Save me from Alexa

Userlevel 1
I've got an 8500 Sq foot house, entirely powered by Sonos - the only product I don't own is the playbase. My wife recently picked up an Amazon Echo and put it in the kitchen - she loves it and never uses the two play 3s anymore because she can just ask Alexa to play anything from our Spotify account. Now she wants more in the house - please for the love of all that is good give us a clue on when we can expect to see Alexa integration. The Play 5 - Echo Dot solution is terrible - we've heard it's coming on the forums for awhile - if it doesn't come soon my Sonos system will start collecting dust as my wife starts filling the house with Echos.

A loyal Sonos evangelist

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I suspect you will be even more challenged once she discovers the new Echo Show. I don't think the integration will cover this move to the next level by Amazon, if it delivers all that is being touted for it. You may well end up with a combination of the two systems, and a subsequent optimisation that may reduce the Sonos presence to where that makes more sense.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Kumar you are probably right - there are already two Shows on order 😞
Lol. Who is to say, even you may be a convert to it. I am a Sonos fan as well and to be honest, I see voice control as a gimmick, but the Show looks to be a lot more than just voice controlled music with some things added to it.
My wife recently picked up an Amazon Echo and put it in the kitchen - she loves it and never uses the two play 3s anymore
A question for you: how does the Echo sound in comparison to how just one 3 unit does in the kitchen? From that you could extrapolate as to how it would compare to Sonos when Echo pulls off the stereo pairing trick.
That said, I suspect women will still prefer a single Echo to a 3 pair because a kitchen is one place where hands free use is a great benefit. And if a Show allows them to video chat at the same time, Sonos hasn't a chance there! Availability of service like Spotify is another blow to the Sonos USP of the past - that of convenient/quick access to music of one's choice.
Userlevel 1
The 3 sounds much better - I'd compare the Echo more closely to a Play 1. My wife doesn't care how they sound.
That is typical of most women, and who is to say they are wrong. A lot of Sonos success was driven by them, many of who were reluctant to touch the Holy HiFi, even if allowed to do so. The circle has turned a little more with Echo.

But a play 1 is also very listenable, so must Echo be. And I expect sound quality from Echo to only improve in future.
Userlevel 1
Play 1s are great , we've got about a dozen of them around, I use them as the rear surrounds on all the tv setups.
Same here, Sonos everywhere. But I bought a bunch of Echo Dots around the holidays because I thought Alexa inogration was coming 1st of the year. Before my wife and daughter used Sonos like pros... Now my house is filled with crap sound. The Dots are just so bad at playing music and it's all they want to use because it's all about voice. Now rumors are buzzing about an Apple home voice speaker coming at WWDC... I prefer Siri to Alexa as we got a lot of HomeKit rocking in are place. If it's taking this long to work with Amazon, Apple will be years!!!
The Dots are just so bad at playing music
The one time I listened to the Echo, it was not bad, certainly listenable. The Show won't be worse, I imagine.
There is a reason why Echo made Sonos very nervous a year or so ago; similar to the Bill Gates epiphany about the internet in the early nineties when almost overnight he made Internet Explorer the centre piece of what had previously just been a Windows on local desktop strategy for his company. Microsoft coped and even flourished. RIM/Blackberry did not when their storm hit them. Sonos - an open question at this time.
Yep. I'm starting to get pressure about getting some of the Amazon products in here because my wife hears her friends at work talking about them. I've been patient about Sonos and their natural lag bringing anything to market, along with their reluctance to announce anything, but they are really starting to fall behind here. In the tech world, failure to produce generally means you can't.
The one time I listened to the Echo, it was not bad, certainly listenable.
An Amazon Echo sounds pretty good, almost as good as a PLAY1. But an Amazon Echo Dot the little ones, basically the top part of an Echo sounds bad. That's what I have a bunch of. Figure it's all I need sense Sonos was about to lunch Alexa features.
Yep. I'm starting to get pressure about getting some of the Amazon products in here because my wife hears her friends at work talking about them. I've been patient about Sonos and their natural lag bringing anything to market, along with their reluctance to announce anything, but they are really starting to fall behind here. In the tech world, failure to produce generally means you can't.
Right! Everyone and his wife would be happy and grateful for an error-prone Alexa coming to life with Sonos tomorrow morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

An Amazon Echo sounds pretty good, almost as good as a PLAY1.

Sorry, I don't agree that an Echo is in the same ballpark as a PLAY:1 for audio quality -- just so readers without the benefit of owning both don't get misled into a purchase they'll regret. (And yes, I mean Echo, not Echo dot; I have both.)

I agree with the product strategy aspects of this discussion. I think the Alexa/Sonos integration will be good when it comes, with each company playing to its strengths. And Sonos will follow up with similar integrations for other 'assistant' technologies, in an open 'platform' fashion much the same way it has done with streaming services. Sonos cannot compete with Amazon, Google, Apple for the assistant intelligence, so it has to find its best fit within the ecosystem -- which is centred on the highest quality and highest convenience audio experience.

Get this right, and it will boost Sonos' business rather than threaten it.

