Separate Albums with the Same Name (IDTags)

• 24 October 2013
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
A Sonos user reported that when he filters by album, he only get shown one entry "Greatest Hits" which contains all tracks of all three "Greatest Hits" albums of different artists (Track1, Track1, Track1,Track2, Track2, Track2 and so on). His folder structure is ok though. He would have expected to see three "Greatest Hits" entries with the respective artist in second line as usual. What do you think about it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
I consider this problem more as a bug. I noticed this problem earlier and made a workaround. I changed all my 'Greatest Hits', "The best of" etc, albums by adding the artist in the album name. But it looks stupid: Greatest Hits, Abba by Abba -:)
yes, I regard this as a bug too and contacted support about this, I'd say there's just a different database query necessary isn't it ?
Userlevel 2
Yes, something in the style "select from album_title" should be changed to "select from album_title,album_artist" ...
Write a reply   
I vote for this one as well.
I also consider this a bug and I really don't understand why Sonos not are fixing it. It has been reported and requested during the last couple of years.  Now it seems to be parked on the ideas list. I would rather have had this fixed than any new updates to the UI.  I had hoped it would be fixed in the newest version of the controller. But the bug is still there. 

KR.
Henrik
This is deffo a bug.  I have a few double albums by the same artist, and Sonos merges all of the tracks from the albums under one album heading.  The track listing runs.... 01, 01, 02, 02, 03, 03, ..... 
Does anyone have a solution?
Cheers
George
Userlevel 2
This is deffo a bug.  I have a few double albums by the same artist, and Sonos merges all of the tracks from the albums under one album heading.  The track listing runs.... 01, 01, 02, 02, 03, 03, ..... 
Does anyone have a solution?
Cheers
George

Of course it's a bug!.I send a message to Sonos more than 2 years ago. I changed the album title to include the albumartist with MP3TAG utility. Now the albums with the same title are handled properly. But it looks a bit silly example: Albumtitle=Greatest Hits, Bruce Springsteen - Albumartist=Bruce Springsteen
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
How can this NOT be a bug ?  Is this really an 'Idea' ?? Of course it should be fixed !
I agree. There are more and more (nice!) changes coming to the UI, but it's still not possible to have the same album name twice, search for featured artist or support multiple artists properly. Please work on the basics before doing anything else.

PLEASE FIX THE BUG
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure it will. So of course I also want it fixed. I think however that the concept of albums is only interesting to a minority of users these days. And that is why not much effort is being put into fixes and improvements in this area. Unfortunately 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure it will. So of course I also want it fixed. I think however that the concept of albums is only interesting to a minority of users these days. And that is why not much effort is being put into fixes and improvements in this area. Unfortunately :-)
I just checked and it has happened to me as well. So I will go with the idea of manipulating the album titles while I wait and hope for a fix.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure it will. So of course I also want it fixed. I think however that the concept of albums is only interesting to a minority of users these days. And that is why not much effort is being put into fixes and improvements in this area. Unfortunately :-)
I just checked and it has happened to me as well. So I will go with the idea of manipulating the album titles while I wait and hope for a fix.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Talking to myself here. This issue is also described herehttps://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/similar_named_albums_get_lost_only_one_appears_by_album
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This issue is also dealt with here https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/similar_named_albums_get_lost_only_one_appears_by_album And the good news is it says "In progress". That's exactly what we wanted to hear!
I think however that the concept of albums is only interesting to a minority of users these days. 

Um, no.

Also, the concept of a proper data query shouldn't matter even if it only affects a "minority of users."

The album concept is alive and very meaningful. When you go to a gig, do you time yourself for particular songs? No, I dont think so. You stay for the whole performance and take away a whole experience.
Userlevel 2
When I go to a gig of the U2, i do not expect to hear Simple Minds or whatever -:)
Userlevel 1
Badge
This problem is very common with classical music, including opera. If I look up "Goldberg Variations", I don't want to hear the 1st track of many Goldberg Variations, and then the 2nd track of many versions.

I don't want to hear multiple tracks of the Barber of Seville, possibly by different composers. This is where I discovered the problem.
I am amazed this has not yet been fixed. This bug has annoyed me for years, but I have not reported it since I thought it was obvious and was hoping it would get fixed anyway.

I have stopped using the Sonos app when listening to classical music, chorus and opera since I can't find the records I know I have. Albums usually have the same name as the work but with different orchestras/singers/arrangers, so albums with identical names is very common.
As has been noted by many who have commented on this issue over the past FOUR YEARS (!) I am surprised that Sonos has not done anything to address this issue. I am a relatively new Sonos user and just stumbled on this issue myself last night. I finally spoke to a Sonos support rep this morning and he confirmed my findings (which have been well articulated above). As was pointed out in the thread above, this is just a matter of establishing a metadata "hierarchy" so that the software looks at more than just the album name when displaying the album view. I find it hard to believe that a fix for this issue would be unreasonably difficult or expensive. Apple, for one, seems to be able to do. Anyone from Sonos care to comment??