Renaming Track Titles

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm looking for a tool for easily renaming titles of FLAC files. The ones out there , like Tag & Rename, seem designed for editing and renaming File names, but not the titles. I'm not sure why this is important. Since I organize all of my music in folders, the files could all be 01 Track1, 02 Track 2, etc.

Specifically, I want to reorganize all of my compilation albums so that the Artist field is 'Various Artisis' and the Title is 'Title - Artist'. That way, I won't have a bazillion names showing up when I sort by artist, but will still be able to find an artist by searching and will be able to see them when browsing the tracks on an album.

Anyway, Tag & Rename certainly won't do this (unless I manually edit every single track) and I haven't found another tool that will. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken D

5 replies

Userlevel 2
So, you want to go from:

code:

Filename : Track 01.flac
Title : My Song Title
Artist : My Song Artist

to

code:

Filename : Track 01.flac
Title : My Song Artist - My Song Title
Artist : Various Artists

Is this correct?

-The Captain
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Exactly....
Userlevel 2
If you are willing to also carry the artist in the file name, Tag&Rename makes it very easy to do this.

1. When ripping album, put all tracks in the same album, rather than creating a directory for each artist. The directory structure I use looks like:

[genere]\Various Artists\[album]\[track number xx]. [track]

2. Rip album, with each track carrying its own artist.

3. Use Tag&Rename to preserve original artist name in track file name and track title, and make all artist tags be the same.

- Open album in Tag&Rename
- Select all tracks

- On Rename files (F2) tab page, set File name mask to
%6. %2 - %1
This assumes track file names are to have track number.
I prefer to carry the artist in parenthesis, so I use:
%6. %2 (by %1)
- Press Rename button

- On Get tags from file name (F4) tab page, set File name mask to:
%6. %2
- Press Write Tags button

- On Multi file tag editor (F3) page, check Artist box, and set the Artist field to: Various Artists
- Press Save Tags button.

Some compilation albums already have the artist name in the track title (e.g. Some Track - Some Artist). In such a case you can either just leave it alone, or extract the artist name with Tag&Rename with a suitable File name mask (e.g. %6. %2 - %1).

Sorry for the delay in posting this; I hope it is still useful.
Userlevel 2
Might I recommend mp3tag. Check it out at http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

It's very powerful and best of all FREE. You can come up with quite a few different custom "actions" to perform on files and tags.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
thanks. I'll check it out. I'd rather not have to add the artist name to the file name as in the previous post.

Ken

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings