Since upgrading to S2, Sonos randomly/intermittenlty stops playing music from Music Library (stored on NAS)

• 13 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Diagnostic Submitted:  1389803671

Ever since upgrading to S2, my Sonos system which had been working for years without issue has started to randomly/intermittently stop playing audio from my Music Library (stored on a WD PR4100 NAS), although the controller shows the track is still playing. This can occur from only 2 mins into playing, or after 30mins. Rarely can you get more than 30 mins. It is occurring more and more frequently to the point we cannot get to listen to music for more than 10-20mins. This does not appear to occur when streaming radio stations from TuneIN. 

I have followed all advice regarding similar issues, checked WiFi signals, channels,  interference, different wifi router, powered off all speakers, then on one by one, etc. All other devices are working fine at the time of failure.

I thought it may be due to NAS going into sleep mode, but have tested while NAS is being consistently accessed, and also turned off the sleep setting.

I have found that removing and re-adding speakers to the group does seem to kick start the playing, but it jumps around tracks (plays part of one or two) a bit before settling down – but then works only for another short period before stopping again.

Appreciate any advice, as my Sonos system is now effectively unusable for the purpose I bought it… and is effectively becoming several thousand dollars worth of junk.

Sonos System Config:

Associated Product: xxx.xxx.xxx.124

---------------------------------

Play:3: Family Room

Serial Number: B8-xx-xx-xx-xx-F0:G

Sonos OS: S2

Version: 12.2.2 (build 61183220)

Hardware Version: 1.8.1.3-2.0

Series ID: A100

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.124

WM: 1

OTP:

Playbar: Lounge

Serial Number: 34-xx-xx-xx-xx-16:G

Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-2.2

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.160

Audio In: Stereo PCM 2.0

OTP:

Play:3: Master Bedroom

Serial Number: B8-xx-xx-xx-xx-BE:A

Hardware Version: 1.8.1.3-2.0

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.141

OTP:

Playbase: Playroom

Serial Number: B8-xx-xx-xx-xx-64:7

Hardware Version: 1.14.1.11-2.2

IP Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.27

Audio In:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

While we wait for a Forum moderator to look at that diagnostic, it sure sounds like duplicate IP address collisions to me. If you didn’t reboot the router while the Sonos devices were unplugged, they would not have been cleared from up your system. It’s not clear from your post the order in which the reboots occurred. 

However, that analysis is somewhat confounded by the whole ‘doesn’t happen on TuneIn’ aspect, so while it’s worth double checking, and perhaps assigning reserved IP addresses in your router’s DHCP table as a forward looking precaution, it’s not a guaranty. 

Thanks Bruce - it is definitely not duplicate IPs as I have scanned my network across all devices without any conflicts showing, and verified on the router console as well... 
but I will try reserving IP addresses just in case, but agree its unlikely to help given TuneIn is ok.

Appreciate any other advice or feedback from Sonos team after looking at the diagnostic.

thanks

Thanks Bruce - I’ve tried the reserving IPs but no change in behaviour.

Hi @Annazel S - hope you can take a look at this.

In frustration I have just purchased a new router (Netgear Nightawk AX12 (RAX200)) in the hope this would help. It has slightly improved, but not fixed the problem.

Today I was able to play for several hours of music from my NAS before getting the issue with audio stopping, but the Sonos app showing the track as still playing. No issues with any other device on the wifi. Diagnostic #: 897431646

Changing the speaker group (3 in the group and removed 1) and it jumped to the next track and audio played. Diagnostic#: 1260010831.

and it kept playing for about another 20 mins and then failed again. Diagnostic #: 1190131160

removing a speaker from the group did not work. I had to ungroup all and it started, then regrouped in the other two.

Since then it has occurred two more times, one time it restarted playing audio automatically after 30-60 secs.

This is very frustrating. Appreciate if I could get a response from Sonos team - thanks @Annazel S !!