Answered

Should I switch from Deezer HiFi to Premium?

• 11 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I am a happy user of Deezer’s HiFi tier with Sonos, and have been for several years (started on Deezer Elite back in the day...).  I chose the HiFi tier as it *was* the only tier offering FLAC quality (and back in the Elite days, it was the only service that integrated with Sonos).

My annual subscription is up for renewal next month and I see that FLAC streaming is now available on the cheaper Premium tier too.

So, are there any downsides if I ‘downgrade’ to Premium to save some cash?

Note:  I’m based in the UK.  I know that only the HiFi tier offers “360 Reality Audio” but I’m not interested in that.  Also it’s an individual account, so I don’t care about family features.

Advice please, from those who know!  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 11 April 2022, 13:25

View original

2 replies

Go ahead and change to Premium. It has the exact same service as HiFi/Elite did (including 360 Audio if you really care). Content is labelled as ‘HiFi’ in the Deezer app, and format ‘FLAC’ in Sonos as usual. It streams at FLAC bitrates as expected.

The only ‘upgrades’ available above monthly Premium are to pay annually, or the family deal.

To be honest I don’t know why Deezer didn’t just automatically convert all HiFi subscribers. After all they reduced the monthly subscription from ~£20 to ~£15 automatically some time back. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks Ratty - I’ll switch to Premium.

I’ll also be asking Deezer support why they are automatically renewing me on what is now a non-existent tier (HiFi) at £180/year instead of moving me to Premium (with all the same features) at £108!  I doubt I’ll get a sensible answer...