Answered

Search spotify by artist AND track on Sonos Controller

• 14 January 2016
  • 5 replies

I think like most people, I hate the Sonos Controller .. however, I could bear it if I could search for songs, but I can't. Am I doing something wrong?

In Spotify, if I type "Billy Joel My Life" I will get the desired song. But in the Sonos Controller, searching via Spotify, "Billy Joel My Life" returns 0 results because:

a. there is no artist called billy joel my life
b. there is no song called billy joel my life (although I do get all the karaoke versions which have artist and track in their name)

So that means I either need to search for the artist, "Billy Joel", then trawl through all his albums manually, or search for the track "my life" which returns too many random tracks to be useful!

There has to be a better way?

Thanks!!!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 January 2016, 01:56

If you're doing a search for a specific song, lead with the title of the song and then the artist.

Searching Spotify for the song "my life billy joel" comes up with 9 versions right at the top (you'll get those same results with the terms "my life billy" as well).
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're doing a search for a specific song, lead with the title of the song and then the artist.

Searching Spotify for the song "my life billy joel" comes up with 9 versions right at the top (you'll get those same results with the terms "my life billy" as well).
I have the same question.
As far as I can see the above response doesn't answer it, does anyone know how to search by artist and track?

More generally is there any way to make the search on sonos more performant or smarter? For instance if you type Haydn symphony 77 you will get nothing on sonos (but many results on spotify) because there is no album whose title is exactly that, but there are many albums whose title contain those words, although not in that exact order.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I only recently noticed how poor the search is in Sonos desktop controller - especially for the local library. My daughter was complaining that she couldn't find an album that I had said was there. She was typing Now 93 - and sure enough there were zero album results. I hadn't realised you need to type exactly Now Thats..... etc. Whereas as if you switch the search to Spotify, the Now 93 search works just fine.
Coincidentally, yesterday I was trying to find a particular track by an artist and failed because there were too many results that I couldn't be bothered scrolling through. I will try Ryan's track name first tip from above later. Are these ease of use 'tips' collated anywhere?
The tip does seem to work but you need to know the title of the album or title of song exactly, othewise you can get nothing...
Is this really the best UI we can get in search that actually searches like Spotify does and returns the results through the api to the sonos controller? It surely cannot be just a few people that this irritates.