Ripping CDs

• 1 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +5
I'm a vinyl guy. Shiny plastic discs terrify me.

That said, I'm ripping a few of my CDs to plop into my Sonos Music Library.

It appears in my Googling (and searching this site) that people use the term "bit rate" differently in different situations...

Bottom line - I'm using Exact Audio Copy to rip the discs to FLAC. My "bit rate" options go from 32kBit/s to 1024kBit/s. I know (I think I know) that Sonos only supports a bit-depth of "16" - but I presume that is different from "bit rate".

I presume I want to go with the highest bit [i]rate[/] possible, and the encoder will handle but depth. Yes?

I have read the primer (and pronounced it correctly!), and think I'm on the right path.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't know the program you are using so I can't help there.

When I rip CDs to FLAC I've never been concerned about the bit rate and don't try to force the FLAC encoder to modify the choices it makes. FLAC is a lossless format so you aren't able to make a low fidelity RIP by lowering the bit rate like you can with lossy formats. I'd say read the FLAC info and make sure what you are doing before you put a lot of effort into the project.

https://xiph.org/flac/index.html