Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Come on Sonos, our music libraries are mobile and you need to support them!!

227 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Very upset to the point of wanting to know if there is a legal case to get my money back on the three speakers and the controller (can't remember the correct name, it links to the amp.) that we have.
This is the only feature my wife uses and the only reason we bought the Sonos.

She does not have the time to manage multiple playlists and music collections.
We don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a streaming service just for this feature. Sonos should pay that for us, they have dropped a key feature.

The simplest solution would be for them to add it as a firmware update to their older products, specifically, in our case the Sonos Play 1's.

The second option would be to offer a significant trade in for older products.

I like a real world example because it often illustrates the absurdity of what software vendors think they can get away with.
If a car manufacturer came along and took one of the doors off of your car and told you to just hang on tight round corners, you would tell them they were crazy.
Sonos take away a wheel and say it's OK you can buy a skateboard and prop that corner up with that, that's obviously OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 3
Leaving aside the anti Apple ranters this is really not on.
My wife and I use this feature daily - without it my 3 Play 1's are largely useless - I am not buying a £200 replacement, a premium streaming service or leaving my Mac on permanently.
It may have been caused by Apple but I bought the speakers off Sonos. They offered the feature, they are taking it away. Airplay works on other Sonos devices - either modify the Play 1, give me a replacement that works or my money back!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Did you read this thread or the announcement? If you did you would know this is a situation made by apple. Want a rant then go and rant to them. ...and airplay 2 works just as well if not better.
I did read the thread but, in my opinion, the onus is still on Sonos, they marketed their product and sold a lot of them based on a feature that they are now withdrawing.
The reason for the withdrawal is unfortunate for Sonus but why should I and the thousands of other customers be left with products that cannot be used the way we expected to use them. This should not be at our cost.
Spending nearly £600 to replaced my 3x Play:1's with One's is quite a high cost for a consumer to pay because a corporation made a poor design choice.
Also, I cannot find an alternative Sonos product to replace the Connect, which does not appear to support AirPlay!
At a minimum Sonos should offer one hell of a discount for me to trade in the soon to be useless speakers as they will no longer operate as advertised.
That is my opinion too. A significant trade in value, would be an acceptable solution.

I'd still ask, why can't they just firmware update the Play:1's to support AirPlay?

Also to get the whole rant out of the way...
What stops a corporation, claiming to have a technical issue they can't resolve, just to force every customer to buy a new version of their product every year or two!
Userlevel 2
I'm so upset!
This is a feature I really like and use a lot.
I've 10000 favourite songs on my ipod and this means i only get to use the partially supported Airplay function to play my songs.
I think Sonos should put more effort into finding a way to resolve the issue rather than reducing the functionality on a system which i think is already restricted by the lack of a bluetooth connect (i can live with this).
Its uncharacteristic of an engineering (sound engineering) firm to step down so easy!

NO to this!.....improve, don't reduce!
Userlevel 2
I am very upset as well. I have 3 of the speakers and the only reason I bought them was for the ease of use via my iPhone. I understand this appears to be an Apple induced problem, but it still sucks.

As a product user and shareholder of both Apple and Sonos I feel screwed.

Really hoping the 2 companies can work this out. If their solution is to get me to buy replacement upgrades from either company then I'll find another company. Again, this really sucks.

At a minimum Sonos should offer one hell of a discount for me to trade in the soon to be useless speakers as they will no longer operate as advertised.
Userlevel 4
Badge

Why should Sonos pay for a problem caused by Apple?

Because Sonos decided to market to those Apple customers.
They can't have it both ways. They could have chosen to only support Android owners but their market would have been much smaller.
Userlevel 3
Badge
AGREE 100 PERCENT. Sonos is removing functionality that we paid for. Its significantly reduces the utiity of the entire system. Now I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I cant use.

I highly suspect there will be lawsuits. Also, in the meantime spread the word of SONOS terrible response. I will go out of my way to tell my friends and family about how horrible the company is.

Busch league sonos.... Have some class.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Very upset to the point of wanting to know if there is a legal case to get my money back on the three speakers and the controller (can't remember the correct name, it links to the amp.) that we have.
This is the only feature my wife uses and the only reason we bought the Sonos.

She does not have the time to manage multiple playlists and music collections.
We don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a streaming service just for this feature. Sonos should pay that for us, they have dropped a key feature.

The simplest solution would be for them to add it as a firmware update to their older products, specifically, in our case the Sonos Play 1's.

The second option would be to offer a significant trade in for older products.

