Answered

Running surround for TV and also Stereo for turntable?

Help please: I have the Arc, a Sub and 2x Fives for my surrounds in my 'Living Room' zone (Arc+Sub+LS+RS) connected to my television.

Can I switch the 2 Fives for use in stereo with my turntable (yes, I have a preamp) so I can listen to vinyl as well (not at the same time)?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 August 2022, 04:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

When the Fives are being used as surrounds, it disables the line-in ports. So in order to connect your turntable, you would have to unbond the Fives as surrounds from the Arc first and then create a stereo pair with the two Fives.

When the Fives are being used as surrounds, it disables the line-in ports. So in order to connect your turntable, you would have to unbond the Fives as surrounds from the Arc first and then create a stereo pair with the two Fives.

Every time? What if I turn off the TV… will the Fives recognize the line-in?

Userlevel 7

Every time? What if I turn off the TV… will the Fives recognize the line-in?

Yes, every time. Turning off the TV won’t make any difference.

Thank you.

OK, I did that. Removed the Fives as surrounds, plugged in the Line In to the L Five. Add the R Five as a stereo pair and select it as the R speaker, sound coming from the speaker sounds terrible. When I select the L speaker as the R (facing the speakers), basically the opposite Five playing the tone… it seems to sound OK but when I get close the L Five sounds terrible. I’ve tried unpairing them over and over and it cannot figure out which is R and L and it continues to sound like trash. Set everything back for the television. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on. Leaving it be for the night. Signed, super frustrated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does your turntable have an internal preamp? Is it on?

Userlevel 7

Have you tried to Adjust Line-In settings ?

Does your turntable have an internal preamp? Is it on?

Yes, I have a preamp and it is on. 

Have you tried to Adjust Line-In settings ?

The thing is before I got my Arc and moved my Fives to the rear as surrounds the turntable with the Fives as a stereo pair worked just fine (even with the Sub). Ever since the change it’s been a nightmare.  I’ll experiment more, maybe tonight,  and report back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

After a change like this you do need to Trueplay your system again.

Likely, there is a physical issue with the turntable.

As a quick check, make sure that the cables are fully seated.

You can use the SONOS balance control to identify L/R.

I solved it… bought two One SL’s for the surrounds and moved the Fives for a dedicated stereo pair on the turntable.