Setting up a Music Share for Sonos 2 ( raspberry pi 4 Model B / samba server)

• 23 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi Community,

I have spent the good part of a week trying different options to be able to mount my music library to Sonos 2.  None had worked and I was almost going to give up.  and then I had the great idea to use a RaspberryPi 4 Model B and set up a simple samba server (on an external USB SSD drive).

It works a treat and there is no reverting to SMBv1 or anything .. its fast and secure and all of my music is now available  .. I am sharing this in case anyone else experiences issues trying to get their personal  music library added to Sonos 2 

Happy to share the details with anyone else that needs it

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Certain routers (my Asus, for example, or Synology NAS) have problems with Samba-to-Sonos, even if the router works nicely with other clients…. I shall start another post on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m a fan of using a Pi and a SSD for Sonos too, works great. I don’t have another SMB server available on my LAN.

If you don’t have another server available I’d recommend giving the Pi option a look.

If you have an older S1 setup that needs SMB v1 a Pi can also serve as a gateway from your current NAS so you can keep it more secure.

Where was the music stored originally then?

I’ve never had problems with accessing network shares, from S1 or S2. Currently my library is on solid state storage connected to a router, fetched using SMBv2.