Not even remotely as good as a Play:1.
Badge
I can't believe how sexist this thread is. I think many working parents would love to have the convenience of Alexa/google home but want it on a Sonos. There are many parents with little kids and or many who may have paraplegia or quadriplegia who need the hands free convenience of Alexa/Google home but want it on a Sonos. Until Sonos can offer the hands free option of speaking into it and it making lists, controlling the temp of your house, yea, Sonos will suffer. It stinks because the quality of Sonos is so much better. Many have both.
Badge

Sorry, I don't agree that an Echo is in the same ballpark as a PLAY:1 for audio quality -- just so readers without the benefit of owning both don't get misled into a purchase they'll regret. (And yes, I mean Echo, not Echo dot; I have both.)

I agree with the product strategy aspects of this discussion. I think the Alexa/Sonos integration will be good when it comes, with each company playing to its strengths. And Sonos will follow up with similar integrations for other 'assistant' technologies, in an open 'platform' fashion much the same way it has done with streaming services. Sonos cannot compete with Amazon, Google, Apple for the assistant intelligence, so it has to find its best fit within the ecosystem -- which is centred on the highest quality and highest convenience audio experience.

Get this right, and it will boost Sonos' business rather than threaten it.
I can't speak to the Echo/Echo dot. But as far as the integration, absolutely. It is needed, but I am glad they are not sacrificing quality for quantity.
I can't believe how sexist this thread is. I think many working parents would love to have the convenience of Alexa/google home but want it on a Sonos. There are many parents with little kids and or many who may have paraplegia or quadriplegia who need the hands free convenience of Alexa/Google home but want it on a Sonos. Until Sonos can offer the hands free option of speaking into it and it making lists, controlling the temp of your house, yea, Sonos will suffer. It stinks because the quality of Sonos is so much better. Many have both.
What do sexists and handicapped people have in common :? By the way, I am a woman with a handicap.
Is there a best of both world solution available even now if a Dot was to be wired the line in jack of one 5 unit of a stereo pair? Or even just a single 5? Would this not be the Echo with the better sound?
PS: Sorry, just discovered this on the subject : https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/using-echo-dot-with-sonos-line-in-6735691
I notice that the conversations there are more than a year old now...hopefully Sonos is a lot closer to releasing its magic a lot before "sometime in 2017"!
Is there a best of both world solution available even now if a Dot was to be wired the line in jack of one 5 unit of a stereo pair? Or even just a single 5? Would this not be the Echo with the better sound?
A dot wired to the line in of a Sonos unit is still a toy with very limited so called skills. I have got one wired to my Connect.

PS: Sorry, just discovered this on the subject : https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/using-echo-dot-with-sonos-line-in-6735691
I notice that the conversations there are more than a year old now...hopefully Sonos is a lot closer to releasing its magic a lot before "sometime in 2017"!

What magic :? Remember, improving and enhancing Alexas' skills is Amazon's job.

Why does this all bother you – you don't own an Echo, neither a Dot. Are you a Sonos employee fearing for his job?

The integration is a joint project between the two, by the way. So, guys, where's the fun when you don't start pestering Amazon in a similiar fashion?
Are you a Sonos employee fearing for his job?

No one was supposed to know this; please don't tell Spence.
I don't think a comparison of sound quality between a Play:1 and Echo (non-dot) is really the right question to ask. The Echo isn't trying to be better sound quality, it strives to be just good enough. I don't even think it would be a good idea for Amazon to try and improve sound quality much, since Google, Apple, and the rest will be competing with them on other features primarily. None of the competition is looking to take on Amazon by getting significant better sound quality.

I also think Amazon wants to avoid raising their price point. There goal is to get every house filled with these things so they can control the eco-system. You can't do that if it's too expensive for many people to justify. They do know that there is a significant part of the market that does care about sound quality, which is why they put in bluetooth and line out. They also must realize that they are better off working with others companies that do some things better then them, and allowing others to use their tech when needed...as long as they control the eco-system.

I think that's good and possible bad news for Sonos and their customers. It's good as I think that means that Sonos won't have to compete with Amazon on sound quality. It could be bad because Amazon may not think the segment of the market is big enough to put much effort into it. At the very least, Sonos can surely make a new speaker with Alexa built in. I hope it does come to that (only) as I don't want to be tempted into buying new speakers just for this feature.
I invested in Sonos the High-Fidelity-Multi-Room-System four years ago, not in Sonos the Wannabe-StarTrek-AI-Supertoy and neither I'd like to see them 'regenerating' into one.
Echo is garbage compared to a Play 1. Sorry.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm going the same route. The Echo doesn't have as good of sound quality as my one 3 in the kitchen, but I can much more easily listen to what I want to. And since I tend to listen to podcasts, NPR, or Audiobooks when I'm cooking, I don't really care about pristine sound quality (I just want it to be loud enough to hear over sizzling pans). It's not even really the hands free that did it for me -- it's just that I can listen to *anything* I want (if it's not native to Echo then I just connect my phone via bluetooth).
I want the best of both worlds. Audio fidelity and ease of use with voice control with an Echo. I can't tell you how many times I walk in the door, want to continue to listen to my Audible book or music and my wife is listening to something on the Echo rather than using the Sonos system. We know he audio quality is there, but ease of use for my wife? not so much. Make us all happy please.

from a feature perspective, have the integration use the Sonos system as the output of the Echo and Dot's. or just embed Alexa into Sonos.