Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

Show first post

111 replies

Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Come on Sonos, our music libraries are mobile and you need to support them!!

Yup, like mike456 I’m not happy. Yes, I have a NAS drive with all my music, and yes, it’s nice of the Sonos community to suggest alternatives, but for many of us, it’s the removal of such convenient functionality that’s upsetting - especially for podcasts.

The embedded TuneIn Radio app is rubbish at finding podcasts that I have access to through the Apple podcast app, so my usual solution is to download them to my iPhone and then play them through my speakers. Airplay is not an option because none of my Sonos gear is Airplay compatible. And while plugging my iPhone into my PLAY:5 would work, I got into Sonos gear in the first place so I wouldn’t have to worry about cables!

Please Apple and Sonos, sort out your differences so I can continue to stream from my iPhone without having to purchase a new PLAY:1 for its Airplay functionality.

(BTW, I’ve yet to have problems with the ‘On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch’ feature.)

Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access??No, not at all. I've never used this feature.
All my music is in lossless format on a NAS (as are my photo's, movies, documents, etc). Wouldn't want it any other way.

Uh, congrats? I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that you never used the feature and aren't affected. Thank you soo much for sharing.
Im very upset. I use my iPhone 6s as my Sonos controller and had no problem with it whatsoever. This will render my Sonos system unusable as neither of my Sonos can be found on Airplay and Im not in a position to afford to pay for a premium music service. My only solution is to sell them and move to Amazon Echo. Just because something didn't work for some people, you don't get rid of it for everyone, including the people for whom it DID work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

In case it wasn't clear, Sonos didn't change their code, Apple changed their iOS code. No you don't care who's at fault, but this is the answer to the question you pose.

I'm helping a mate out who is going to be affected by this change as he solely plays music stored on his iphone.

But hang on a sec, can someone more knowledgeable than me explain why this is Apple's fault?

It's just that my particular setup works a treat. I'm running 8.4 on my Sonos system and I have the latest IOS 12.3.1 (with Airplay 2 support) on my iphone. Using 'on this iPhone', I can stream music from it all day long, locked or unlocked, without any skips or jumps.

So it seems to me that Sonos did change / remove something after 8.4 that has now caused this issue.

Just looking for a clear picture of what's happened.....
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

So it seems to me that Sonos did change / remove something after 8.4 that has now caused this issue.

Just looking for a clear picture of what's happened.....

Very unlikely to get a clearer picture, but here's to hoping.
I'm very unhappy also.

I now find out that my 5 SONOS 3 devices will be redundant soon.
SONOS seem to be withdrawing the ability to play from my iphone/ipads and my MAC. I bought these devices in good faith less than two years ago at a cost of £1694.00.
They are still under warranty from John Lewis yet SONOS are about to remove their functionality. Nobody told me they were going to be superseded by new equipment that was not
forward and backward compatible.
I presume SONOS will arrange a full refund through John Lewis.
I bought your equipment originally because you seemed to be the best.
You are certainly not the best at customer service or evolution management, you can't just blame Apple.

Peter
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I'm very unhappy also.

I now find out that my 5 SONOS 3 devices will be redundant soon.
SONOS seem to be withdrawing the ability to play from my iphone/ipads and my MAC. I bought these devices in good faith less than two years ago at a cost of £1694.00.
They are still under warranty from John Lewis yet SONOS are about to remove their functionality. Nobody told me they were going to be superseded by new equipment that was not
forward and backward compatible.
I presume SONOS will arrange a full refund through John Lewis.
I bought your equipment originally because you seemed to be the best.
You are certainly not the best at customer service or evolution management, you can't just blame Apple.

Peter

Peter I wish you luck with this. If you would like to continue playing music from your iPhone you can add airplay 2 to your system by purchasing a newer Sonos speaker such as a one, p5 or beam. There are some gotchas with this so caveat emptor.
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Come on Sonos, our music libraries are mobile and you need to support them!!

