Answered

sirius xm interface is poor

• 5 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Disappointed that I have to restart Sirius xm on demand every time.  Also cant ff or rewind.  This seems an easy fix.   But noted it has always been that way.  Can it be changed?   Hate to return this as I like the sound. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 January 2020, 14:16

Disappointed that I have to restart Sirius xm on demand every time.  Also cant ff or rewind.  This seems an easy fix.   But noted it has always been that way.  Can it be changed?   Hate to return this as I like the sound. 

The UI in the Sonos app is up to the service itself to change.  Sonos merely provides the API and testing, the service itself does the coding.  So it would be best to inquire at SiriusXM. 

View original

5 replies

The UI in the Sonos app is up to the service itself to change.  Sonos merely provides the API and testing, the service itself does the coding.  So it would be best to inquire at SiriusXM. 

When I use my beloved Sirius XM with Google Play Speakers, I can use the original Sirius XM App in all its functionality. Why do I have to use a rigid, limited API with your Sonos Speakers? Are we required to go to Sonos Radio or Tunein for a tuner with a decent ui? I have become used to my Sirius stations as a subscriber the last 10 years.

When I use my beloved Sirius XM with Google Play Speakers, I can use the original Sirius XM App in all its functionality. Why do I have to use a rigid, limited API with your Sonos Speakers? Are we required to go to Sonos Radio or Tunein for a tuner with a decent ui? I have become used to my Sirius stations as a subscriber the last 10 years.

1. You aren't using an API (Application Programming Interface) unless you are a programmer for SiriusXM.
  2. The Sonos API is fully capable of FF/REW of a stream.
  3. As stated in the Best Answer, it is up to SiriusXM, not Sonos, to make these UI changes using the Sonos API.

Your response was incredibly unhelpful and a bit arrogant.  We are customers or potential customers and we are trying to learn so we can buy your stuff $.

If the functionality of forward and back are on the new S2 Sonos App I downloaded, think you could show me?  I got on phone hold with Sonos Sales Support today, was going to ask a question and then buy the new Five Speaker, after being on hold (with Sales?!)  for 20 minutes, so I hung up and went back to my Google Home Speakers.  If Sales has that long of a hold, can’t imagine what customer support might be.

My chosen music service is Sirius and YouTube Music.  The latter works fine with Sonos controller UI.  The former, Sirius, a major and expensive monthly service, has a very clunky UI experience with even your new gold colored app (S2 I guess?).  If blaming Sirius is the answer, then I wonder why Google Home uses the native Sirius UI. Am I missing something, doing something incorrectly, or is that the best it gets.  Maybe a link to a youtube instructional video would help if you have that.  Yes I searched briefly, didn’t find much on the Sirius->Sonos UI.  Sonos One seems to be Radio by Tunein?  Is that UI better but with all or most of the great Sirius stations, or no?

Your response was incredibly unhelpful and a bit arrogant.  We are customers or potential customers and we are trying to learn so we can buy your stuff $.

Not my stuff,  for I do not work for Sonos.  Hence why I don’t have to kowtow and can tell it like it is. 

If the functionality of forward and back are on the new S2 Sonos App I downloaded, think you could show me?  I got on phone hold with Sonos Sales Support today, was going to ask a question and then buy the new Five Speaker, after being on hold (with Sales?!)  for 20 minutes, so I hung up and went back to my Google Home Speakers.  If Sales has that long of a hold, can’t imagine what customer support might be.

You misread.  I stated the ability to FF/REW is one of the capabilities in the Sonos Music Partners API (SMAPI).  We know this because other services make use of FF/REW in their implementations.  All Sirius has to do is use it in their Sonos implementation.  

My chosen music service is Sirius and YouTube Music.  The latter works fine with Sonos controller UI.  The former, Sirius, a major and expensive monthly service, has a very clunky UI experience with even your new gold colored app (S2 I guess?). 

Once again, as stated in the Best Answer, it is up to SiriusXM, not Sonos, to make these UI changes using the Sonos Music Partners API.  Also, once again, it’s not my app.  I don’t work for Sonos. 

If blaming Sirius is the answer, then I wonder why Google Home uses the native Sirius UI. Am I missing something, doing something incorrectly, or is that the best it gets.  Maybe a link to a youtube instructional video would help if you have that.  Yes I searched briefly, didn’t find much on the Sirius->Sonos UI.  Sonos One seems to be Radio by Tunein?  Is that UI better but with all or most of the great Sirius stations, or no?

Sonos also allows services to use native apps for playback.  Pandora, Spotify, Amazon, etc. all do it.  But guess who has to be willing to let their app do it? If you said SiriusXM, you’d be right!!!