Answered

Saving Playlists.

Evening; I am looking to save a queue as a Sonos playlist and when I save the playlist of songs I get a message saying This queue contains only tracks from mobile devices. These tracks cannot be saved to Sonos playlists. How do I over come this please. Simon
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 March 2016, 20:05

We've talked about tracks on mobile devices being unable to be saved to Sonos Queues here. If you're interested in reading more about it feel free to take a look.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Sonos controller cannot save a playlist of songs stored on your phone. The reason for this is because if someone were to try and play that playlist when your phone is not at home, it would produce error messages.

If the music in your playlist is from a supported Sonos service, or from a computer or networked storage device on your home network, then you would be able to save the playlist. Maybe copy the music to your computer, then allow Sonos to access the music from your computer instead?
I am experiencing the same problem with my iPad mini but all the music is already stored on my iPad what am I doing wrong the iPad is also my controller
Please, someone, either allow this or come up with a work-around. Grazie.
Userlevel 1
This is very very annoying. Could they not just allow you to save the playlist and if the track is not there, then skip over it?
All my songs are on my mobile device which is also the controller, if I had of known of this limitation before hand I would not have bought my Play 5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is there something keeping you from putting the songs on your network.  It will make everything much easier just having Sonos connect right to your itunes library on computer.  I know not what you want but is a much more reliable method then casting from the phone.
Userlevel 1
Hi Chris,

I keep my music collection on a micro SD which is generally in my phone. 

Since writing that post though I've copied it's contents on the laptop, and I can now create playlists on the laptop, and play them through the phone as the controller.

So, that worked, as a work around. Although as I needlessly must have the laptop open and on now to play the music, it seems like a strange and laborious way to do it.

thanks for the reply anyway
I agree, my music is on my smart phone and this is my controller. I just want to create playlists. I understand the argument about what happens if I'm out and the music being inaccessible but that is the users choice. I don’t see why also when I'm at home that I need to turn my PC on just to play a playlist when all the music is on my phone. I don't always want my PC on!! Please could this issue be resolved, it seems like many people are upset by this problem. Why can’t a playlist just be shown as greyed out to another user if they are at home and I am out with my mobile, making the playlist inaccessible.

Thanks
Adrian
Userlevel 2
Badge
I agree. I want to use a tablet as my music server setup permanently (i.e non-mobile) and the Sonos app decides for me that it is a mobile device (despite the opposite being true) and therefore I can't save a playlist, or worse, move my iTunes.xml file containing all my previously created playlists onto the tablet. It just ignores the .xml. This is an illogical and arbitary decision by Sonos that needs to be remedied. I find it annoying after spending many thosuands on Sonos gear that I'm hit with this limitation. Why don't they make it clear up front the limitations before you outlay the $$$.

Why can't the app just ignore tracks that aren't available or give the option of changing a setting that tells the app that this device will not be mobile and just available as any desktop on the network. I'm lead to believe you can do all this on a laptop, which last time I checked was a mobile device. Not very consistent, if that is the case.

As an annoying, cumbersome work around I have found that if I go to iTunes on my desktop and export each individual playlist to a separate .m3u file i can then copy them to my tablet's Playlist folder and Sonos will find and use them while ignoring the .xml file in the same folder. This just doesn't make sense. C'mon Sonos, this needs to be fixed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Sonos controller cannot save a playlist of songs stored on your phone. The reason for this is because if someone were to try and play that playlist when your phone is not at home, it would produce error messages.

If the music in your playlist is from a supported Sonos service, or from a computer or networked storage device on your home network, then you would be able to save the playlist. Maybe copy the music to your computer, then allow Sonos to access the music from your computer instead?

I really am missing the logic on this as any device could be mobile. After all many gamers have tower PCs with handles so they can pick it up and go. That blows the Sonos logic on this subject.
Hi Brett.  I have some sympathy with your views, but I would point out one thing.  A device is not "mobile" simply because you can physically pick it up and move it off the premises.  That would theoretically be true of anything that wasn't superglued to the floor.  Mobile devices run different operating systems, connect to networks slightly differently, and interact with Sonos differently. 

One consequence of this is that music stored on a laptop, when connected and switched on, can be played from other controllers but this is not true of music stored on a (truly) mobile device.

Using a mobile device as your main music source is suboptimal in many ways.  I'm all in favour of giving users choice, but the current situation is not quite as illogical as you state, and may not be trivial to change.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks John. I wish I could get Sonos to tell me if it is a trivial issue or not but they aren't very good at communicating that sort of thing.

In this particular circumstance running a tablet with a couple of speakers is a very simple solution to what i want to achieve, if i could easily use my existing playlists. On my home Sonos network I serve the music from a NAS which is a more robust solution but overkill for my second network.
OK Brett, and I understand better now why you aren't adopting a NAS as a solution across the board.  And agree that Sonos aren't good at that sort of communication (see also DTS support on Playbar, for example).  Good luck with getting Sonos to listen.  If it is simple to implement I hope they do it.    
This limitation seems pretty absurd, and I really don't understand why we're debating what's "mobile" and what isn't. What does it matter? It's still absurd Sonos doesn't support this. All of my music is in my iPhone and/or the cloud and accessible from numerous other mobile devices. My media center is a mobile device. We live in a mobile age. Everything is/should be mobile. One of the main selling points of the Sonos lineup from a technology angle is using mobile devices as a controller with the app. Most people have music on these devices - why in the world wouldn't you expect people to want to do this very thing? I'm a software engineer as well, and although I'm obviously not at all familiar with the product's tech stack on the backend, I can't imagine why this would be an impossible feature to include. I'm assuming the BA/Product Manager who left this out to begin with has been ridiculed and fired, and if by some chance the framework used was chosen/ coded in a way that poses this as a permanent limitation - then wow. That's really really embarrassing Sonos. Way to be the "best".
Time to do some refactoring. Fix it Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We've talked about tracks on mobile devices being unable to be saved to Sonos Queues here. If you're interested in reading more about it feel free to take a look.
I paid for my Sonos and I paid for my music. I also paid for my IPad on which I store my purchased music. Now, for heaven's sake, move into the 21st century and upgrade Sonos to enable me to make playlists on my Sonos from my music stored on my iPad. Believe it or not I live my life quite successfully without a laptop.
Another work around is to get an airport Express and connect the analog out to your Sonos analog input (assuming you have a model with this). Then simply airplay your iTunes playlist to Sonos.
Badge
I posted a solution to this thtiproblem that does not require programming, but does require a little patience and trial and error...

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/feature-request-export-and-import-sonos-playlists-5027121?sort=dateline.desc#comments

Good luck

James