Answered

Return or workaround ? YouTube Music

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I’ve seen all of the issues with YouTube Music floating around. I have been looking at Sonos for ages and was really excited to unbox a Move as the first addition to a collection. Now I am actually using the solution,

I have no option but to use the Sonos App (Android) which is extremely poor compared the YTM interface and also means I can’t like songs when I’m listening to my supermix which is how I discover all my new music. 

I also tend to use YTM on my PC and I can’t find a reasonable way to cast from YTM from the web version. 

Is there something I am missing or should I just return the speaker and look at an alternative solution which actually supports ‘cast’ ? 

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 March 2021, 10:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AdamCooperman 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

YouTube Music is a new service, and I’m sure more functionality will be added in time, but as of right now, you can’t mark favourites or like tracks via the Sonos interface.

The Sonos Move is Bluetooth capable, however and so can play whatever your phone/laptop will send to it. In addition, if you have an iPhone, iPad or Mac, you can AirPlay to the speaker without needing to change the Move’s operating mode. This means you can listen to the Move while using your favoured interface.

Please see our Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos and our Pair Sonos Move with Bluetooth pages for more help.

Is there any kind of timeline on the cast API integration, is it even something that is being considered ? 

I’m very much an Android and YTM user and ideally I want to Sonos my full house, this was dipping a toe in so Bluetooth isnt really suitable. 

Sonos won’t give timelines as a matter of principle.  YTM’s predecessor, Google Play Music, was in fact the first music service for which you could use the native app to stream on Sonos, and the integration into the Sonos app was good too.  Your timing has been unfortunate - trying Sonos at the point where Google has made the switch from GPM to YTM.

If your plans for Sonos include a HT device (Beam or Arc), that might give you a way into using the YYM app via your TV.  Or you can add Bluetooth to a Sonos Five using its line in and a cheap Bluetooth receiver.  In either case, the music can be played anywhere in your system, not just the device that provides the source.

Hopefully these would be temporary workarounds, but should work quite well in their own right.

Just a couple of ideas.