Siriusxm drops S2

• 14 October 2021
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Siriusxm streaming drops after 1 hour and sometimes sooner. Seems to be slightly less of a problem if I use Line-In rather than Group to get the signal to various rooms. 

I have two calls into some very patient techs who both spend a lot of time. The source of the problem has not been reliably established. Mysteriously, all music services but SiriusXM work without issue. Siriusxm streaming drops but Siriusxm On Demand is trouble free. Seemed less of a problem with S1. Never solved with S2 and Port (which replaced a Connect).

Asus RT-AC 5300 router receives ISP service from ATT router (whose Wifi is turned off). Sonos linked to the Asus RT-AC 5300. There is an Asus AC-68U access point that does not link with any of the Sonos Speakers. The ISP is 25+ MB.

There are 12 Sonos products. For all other functions, everything works. There are products distributed on 4 levels. 

The techs turned speakers off and on remotely. I had to do the reset manually on two or three speakers. Initially, the reset seemed to help, but the best it ever got was less than 2 hours without dropping. The second tech created a test in which a speaker would be added to a successful speaker to see which speaker addition resulted in a drop. I was encouraged to continue testing on my own. The problem is that soon, the dropping started on the first speaker. 

I will continue to call Support and submit diagnostic reports. Has anyone had any luck consulting with Sirius? Should I be doing a hard reset rather than the 10 second off and on? 

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Richard 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

As it happens, I woke up today to a S2 update. Siriusxm dropped within an hour.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@CorryP

2087909208 is my most recent Diagnostic.

Thank you so much for being willing to look at this. All other music services are working without issue. Siriusxm works for "On Demand" but not consistently for streaming.

My Sonos system is distributed throughout the house on four floors and otherwise works flawlessly.

Richard 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NPRFAN 

Thanks for sending that in. Unfortunately, the diagnostic didn’t come through properly, which could indicate some underlying networking issue. You mentioned that you have more that one router - has the DHCP server been disabled on one? In other words, is one in Bridge mode? If not, that would be a problem, and not just for sending diagnostics.

I did take a look at the previous diagnostic that was submitted, however.

I’d first like to address your ethernet wiring - it looks like a couple of TV’s are connected to the ethernet sockets of the two Beams, and there’s a third connected to the Amp. Also, something is connected to the Left surround of Lounge. Please disconnect all of these connections. If the TV’s don’t have WiFi support, I recommend using network switches to split the ethernet feed to TVs prior to a connection to Sonos. A good rule to follow is to only connect Sonos ethernet ports to routers, network switches and other Sonos devices. 

Assuming it’s within range of the Beam, the Amp ideally would also be disconnected from ethernet - it would prefer a direct 5GHz link to the Beam. If this affects surround sound, however, then range is likely an issue and you should reconnect the Amp to ethernet.

Your Boost is doing nothing at the moment - the Treehouse Beam prefers the direct connection to the other Beam, which is less “expensive” than the two wireless connections needed to use the Boost. You could easily turn it off with no ill effect.

However, I don’t think any of this is likely to be the cause of what you’re experiencing. You mentioned everything else Sonos related works flawlessly, so I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to leave everything as it is. If all other steps fail, however, everything I’ve written above is worth keeping in mind.

The Port is having trouble with the URL for the SiriusXM stream - I presume this is the same regardless of the room played in? If so, then it seems most likely to be a problem with your SiriusXM account. We’d certainly like to test this by trying own own test account on your system. I ask you to please once again get in touch with our technical support team, and ask the agent you speak to to try a SiriusXM test account on your system. I’ll put a link to this thread in the notes of your existing related cases. Should our test account play without issue, then we’d direct you to SiriusXM support so they can take a look. I’ll be sure to mention on the case notes that it typically takes hours for the issue to happen - because of this, the case will likely be escalated to Tier 2 and because I am in Europe (habit - no I’m not, not since Brexit) I can’t escalate the case for you, so a call from you will be needed.

I hope this helps and you get to a resolution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What an incredibly thorough reply.  You have given me a lot to think about as well as adjust. Thank you for taking the time to look at this Cory.  I will be following up with a call to support after having a chance to digest this. 

One reason that the Beam is connected to the Amp by ethernet cable is that it wouldn't set up surround sound wirelessly. I will explore moving the Amp closer to the Beam. 

One interesting thing about the Boost is that my problem seemed to accelerate after I moved it closer to the Treehouse Sonos units. Since it's not doing anything there I may explore moving it back to the original location before disconnecting. 

Awesome support Cory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NPRFAN 

As you had an issue with bonding the Amp to the Beam previously, I’d just leave the Amp as it is. Especially if it means moving and tidying cables.

Glad to help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NPRFAN 

A little update for you. On the thread below, another user reported the same issue and I saw the same unusual error messages as I saw in your diagnostics. I’ve reported this up the chain of command and we’re now investigating this as a possible issue with Sonos/Sirius integration - it may not be your system (or Sirius account) after all. If you haven’t called in yet, I recommend waiting a little while longer until we’ve confirmed the issue and created a tracking case for it. That way, any agent you speak to will be more informed about how to proceed. This will likely be information gathering, but it will still be good for us to know if this only affects certain accounts. I’ll update you when we have the tracker.

Siriusxm keeps dropping out, constantly.  Also, I get the “song is not encoded correctly” error, constantly.  Whassup Sonos!!

“ we’re now investigating this as a possible issue with Sonos/Sirius integration “ is what was said in the post directly before yours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NPRFAN and @Moohakus 

An update - we’ve confirmed the issue and have created a ticket for it. We would appreciate you getting in touch with our technical support team - as I mentioned, this will be for information gathering only so please don’t expect a resolution straight away.

Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P 

I will call Technical Support this week. Thank you for your continuing updates on this topic. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P 

Am wondering if a fix for the Siriusxm drop issue has been developed by the technical support team/engineers. The reason that I am asking is that I have not experienced the dropping issue for a week or so. This weekend I actually had a 5 hour listening session without any drops. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Was going to start a new thread but since related thought I’d post here. Periodically SiriusXM just doesn’t work with Sonos. This morning, for example, I couldn’t connect to any SiriusXM stations via Sonos but did not have any issue using the SiriusXM App. Three hours or so later, the SiriusXM stations magically were again available using the Sonos App.

Never know when it’s going to fail with Sonos but at least with AirPlay, a recent Sonos speaker(s), and the SiriusXM App, one can generally still access during the down periods.

Could be part of the whole AWS issue, if I recall, the article on The Verge mentioned that it impacted SiriusXM. Which probably means until it gets resolved, you’d continue to have potential issues.

On the other hand, if you’re continuing to have issues with SiriusXM using the Sonos client, once the AWS outage is resolved, I’d encourage you to submit a diagnostic after having the stream cutout, and contacting Sonos directly. They’d be able to read the data in the diagnostic, and tell you whether it was an issue in their software, in your network, or an issue with the SiriusXM servers that have been assigned by SiriusXM to the Sonos system to use. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Could be part of the whole AWS issue

Can confirm! SiriusXM is definitely part of this outage.

More info here:

https://status.sonos.com/incidents/vgwcwg0cgz96

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Corry P Status update.  Regrettably,  had another successful 5 hr Streaming experience Saturday, but experienced drops today. Looks like my inquiry about a Siriusxm fix was premature.  I have a couple of diagnostic reports, if you would like me to post them.  Hoping to have the time to call the Tech desk this week.