Answered

S1 Android App crashes every time I search in "stations"

• 28 September 2020
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi - recently I’ve had this issue - every time I search for a radio station and click on “stations” to refine the search, the app crashes.  I’ve cleared the cache, I’ve re-installed the app and it hasn’t resolved it.

I’m using the S1 app, a Samsung S20, and have the following services installed:

Sonos Radio

Amazon Music

Radio Paradise extension

TuneIn Radio

thanks

icon

Best answer by Echas1000 23 October 2020, 20:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Big Aura, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing us your concern and the troubleshooting steps that you have performed. Let me help you with this.

We have identified that the Sonos app crashes when you search using either the "Podcasts & Shows" Filter or the "Stations" filter using an Android device. We are already investigating to address the issue and that will be fixed in a future software update.

In the meantime, you can use an iOS controller to perform the action or you can Browse or Search for the respective content without using either the "Podcasts & Shows" or "Stations" filter.

If you need assistance with your Sonos or other information, please feel free to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 2

Hi Rowena

thanks for your response.  I’ve since found another thread that didn’t come up when I searched previously.  I don’t think it’s a great fix to suggest using IoS (I don’t have any apple devices).  The other suggestion is to search and not add the “stations” filter.  I’ve done this, and it doesn’t work - if I search for “BBC Radio 4” I have to have a filter applied (it defaults to “Artists”), and on the Artists filter, no results come up, so I am then forced to use the “stations” filter, and it crashes.

I see that earlier versions of the Android App don’t have this issue, so surely the answer is to roll back the most recent update, and re-issue it once Sonos have figured out what the problem is.  I used to be a beta tester for the Sonos app and recall multiple changes (almost daily) all made in advance of the launch of Apple Music - this seems like Android are being told “we’ll get to it” but with no time frame! Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Big Aura, thank you for your response. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps.

Let me suggest some steps to see if this would work for you. How about upgrading your system from S1 to S2? The known issue is happening on the S1 app only. I can check your system by submitting a diagnostic report to provide you what’s recommended.

If you wish to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process,  you may reach our Sonos Customer Care support by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Searches crash on all searches on Android S1 on the Samsung S9+

Many formerly working stations from many different countries will not play.

Some no longer exist and can’t be found on the searches that do actually work on the IOS and Windows.

IOS S1 app will not play the stations either so it is not a work around on iPhone 7

Windows app also does not play the same previously working stations.

It’s a frustrating mess.  The simplest of functions don’t work.  An expensive system should be glitch free or at least take iron them out much quicker.  I’ve ignored it for a while but I’m losing my will.  Why would I upgrade half of my already expensive system if it’s not going to work anyway?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Earquake, thank you for reaching back to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern and providing the details on your post. Your frustration is completely understandable. Let me help you with this.

We have identified that the Sonos app crashes on Android devices only. I'm sorry to hear that some stations are missing in the Sonos app.

I have a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. When you tried to search for the station missing in the Sonos app, did the app crashed or hanged on your iPhone/Windows PC?
2. Do you experience this issue on a particular music service or on your music services?
3. Have you tried searching the stations on Tune-in or Sonos Radio?
4. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the Sonos app on your iPhone and Windows PC?

If after checking the inquiries above and you're still having the same problem with your iPhone and Windows PC, please submit a diagnostic report from these 2 devices for us to check and post the confirmation number when you reach back to us.

We'll wait for your reply.

Hi.

Since I upgraded to the new sonos app it work fine for a couple of days now it won't even find my speakers. The Beam plays but can't control through the app (no found) and my 2 play 1s are not found either??????????

I have tried on 3 mobile phones  and uninstalled the app and re downloaded it still nothing 

You’ve posted in a thread about the Android controller app crashing when you use the ‘search’ function. May I suggest you open your own thread with your issue?

Same issue. I have mixcloud and there is no way to search without the app search which keeps crashing. Forcing early supporters of Sonos to upgrade and change is a slap in the face for those of us that have spent thousands of dollars in my case 10 years ago and counting. Please sort this out. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @Big Aura, thank you for your response. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps.

Let me suggest some steps to see if this would work for you. How about upgrading your system from S1 to S2? The known issue is happening on the S1 app only. I can check your system by submitting a diagnostic report to provide you what’s recommended.

If you wish to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process,  you may reach our Sonos Customer Care support by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

Thanks Rowena - I’ve done a diagnostic (482864225), but given the issue is with the most recent update to the S1 app (and common to anyone with android), surely the solution is to roll that update back rather than looking at individual user diagnostics? 

My wife, I’ve discovered, didn’t update so she can search for stations in the normal way.  So if I want to listen to the radio, I have to wait until she’s home!  Not a good solution. 

Re “upgrading to S2”, I have 4 sonos devices, 3 of which are on the S1 path only.  I have previously had unexplained issues with unstable bandwidth (when there’s perfect 35+mbps broadband throughout the house, my device can only manange 1mbps).  It’s currently stable now, but after 4 months of intermittent service, I don’t want to do anyting to destabilise it.

