Answered

Roam & TuneIn - Some Stations working, others not?

• 27 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Evening folks …. this really is Sonos development week for me. Thanks to all those helping me sort nearly half a dozen issues this week. And some days to go yet 😀

Just firing up my Roam to check all well for a trip next week. 

Playback of music sources all seem fine (Amazon / Tidal) and also Audible. But TuneIn only allows selected channels to play best I can see.

BBC World is fine, Kerrang is fine. But BBC Radio 4 or Radio Shropshire for example, shows the channel graphic but zero audio output?

Checked it’s up to date but otherwise I’m at a bit of a loss as to why. Not a frequent radio users and indeed only added the TuneIn service to the app yesterday.

Grateful for any direction why mainstream channels so not appear to be working.

Plan was to take this for a lengthy trip and run it off mobile. I was only testing Norton VPN to see if that was working ok and then found this one.

EDIT: Just continuing to look at this and it turns out it’s not just the Roam but all my Sonos devices not seeing Radio 4. But I did just test the BBC Sounds service and that does play perfectly. 

So in a sense problem solved. But I’m still unsure why it does not play via TuneIn when BBC World Service does?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 27 September 2022, 23:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It might (and I haven’t looked, tbh) that is has to do with the agreement between TuneIn and the BBC. More specifically, what the BBC has rights to broadcast internationally, which isn’t all of their content. Which is why BBC sounds exists, I suspect. 

Check on the TuneIn website and see if you can play it there. If not, then it’s the above. If you can, then there’s some other thing going on. 

Userlevel 7

The BBC has placed restrictions on how you can access BBC live radio in the United Kingdom.

See the following thread:

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Airgetlam, Mr T, many thanks for the information. 

Blimey that’s quite a step on the BBC’s part which I had no idea about. I have installed the BBC Sounds Service and in fairness it works very nicely.

In fact I only found out about this as planned travels meant the need for a VPN package to mimic locality. I had not even considered the service provision itself.

I only hope that after these steps that the wifi is solid. The area we are going to is notorious for poor internet performance. 

Thanks again folks for the superb support. I think I used my quota of Sonos ‘asks’ this week …. all with exceptional answers from a great community …. as always.

It’s hard to ‘lay the blame’ anywhere, since much of the geographic restrictions placed on many streamers, including the BBC,  are due to legal issues with broadcast rights, which, at least in my opinion, boils down to money, and laws. And, of course, by extension, lawyers. 

I’ve got mixed feelings about it, as I do believe the artists should be compensated properly. But I’ve also done some work in a past job trying to wrangle rights to play specific music pieces across various countries, so I’m a little more aware about what a rats nest of legal issues there is. Which leads me inevitably to the conclusion that if there is any question about rights, it ends up easier to restrict, than broadcast everywhere. 

Sad position to be in, perhaps in the future we’ll be able to resolve this properly. But it sure isn’t going to be an easy thing to do, if it ever happens. And unfortunately, it’s not overly visible to us as end users, either. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

It’s hard to ‘lay the blame’ anywhere, since much of the geographic restrictions placed on many streamers, including the BBC,  are due to legal issues with broadcast rights, which, at least in my opinion, boils down to Monet, and laws. And, of course, by extension, lawyers. 

I’ve got mixed feelings about it, as I do believe the artists should be compensated properly. But I’ve also done some work in a past job trying to wrangle rights to play specific music pieces across various countries, so I’m a little more aware about what a rats nest of legal issues there is. Which leads me inevitably to the conclusion that if there is any question about rights, it ends up easier to restrict, than broadcast everywhere. 

Sad position to be in, perhaps in the future we’ll be able to resolve this properly. But it sure isn’t going to be an easy thing to do, if it ever happens. And unfortunately, it’s not overly visible to us as end users, either. 

A tad rough laying it at a French impressionist artist’s door Airgetlam 😀 …. OK yes, a cheap spelling based gag that I could not miss.

Yes I cannot claim to know too much about this area although I do remember recently being a trip where I wanted watch the F1 and assumed that would be easy …  smartphone to in house hotel TV. Wrong, territory based restrictions in the ME put paid to that.

So this time I was trying out Norton 360 VPN in preparation for that when I found this one. 

Interesting insight you describe there. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for pointing out the autocorrect fail. Kind of amusing :)