thanks, Bruce. I'll look into this when I have more time. At this point, all I can tell you affirmatively is that nothing in my set-up has changed in three years. This problem is a new development. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your detailed follow-up.
Nothing has changed from your perspective, I suspect something has changed in the background. There's a lot of things that can change without our knowledge in local wifi networks, we rejoice as we are blissfully unaware. Unfortunately, though, things do update without our knowledge. Many virus / firewall programs update in the background without our intervention, and power surges have the potential to change things in our routers. Neighbors move in next door with devices that cause additional interference, etc. Sonos is one of the few devices that is super sensitive to changes in the wifi environment, due to the method by which it uses a connection. Computers have a better chance of hiding issues in the network environment, but Sonos speakers don't. Even something as simple as a Sonos app update can expose issues.

Best of luck!
Badge
I've having this intermittent issue a lot today. Its not the network. Guessing its the stream from SiriusXM? Local music and other streaming services (TuneIn, SoundCloud, Plex) all work fine...
Continue to experience issues with connecting to SiriusXM. NOTHING on my side has changed in the 18 months I've had my Sonos. Stop blaming everything else, and fix the problem. There are enough folks with issues to demonstrate that something is wrong other than my local wifi.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi folks,

The best way for us to find out why these problems are occurring is to submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number. The diagnostics provide us with a snapshot of your Sonos system so we can better determine why these problems are occurring and find a solution for you.

If you are unable to submit diagnostics or would like to work with us live please contact our Customer Care team directly and we will get your system up and running as intended again.
Omar - where do I find the SiriusXM channel on TuneIn - I can't find it?