Yes I am upset by this blatant attempt to boost sales of the airplay activated devices. I have used this capacity very often as i didn't initially have an airplay capable speaker but even though I now do it has remained a quick and easy way to play music off my phone through a speaker I choose. It's an obvious attempt to nudge people to upgrade their systems while totally disregarding the way people use their systems and the investment people have made. Its certainly discouraged me to spend any more money with them as I'll not encourage this attitude. I'm furious.
Yes I am definitely upset that the IOS library functionality is being eliminated. While I also use SONOs for streaming, the bottom line is I would not have invested in the system if it did not support an IOS library from an ipad or phone.
I understand that that this is a problem created by Apple but nevertheless I think SONOS is opening themselves up to a class action lawsuit. This change is a big devaluation of the investment I made in buying into their ecosystem..
Better for SONOS to invest in engineering a solution than to fork over a settlement to lawyers. Rather than throw their hands up in the air and just drop functionality they must dig deeper to find a solution.
I suggest you consult a lawyer about that class action. Let us know what they say.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Better for SONOS to invest in engineering a solution than to fork over a settlement to lawyers. Rather than throw their hands up in the air and just drop functionality they must dig deeper to find a solution.

Out of curiosity, how much more time/money/effort do you think Sonos needs to put into this before you would say they put in enough effort? They've been looking at this issue for around a year now. How much deeper? Your statement suggests that Sonos never even attempted to resolve the issue.

Yes I am upset by this blatant attempt to boost sales of the airplay activated devices. I have used this capacity very often as i didn't initially have an airplay capable speaker but even though I now do it has remained a quick and easy way to play music off my phone through a speaker I choose. It's an obvious attempt to nudge people to upgrade their systems while totally disregarding the way people use their systems and the investment people have made. Its certainly discouraged me to spend any more money with them as I'll not encourage this attitude. I'm furious.

So all of the issues reported on these forums were just an elaborate setup, to give the impression of an issue that doesn't really exist? All justification for pushing customers to upgrade hardware? How does Sonos stop people from opting not to buy hardware but use a computer, NAS, android device, streaming service, or line-in source instead...leaving Sonos without any additional sales, but a lot of unhappy customers like you who are swearing off Sonos for life? This was the plan?
I am really annoyed that Sonos is pulling the plug on the "On This Iphone" function as I use it everyday. I have 2 first gen Play 5's and a Play 1 and when Sonos removes the function my system will be useless, to say I am a bit annoyed after spending the best part of £1000 is a bit of an understatement!!
I have e-mailed Sonos and their reply was to subscribe to Apple Music which has 2 problems 1. I am not paying £10 per month to listen to music I have already paid for and 2. Apple music will only work with second gen Sonos speakers.
I personally have not had any of the unreliability issues that Sonos say have been quite common and for all of us who just want to be able to continue to stream music from our phones to our Sonos speakers why can't Sonos just leave the software as it is and let us all continue to listen to our music?
I understand your frustration but Apple Music works with all Sonos speakers. You are confusing it with Airplay.

Anyway, if you buy an Echo Dot and connect it to one of your Play 5 lines in you will be able to play from your phone to any speaker using Bluetooth.

It will cost you £30. £30 that you didn't want to spens I am sure, but hardly a dealbreaker.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I also understand your frustration. Here is what works well for me:

You could upload your library to Google Play Music. Keeping 50,000 of your personal songs and playlists is free. You do NOT need to pay for their streaming service to take advantage of this.

Benefits of using Google Play Music over 'on this iPhone' to play your personal music:

1. You can start your music, and it will continue playing even if you go out of range. The music will continue playing even if you leave the house with your iPhone.
  2. You don't drain the battery on your iPhone since the music is actually streaming from free online storage instead of directly from your device.
  3. You can put the Google Play Music app on multiple devices. Family can have access to the entire library instead of it just being stored on one device.
  4. You can still take your entire library anywhere with you.

I have e-mailed Sonos and their reply was to subscribe to Apple Music which has 2 problems 1. I am not paying £10 per month to listen to music I have already paid for and 2. Apple music will only work with second gen Sonos speakers.

Only true if you are referring to Airplay2. You can add Apple Music as a music service to Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Dare I say it: plug a Bluetooth receiver into the Play:5 and stream from your phone to that. That’s a cheaper solution than the Dot.
Is it? I guess I need to investigate the costs of a Bluetooth receiver, I haven’t been paying attention to their costs. Makes some sense though, there certainly is more functionality in an Echo Dot, even at $50, $40 for last gen, and $30 for current gen refurbished.