I like a real world example because it often illustrates the absurdity of what software vendors think they can get away with.
If a car manufacturer came along and took one of the doors off of your car and told you to just hang on tight round corners, you would tell them they were crazy.
Sonos take away a wheel and say it's OK you can buy a skateboard and prop that corner up with that, that's obviously OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge
It’s pretty sad that a speaker I purchased less than two years ago will soon lose 50% of its functionality to me. It’s not my job to spend a bunch of time to find a workaround. The product will no longer work as advertised. This could definitely lead to a class action lawsuit.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Userlevel 1
First time posting, but long time Sonos user, still have original controller.
I just learned today with Sonos announcement that they will soon no longer support “on this iPad/iPhone”
The main reason I got into Apple products, was due to the fact that Sonos wrote a control app for Apple iPhone and iPad. This was before they provided software for other products, such as Android.
While most of my music is on a Windows PC, I still have a lot of music on my Apple devices, in fact I chose large capacity models in order to hold a lot of music. Like many of you, I am disappointed to learn of the change that is coming.
No longer will my friends and daughter be able to play their music on my Sonos from their devices when visiting. Unfortunately my 2 Sonos Connect and Connect Amp don’t support Apple Airplay.
Has anyone wrote to Apple to voice their concerns?
Userlevel 2
I believe this is all due to people's resistance to change. We all like the way things are now. Why change, right? But in the long run, things do change all of the time. We just have to decide whether to agree with the change or... Sorry. Did not mean to get all philosophical.

Getting back on subject; for all of those iphone users that have their music on the iphone. You still have the music on your itunes which is on your mac or PC, right? I would suggest learning how to access the music library from the mac or PC, or a NAS. Of course, this will only work if you are at home. If you are on the road, then you are screwed, I guess.

There are a lot of people who don't know how, or simply don't want to spend their time setting up a server and the necessary infrastructure to support file sharing. That's precisely why they bought into it! I'm technical so it's easy - but try telling someone who bought into the Sonos ecosystem that they have to be sure that they have SMB/CIFs 1.0 enabled on their windows machine. Really? (I'm not even to get to the part about the security hole.) I'd have no issue setting up a Raspberry Pi with a drive to stream, but how many Sonos buyers would even consider doing this? How many would say Could I have Ice Cream with my raspberry pie?

My iPads works fabulously with the Sonos. Never a problem, and now it's going away. I'm ok., my server supports it nicely, but now I have a gaping security flaw (managed by my firewalls). And streaming service are great, but there are some of us out there who have collections of audio that you simply cannot find on any streaming service, especially classical.

I guess we can rant all day long, but I don't believe Sonos is going to change their mind.

I pretty much agree with all you say. But you've got to look at the people who use these integrated systems and why they make that choice - they are basically removing support one of the important parts of their customer base. Sonos may change their mind if the market forces them to.
Userlevel 2
I am really angry about this. I use this functionality on a daily basis to play from selected playlists to multiple speakers with synchronized audio. There is no alternative way to do this at this time. We are a mixed environment here and that was a big part of the draw of Sonos for us. And it’s no help to get into the Apple vs. Something Else battle here - we’re not going to spend thousands of dollars to reinvent our ecosystem to accommodate a pissing match between Apple and (insert your favorite tech monopoly).
Userlevel 3
Badge
Bruce... everyone gives legal disclaimers everywhere. People still get sued everyday. Disclaimers dont work when big companies screw the little guy. Oh and the PR nightmare that comes from such a thing is worth it.

I encourage you to file the lawsuit. I'll sign up. As will the hundreds of clients I referred to sonos.

Is 100 percent u acceptable. Bruce. I assume you work for sonos? Why not knock on door and let your CEO read this.
Userlevel 1

Yup, like mike456 I’m not happy. Yes, I have a NAS drive with all my music, and yes, it’s nice of the Sonos community to suggest alternatives, but for many of us, it’s the removal of such convenient functionality that’s upsetting - especially for podcasts.

The embedded TuneIn Radio app is rubbish at finding podcasts that I have access to through the Apple podcast app, so my usual solution is to download them to my iPhone and then play them through my speakers. Airplay is not an option because none of my Sonos gear is Airplay compatible. And while plugging my iPhone into my PLAY:5 would work, I got into Sonos gear in the first place so I wouldn’t have to worry about cables!

Please Apple and Sonos, sort out your differences so I can continue to stream from my iPhone without having to purchase a new PLAY:1 for its Airplay functionality.

(BTW, I’ve yet to have problems with the ‘On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch’ feature.)
Userlevel 1

Yes I am upset by this blatant attempt to boost sales of the airplay activated devices. I have used this capacity very often as i didn't initially have an airplay capable speaker but even though I now do it has remained a quick and easy way to play music off my phone through a speaker I choose. It's an obvious attempt to nudge people to upgrade their systems while totally disregarding the way people use their systems and the investment people have made. Its certainly discouraged me to spend any more money with them as I'll not encourage this attitude. I'm furious.
Userlevel 1
Yeh I'm really annoyed. If the Play 1 supported Airplay it wouldn't be an issue, instead I'm staring at a soon to be paper weight. It's 2 years old.