Also, there appears to be no way to roll back the S2 if I dislike it or if it causes my low bandwidth to return, I cannot really take that chance.

What is the timeline to reverse/re-do the latest app change?  thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Snowden, thank you for reaching us. @Airgetlam is correct. You can create your own thread or search for the same issue in the community that you may find options to resolve your concern.

@spatel, welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate bringing your concern to us. Do you experience the same on other music services?

@Big Aura, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking, most of your Sonos products are compatible with the S1 system. 
Can you also submit a diagnostic report from your wife's phone for us to compare?

We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and the issue will be addressed via a future software update. We will update this thread when we do.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Hi Rowena,

I have Spotify, Mix Cloud, Tunein - Any search in “Station”, “Genres”, “Podcast & Shows”, and “Shows” results in the app crashing. Interestingly, I can search “users” without the app crashing.

Userlevel 3

Just wanted to add that I’ve had the same problem as Big Aura for a few weeks… coincidently about the same time as the most recent S1 update (11.2.4) on 9/23. 

My search works for Artists, Songs, and Albums (only returning hits from MP3s on my local network shared folders).  However, when I click to search Stations (or Genres, Podcasts & Shows, etc.), the app stays up… but as I start typing in the search box (when it would typically start filtering results back), the app immediately crashes.  Even if I just try to click on a previous station I’ve searched for and selected - the app crashes as well. 

I think there’s something wrong with the search function when it’s trying to get results from outside your local network (i.e. when it has to search the interwebs, specifically for such things as Stations, Podcasts, etc.). Hopefully this information will help your developers narrow down the cause (I'm a software developer myself).  Thanks. 

My specs: 

Sonos S1 app - 11.2.3 (no option to update to 11.2.4); build 57381090. 

Andoid version 11

Google Pixel 3

6 Sonos speakers, 1 connect:amp (powering 6 speakers), 1 connect (connecting 10 speakers). 

It probably would be more helpful to Sonos engineers who are trying to fix this issue if you were to post a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, giving them more hard data to look at. Just post the number here, and the Sonos Forum moderators can collate the diagnostics, and send them over.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Airgetlam.  I think we've all spelled out specific steps to easily replicate this issue for them, but I can do that.

I tried various search methods, and crashed the app multiple ways, then ran System Diagnostic upon restart of the app.  Here's my # 790931234. Hope it helps.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Rowena B.  - I’ve just a diagnostic from my wife’s phone (immediately after trying, and succeeding, to seach for a radio station on the old app version) - it’s 801668321.

I’ve then searched on my (current version app) and it crashed.  I did a diagnostic on it too - 1620368692

thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@Airgetlam, thank you for your assistance.

@MusicEvokesEmotion, thank you for your response. The diagnostic shows that you're using an Android 11 and the Sonos app version is 57.3-81090.

@Big Aura, thank you for providing the diagnostic reports. Your wife's using Android 9, while you're using Android 10. Both Sonos app on your devices has the software version 57.3-81090.

Not all devices are affected by this issue. I'm glad that it's working on Android 9. This is why we are still investigating and looking for a resolution on affected devices. 

We do apologize for the inconvenience. We are continuously working to improve the functionality of this feature and will keep you posted on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm on S1 using a Galaxy S20 and "Podcast and Shows" search instantly crashes the app..

Same problem. I thinks sincerely to change to bose if Sonos don't patch s1 app.

Userlevel 2

I’ve just bought a Move but will not recommend SONOS.  S1 app is broken and SONOS seems incapable of fixing it.  Who cares about voice control and ARCOS?  Bring back an app that works.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I have the same problem on Android 10. I believe a recent update to Sonos S1 broken this a couple of weeks ago. The iOS S1 app seems unaffected.

Searching on my local music library or Spotify works fine. But as soon as I search Stations for anything, S1 immediately closes and I cannot use it. This makes searching for radio stations unusable.

My diagnostic number is: 1550445801

When is a fix anticipated?

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for reaching the Sonos Community.

We really do apologize for the inconvenience. We are continuously working to improve the functionality of this feature and will keep you posted on this.

In the meantime, you can do the following options:
1. Use an iOS controller to perform the desired action - if available.
2. Browse or Search for the respective content without using either the "Podcasts & Shows" or "Stations" filter.

Fortunately for me, I can control Sonos via my home automation system (OpenHAB) which I have configured with the radio stations my wife likes. OpenHAB software is free.

Given that Sonos have no schedule, it is an option for anyone technicaly minded. I say this knowing full well that the selling point of Sonos is plug and play simplicity of use, so this is not likley suitable for many people.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Same issue here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, 

Thank you for reaching us out in the Sonos Community.

We appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking this from your end. Your feedback is important to us.

In this specific scenario, we are still awaiting an update from our engineers for the development but as of this writing, we haven't received any to share with you. Please bear with us while our team is working towards a resolution for this.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.