But yep, I find Bluetooth receivers that would plug into the line in port on a PLAY:5 for $15.

Nice suggestion!
I am upset, too. In general, we buy products in the knowledge that the functionality on offer at the point of purchase will be supported and keep on working. Simply turning off a certain functionality when the product itself is in perfect working condition is almost like an economic fraud.

What I hate even more, is that by turning off services one by one, I feel I am being forced into subscribing to the online music streaming service where my music collection is taken for a ransom called ‘monthly subscription’. It almost seems like Apple, Sonos, and all the subscription-based music streaming service providers are colluding to move the mass to their services, and I don’t like that at all.

Any move of this kind should be made illegal. Where has consumer choice gone???
Except Sonos still allows you to play your own music from an Android device, a PC or Mac, an NAS drive, a Plex account, or a free Google Play Music account. So much for the conspiracy theory, eh?
Pretty pissed, I know that everyone is saying that it apples fault they made the change to the system but that’s no excuse for the Sonos app developers to be lazy and not find a solution to the issue. That’s there job weather it be Apple or Sonos to always update and have the best app or operating system they can for the customer. Not to say well these guys changed they system and I don’t want deal with it so I’m not going to fix the issue who cares about the customers make them buy a streaming service or new products
Pretty pissed, I know that everyone is saying that it apples fault they made the change to the system but that’s no excuse for the Sonos app developers to be lazy and not find a solution to the issue. That’s there job weather it be Apple or Sonos to always update and have the best app or operating system they can for the customer. Not to say well these guys changed they system and I don’t want deal with it so I’m not going to fix the issue who cares about the customers make them buy a streaming service or new products

They worked on it for a year before determining it just was not fixable, how "lazy" is that? Also, 2 of the alternatives given do not require you to buy anything, and a third only requires a PC or Mac.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Wow - you really should be a Bose owner then. They drop entire lines of products in order to support new capabilities in the new product ranges - and of course with no compatibility between old and new ranges.

But they are updating their products, giving the best they can to their customers.

They worked on it for a year before determining it just was not fixable, how "lazy" is that? Also, 2 of the alternatives given do not require you to buy anything, and a third only requires a PC or Mac.

Pretty pissed, I know that everyone is saying that it apples fault they made the change to the system but that’s no excuse for the Sonos app developers to be lazy and not find a solution to the issue. That’s there job weather it be Apple or Sonos to always update and have the best app or operating system they can for the customer. Not to say well these guys changed they system and I don’t want deal with it so I’m not going to fix the issue who cares about the customers make them buy a streaming service or new productsThey worked on it for a year before determining it just was not fixable, how "lazy" is that? Also, 2 of the alternatives given do not require you to buy anything, and a third only requires a PC or Mac.

Pretty pissed, I know that everyone is saying that it apples fault they made the change to the system but that’s no excuse for the Sonos app developers to be lazy and not find a solution to the issue. That’s there job weather it be Apple or Sonos to always update and have the best app or operating system they can for the customer. Not to say well these guys changed they system and I don’t want deal with it so I’m not going to fix the issue who cares about the customers make them buy a streaming service or new productsThey worked on it for a year before determining it just was not fixable, how "lazy" is that? Also, 2 of the alternatives given do not require you to buy anything, and a third only requires a PC or Mac.

That just tells me they need to fire there programmers. Everything is fixable if they are smart enough

Pretty pissed, I know that everyone is saying that it apples fault they made the change to the system but that’s no excuse for the Sonos app developers to be lazy and not find a solution to the issue. That’s there job weather it be Apple or Sonos to always update and have the best app or operating system they can for the customer. Not to say well these guys changed they system and I don’t want deal with it so I’m not going to fix the issue who cares about the customers make them buy a streaming service or new productsWow - you really should be a Bose owner then. They drop entire lines of products in order to support new capabilities in the new product ranges - and of course with no compatibility between old and new ranges.

But they are updating their products, giving the best they can to their customers.

All companies do this. That’s why new products are released all the time I know this but that doesn’t mean I can’t be upset about. If enough people are upset maybe just maybe they’ll fix it.