Why should I spend time or money trying to make a product that was working, usable?
Why should I have to pay for a premium streaming service to listen to music I already paid for?
Why should I have to spend my free time coming up with a technical solution for a problem I haven't created?
Why should I have to change my phone to a completely different ecosystem? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

I couldn't be less interested in whose fault it is. This is a shambles. These things aren't cheap, I expect better. I like my Sonos, it sounds great, but if I'm changing anything it's going to be my speaker.

Like others have said, the only real acceptable compromise here is a a heavily discounted trade-in option for those of us that have been kicked to the curb.
Userlevel 3
Badge

AGREE 100 PERCENT. Sonos is removing functionality that we paid for. Its significantly reduces the utiity of the entire system. Now I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I cant use.

I highly suspect there will be lawsuits. Also, in the meantime spread the word of SONOS terrible response. I will go out of my way to tell my friends and family about how horrible the company is.

Busch league sonos.... Have some class.
I suggest you consult a lawyer before making such claims. Let us know how long he lasts before telling you you have no case.

Perhaps you are right.... I'm sure they have disclaimers that allow them to remove any functionality they wish (super classy I might add). That doesn't change the point. If Samsung were to remove the ability to text message... Everyone would want their money back for their phones.. Its that simple.

Any reasonable person will see that Sonos has a PR issue on its hands.

Nonetheless I was once a loyal Sonos customer who spread their good word... Today, I'm furious with this
outcome and simply no longer have use for the system.

If you're such a supporter,why don't you buy degraded my equipment from me?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yeah but the “options” all suck, do not make up for the missing convenience, and don’t fully replace the lost functionality. Also, many of them take unnecessary time. The dumbest one I read was subscribing to a premium music service then painstakingly uploading my library to that platform.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I dont get the sonos employees trying to calm the obvious backlash.

blaming customers for not "accepting change"??.... accepting change is far different than being stripped of a current features. Imagine your car manufacturer tells you that AC wont work after an upgrade. If they then tell you to roll down the window you'd be pissed. Well.. I'm pissed.

100 percent unacceptable. Everyone on the otherside is working for sonos.

Super dissapointed such a clasy firm turned Busch league. I expected better
Better for SONOS to invest in engineering a solution than to fork over a settlement to lawyers. Rather than throw their hands up in the air and just drop functionality they must dig deeper to find a solution.

Out of curiosity, how much more time/money/effort do you think Sonos needs to put into this before you would say they put in enough effort? They've been looking at this issue for around a year now. How much deeper? Your statement suggests that Sonos never even attempted to resolve the issue.

Yes I am upset by this blatant attempt to boost sales of the airplay activated devices. I have used this capacity very often as i didn't initially have an airplay capable speaker but even though I now do it has remained a quick and easy way to play music off my phone through a speaker I choose. It's an obvious attempt to nudge people to upgrade their systems while totally disregarding the way people use their systems and the investment people have made. Its certainly discouraged me to spend any more money with them as I'll not encourage this attitude. I'm furious.

So all of the issues reported on these forums were just an elaborate setup, to give the impression of an issue that doesn't really exist? All justification for pushing customers to upgrade hardware? How does Sonos stop people from opting not to buy hardware but use a computer, NAS, android device, streaming service, or line-in source instead...leaving Sonos without any additional sales, but a lot of unhappy customers like you who are swearing off Sonos for life? This was the plan?
Userlevel 3
No I don't leave my Mac on as some days I don't use it (use tablet instead) and no I won't leave it on overnight. Also this morning Sonos would not work with Mac library - came up with error message - went to 'on this iPhone' which worked. Later Mac library worked but seems is not reliable.
Re Kumar question - it was an item on a menu - I bought one Play1, liked its features and bought 2 more on the strength of that - now a feature I found very useful is being removed, of course I am annoyed.
it is extremely inconvenient to lose access to my iPhone music files when using each of my FIVE sonos connects I have set up in FIVE physically separate locations! Setting up a NAS at each location is ridiculous and I’m much happier with the higher res music files on my iPhone than most non-premium streaming services. The prospect of losing this simple functionality is a major problem. I am very much hoping Sonos revisits this with Apple and reverses this policy. I am also hoping North Korea will fully denuclearize!
Userlevel 3
Badge
In short, Sonos sucks and has been rendered obsolete. I will actively make sure everyone I can reach is advised never to buy a Sonos product, since there are far better options.
Userlevel 1
I copied my ITunes library to Googleplay, works fine with Sonos speakers.There’s also a setting to automatically copy new ITunes music to Googleplay. And it’s free if you don’t exceed 50,000 songs.