Setting playback quality for Spotify

• 13 September 2012
  • 30 replies

Hello, I wonder if and also how I can set the quality of the playback for Spotify in my Sonos-system? In Spotify-app for Iphone I can choose between approx. 96, 160 or 320 kbit/s. In Spotify-app for Windows I can choose to check or uncheck "High quality streaming" //Tobias

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Doh! It just dawned on me. Are we talking at cross purposes on the meaning of "bit rate"? I'm meaning the number of bits used to represent volume (typically 16 bit for a CD) at any instant in time. However, mp3 files are quoted as having a certain "bit rate", which is the information rate per unit time. CDs are 1411 kbps, whereas mp3s are typically 128 - 320 kbps. (For a CD, 44100 samples per second multiplied by 16 bits resolution multiplied by 2 channels).
Doh! It just dawned on me. Are we talking at cross purposes on the meaning of "bit rate"? I'm meaning the number of bits used to represent volume (typically 16 bit for a CD) at any instant in time. However, mp3 files are quoted as having a certain "bit rate", which is the information rate per unit time. CDs are 1411 kbps, whereas mp3s are typically 128 - 320 kbps. (For a CD, 44100 samples per second multiplied by 16 bits resolution multiplied by 2 channels).

Now you've got it! The phrase "lower the bit rate" to me means lowering the amount of information stored per unit of time. No matter what the digital volume does, it doesn't resample the stream into a lower bit rate.
Agreed.
Peter - thank you for picking up the baton and explaining much better than I possibly could have!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
To try to add a little more clarification, "sample" rate is the more correct term for the samples per second recording rate. Bit "depth" is the number of discretized bits to make up the dynamic range. Each sample occurs at the bit depth and is recorded every fraction of a second according to the sample rate. Bit "rate" is a term associated with audio compression formats for streaming etc. and involves manipulation of various elements. Digital volume affects bit depth. Not bit rate.