Question

Setup Synology as a music server

• 18 March 2016
  • 17 replies

Has anyone succeeded in using a Synology as a music server for Sonos players ?

I know you can connect direct to the Music share on the Synology, but that is subject to a limit on the number of tracks/songs. I want to use the Synology as a music server that my Sonos players can connect to.

I have both the Synology Media Server and the Synology Logitech Media Server set up and succesfully detected by my PC music player (Media Monkey for Wndows).

My Sonos can see the Media Monkey media server, but the Sonos cannot see either of the two Synology media servers.

Has anyone got this working ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

No. The only music server some have had success with is Subsonic.
Have you tried to simply create a folder on your Synology, copy your music on it, and then set up your Library accessing this folder? that's what i have at home with a WD NAS
I don't use the built in media server, but rather use SONOS to index my library from a folder.
Fabien
Fabien,

Thank for your response. Yes, I have done that successfully.

But, as I said, that is subject to the limited capacity of the Sonos library. I want to access a media server on the Synology in order to avoid the limit on the number of tracks the Sonos can 'see'.
Have you actually tried indexing the music in Sonos? If you definitely have more than 65k tracks Sonos won't index them all. But if it stops indexing after a lower figure you may be able to tweak filenames (or metadata) to increase the track count. Go to http://IP_address_of_Player:1400/status/tracks_summary to determine the limiting factor.
I checked, and i didn't hit the hard limit, i'm "only" @ 42K songs.. still a lot more to add. a good reason for not having any issues while indexing with my System
ratty.

Thanks very much. Yes I have hit a lower limit. My tags are quite long, but I really don't want to start editing them all because I do definitely have more than 65k and so will need to do some triage unless I can get a media server to work no matter what I do ith the tags.

The readout was:-

Title
MAX 65000
COUNT 29238
Store Size 3604480
Store Used 2528464
Entries Size 262144
Entries Used 59556
Conflicts 11174

I can't really tell much from that, but I'm guessing you can ?

Two other questions:-

1) I do have some folder structure so I could 'flatten' that structure. I guess that would reduce the storage required by eliminating the folder tree for each file. Is that correct ?

2) Is there other info that you can get from the player by using the IP address ? Is this documented somewhere ?
I have hit a lower limit.
I can't see where.
MAX 65000
COUNT 29238
Store Size 3604480
Store Used 2528464
Entries Size 262144
Entries Used 59556
Conflicts 11174

COUNT vs MAX (the hard track limit) -- 45%
Store Used vs Store Size (the string store size) -- 70%
Entries Used vs Entries Size (the number of unique strings) -- 23%

All look to be well in. (Conflicts isn't relevant to index capacity.)

1) I do have some folder structure so I could 'flatten' that structure. I guess that would reduce the storage required by eliminating the folder tree for each file. Is that correct ?
It's unlikely to have much effect, since each unique directory path should only be stored once for all the tracks contained therein. Others find that renaming the files as 1.flac, 2.mp3, has more impact on Entries Used and Store Used. A decent tag editor can do a bulk rename and back up the current filename to a custom tag at the same time.

2) Is there other info that you can get from the player by using the IP address ? Is this documented somewhere ?
Start with http://IP_address_of_Player:1400/support/review. It's all for internal use and undocumented. The contents of many areas remain indecipherable to those outside Sonos.
http://IP_address_of_Player:1400/status will take you to similar data, but just for the player in question.
ratty,

Stupid me. I had hit a limit but pruned whole branches of the structure to check that it was a capacity problem. I'd forgotten that I didn't fill back to capacity, so, right now, I am below the limit. Sorry to waste your time. From the above, I know how to check when I do hit it again.

By the way, I did hit the limit at around 40-45k tracks. My guess is that the total size of all the tags was the constraint. I assume that is the 'Store Size' and 'Store Used' parameters ?

Would appreciate an explanation of what "Conflicts" means in the statistics above.
By the way, I did hit the limit at around 40-45k tracks. My guess is that the total size of all the tags was the constraint. I assume that is the 'Store Size' and 'Store Used' parameters ?
That's the parameter which is nearest its limit. The lengths of tag strings and of filenames would be potential factors.

Would appreciate an explanation of what "Conflicts" means in the statistics above.
It's a corollary of the use of hashing in the internal data structures. If Conflicts became massive it might start to impact index retrieval speed. If you're interested you can start reading here.
You can use the Synology audio station app. to send music and playlists direct to your Sonos system. Audio station will already have indexed the music on your NAS and won't have the limitations of Sonos' indexing. In audio station go into settings -> remote player.
Thanks. It not exactly what I was after because I don't get the Sonos app's interface, but it's a lot, lot better than nothing.
try installing plex media server on the synology. then add the plex service (currently in beta).
In audio station go into settings -> remote player.
Strange - I can't seem to find that option.... Any ideas?
Make sure the Synology NAS account you are using to access Audio Station has "admin" rights, the settings option will now include a privileges tab with a list of NAS users (I logged in as Admin user). Now, enable the "USB/DLNA Renderer" for the accounts you want to be able to stream Audio Station output to your Sonos devices. Once "USB/DLNA Renderer" option has been enabled, you can select your desired output device from the My computer/USB speakers/[Media renderer name] (indicating the device you have been streaming music to) drop-down menu on the control bar (bottom right icon next to "mini player icon"

Thanks - I'll have another look at it...
OK - seems to be working now - thanks. Seems very slow, though, but at least it works...
I have found this - but how can I make Sonos see Audiostation on Synology?