Answered

Same album name/different artists confusion

I have two albums in my local library with the same exact name, and both are by two different artists. The tags are correct for each album. When I search for that album in the desktop controller and the iOS app, it only shows one of the albums in the list. When I click it to examine the tracks, the contents of both albums are displayed. Is this a setting I'm missing or a bug?
icon

Best answer by ratty 1 May 2019, 17:47

'Twas ever thus. Searching for "Greatest Hits" is something of a classic.
View original

15 replies

'Twas ever thus. Searching for "Greatest Hits" is something of a classic.
Ugh.
I add ... by Artists name to the title

e.g. Greatest Hits by Sonos
Badge
Imagine that you put yourself out in the market as the premier audio company but you've developed software that doesn't know that Black Sabbath's Greatest Hits is not the same as Taylor Swift's Greatest Hits which is not the same as Heart's Greatest Hits which is different than ABBA's Greatest Hits which, again, isn't quite the same as Billy Joel's Greatest Hits.

Further imagine that the fix for this would take approximately four hours to design, implement and fully test.

I noticed this problem long a while ago with two albums titled 1989 but figured something was up with the tagging and never bothered looking at it. It occurred to me earlier to look at Greatest Hits and discovered the extent of SONOS' failure.

I've been a big SONOS fan and have recommended it often. But no more. I'm getting rid of my six speakers and moving on. Their product line hasn't kept up with where it should be (how can there not be an outdoor speaker!) and they've under-delivered on key promises (Google Home integration) at too high a price to continue to reward them for sheer stupidity. I don't need to feel like an asshole when I brag about this amazing, but very expensive, music player and then have to tell them, "yeah, but...well...it doesn't know how to sort albums."
In all fairness Greatest Hits results do return with the Album Artist name underneath, along with artwork. What is your suggestion?

There are outdoor speakers for use with the amp

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/sonos-architectural

and a portable...

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/move.html
Badge
Actually, we should start a registry of albums that SONOS is too dumb to recognize:

1. Any Greatest Hits or Hits or Essential album.
  2. Many Live albums.
  3. The Black Album: The Beatles, Jay-Z, Prince
  4. Bad Reputation: Thin Lizzy, Bad Reputation
  5. 1989: Taylor Swift, Ryan Adams
  6. Let it Be: The Beatles, The Replacements
  7. Peter Gabriel's first four albums.
Just a (very) small sampling. Feel free to add on 😆
Badge
In the app, when I go to Albums and scroll down to the album "1989", I see one album by Ryan Adams with the appropriate artwork. When I play it, it plays the first track, but then it plays the first track from Taylor Swift's album also titled "1989". Then it plays Ryan Adam's track #2, Taylor Swift's Track #2, RA-3, TS-3, RA-4, TS-4, etc.

When I scroll to "Greatest Hits", same thing--I again only see one album. But I have twelve greatest hits albums. Same behavior as above; if I play it, I get twelve track #1's in a row from different artists.

This is what others see. Not sure what you mean by "Greatest Hits results do return with the Album Artist name underneath, along with artwork" because it's not what others experience.

What I suggest is that it work properly and as anyone would expect: that I see two "1989" albums and twelve "Greatest Hits" albums with the album artist and artwork properly identified for each.

I don't consider buying "architectural speakers" and a Connect a realistic outdoor solution--if I did, I could have implemented that years ago. The Move speaker is at least something of an outdoor solution, but again not what I think most people are looking for: a SONOS that can be wall-mounted in an outdoor area like every other speaker they have. The Move is compelling, but I can't leave the charger outside, so it's not a true outdoor speaker, and can't wall-mount it, so even it could be charged, it's not secure.
^^^

Your tagging needs work, try Artist and Album artist tags.
Badge
My tags are correct. This is a bug reported by many people over several years, not something that only I am experiencing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Whilst I understand the issue, which is a basic database construction problem, it's never struck me as a major problem because I tend to know what artist I want to play, rather than deciding I want to play a random Greatest hits album.

So all my searches start with the artist, so the issue only arises if that artist has had more than one greatest hits album, then it does become an issue of tagging.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Since sonos never explain one has to assume that there is something odd about how the Sonos music library is constructed. Otherwise why would they not fix something that every other music service I have ever used manages to cope with.
Whatever the reason it is one of those frustrating things that just takes the edge off the whole Sonos experience.
All comes down to the programming and this is where Sonos falls short. Has been a problem for the past several years. This feature isn’t that difficult to do, yet whoever is programming the apps isn’t very adept. Very obvious when features get dropped seemingly because the developers can’t handle it so hey let’s just drop the feature for no good reason other than we don’t know how to do it.
Badge
Whilst I understand the issue, which is a basic database construction problem, it's never struck me as a major problem because I tend to know what artist I want to play, rather than deciding I want to play a random Greatest hits album.

So all my searches start with the artist, so the issue only arises if that artist has had more than one greatest hits album, then it does become an issue of tagging.

Oh. Well. As long as you're okay...
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Oh. Well. As long as you're okay...

Yes, I'm perfectly okay, thank you.

I was making a suggestion. The other suggestion made in altering the tagging to incorporate the user name also got knocked back. Hardly worth trying to make suggestions, really.

By the way this is also a problem I faced in Microsoft Access and cant find away to resolve it. It was such a chore adding Out of the Blue (ELO) or Out of the Blue (Rick Wakeman) to differentiate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I've had some issues in the recent past with Ghost Albums, tracks etc.

Library re-fresh did not make a difference. What did work was moving the Sonos music search to an empty directory on my NAS. Doing a full scan, which returned nothing, as expected. Then reverting the music library setting to point to my music collection again and doing another scan. This resolved several small issues i was having.

May be worth a shot?