Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

Show first post

227 replies

I encourage you to file the lawsuit. I'll sign up. As will the hundreds of clients I referred to sonos.

Is 100 percent u acceptable. Bruce. I assume you work for sonos? Why not knock on door and let your CEO read this.

Why don't you file one and get enough people to sign up and find a lawyer that rates his chances of success enough to invest time in it? Since you seem to know the court system already.
And you can knock on the Sonos CEO door yourself; his email address is in the public domain.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Send it to me... I'll CC you on the email.
Seek and ye shall find.
I dont get the sonos employees trying to calm the obvious backlash.

As Ryan already stated, Sonos employees are marked as such.

blaming customers for not "accepting change"??.... accepting change is far different than being stripped of a current features. Imagine your car manufacturer tells you that AC wont work after an upgrade. If they then tell you to roll down the window you'd be pissed. Well.. I'm pissed.

I didn't interpret Misfit's post as accessing blame. Obviously, you are the cause of this change. I thought he was suggesting that a better course of action would be to deal with the change instead of looking for legal action. Personally, frustration seems rather reasonable about this. However, I think an objective point of view would say that it's reasonable for Sonos to make this change given the difficulty in supportting the feature given Apple's changes to the iOS lately, and what I suspect is a relatively few number of customers who rely on the feature.

Super dissapointed such a clasy firm turned Busch league. I expected better

Super disappointed makes sense. In all honestly, if playing audio directly from the phone is a vitally important feature to you, and you have no interest in getting a speaker with airplay compatibility, then getting a speaker with bluetooth compatibility is a strong option. There are a lot of good options out there, many of them that also have some multiroom capabilities. I only use bluetooth for car audio and headphones.

Have you heard of IDAGIO?

https://www.idagio.com/us/
I don't use it, but may be worth looking into.

Very cool. Thanks for that. Signed up. Can’t wait to explore in the office tomorrow.
The "On this Device" feature from iOS devices has become very unstable and we're hoping to help everyone make a smooth transition of their music libraries to a better solution. One that's fully featured perhaps so that you can make use of Sonos Playlists or Alarms, something that a NAS drive or computer share is capable of doing.

A fantastic solution with perfect timing would be to fix the 65K limit. 😂
Bruce... everyone gives legal disclaimers everywhere. People still get sued everyday. Disclaimers dont work when big companies screw the little guy. Oh and the PR nightmare that comes from such a thing is worth it.

The case I hear about usually involve significant physical, emotional, and monetary damage. Hard to claim that here. Also hard to even claim it's Sonos fault since instability in the feature was caused by Apple. It's hard to say the damage was intentional since the android equivalent feature is still supported. But that's just my opinion.
Badge +1
I would think that the majority of people who have music on their iOS devices back them up to their computers. So setting up the Sonos to see the music on the computer's hard drive is a five minute thing.

so are you talking about accessing the iTunes library on a desktop machine via the Sonos app on your phone?

- if thats the case that would be a good solution for me as my iMac has a lot more songs than my iPhone (& my Mac is on from morning till i go to bed)

after reading this post I've been trying to do this but without success (i keep getting " The computer refuses to let the Sonos player connect to it"

so can you let us know more about the "5 minute thing" you talk about
There's an FAQ on how to set up your local library off of a computer's hard drive. Here's a link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

If you're having issues doing this, I'd be looking strongly at either firewall or virus protection programs, which are known to block access from outside devices (the speakers) to parts of your hard drive. Sonos has quite a few FAQs on various kinds, in order to get them set up to work.

However, if you find you're continuing to have trouble, I'd heartily recommend that you contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Badge +1
that link is how to set up Sonos on a desktop computer - I have done that on my iMac a long time ago

What I am trying to do is outlined in this post ie connecting the Sonos app on my iPhone to the iTunes library on my Desktop iMac
that link is how to set up Sonos on a desktop computer - I have done that on my iMac a long time ago

What I am trying to do is outlined in this post ie connecting the Sonos app on my iPhone to the iTunes library on my Desktop iMac

I really don't know what you mean. If you have set up the Sonos music library on the desktop (defining it as your iTunes library), then this is available from any controller. Just go to 'Browse', 'Music Library'.
Badge +1
I removed and replaced the desktop app - re-set the music library & it worked again
Userlevel 1
Yeh I'm really annoyed. If the Play 1 supported Airplay it wouldn't be an issue, instead I'm staring at a soon to be paper weight. It's 2 years old.

Why should I spend time or money trying to make a product that was working, usable?
Why should I have to pay for a premium streaming service to listen to music I already paid for?
Why should I have to spend my free time coming up with a technical solution for a problem I haven't created?
Why should I have to change my phone to a completely different ecosystem? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

I couldn't be less interested in whose fault it is. This is a shambles. These things aren't cheap, I expect better. I like my Sonos, it sounds great, but if I'm changing anything it's going to be my speaker.

Like others have said, the only real acceptable compromise here is a a heavily discounted trade-in option for those of us that have been kicked to the curb.
Yeh I'm really annoyed. If the Play 1 supported Airplay it wouldn't be an issue, instead I'm staring at a soon to be paper weight. It's 2 years old!

Why should I spend time or money trying to make a product that was working, usable?

In case it wasn't clear, Sonos didn't change their code, Apple changed their iOS code. No you don't care who's at fault, but this is the answer to the question you pose.

Why should I have to pay for a premium streaming service to listen to music I already paid for?

You don't have to.

Why should I have to spend my free time coming up with a technical solution for a problem I haven't created?

I wouldn't really call the alternative options that are presented technical. They do not require much technical knowledge to implement. Yes, they do requires time and possibly money.

Why should I have to change my phone to a completely different ecosystem? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

You don't have to.

I couldn't be less interested in whose fault it is. This is a shambles. I like my Sonos, it sounds great, but if I'm changing anything it's going to be my speaker.

If you don't care about whose fault it is, what's the point of all these "why" questions? If your point is to illustrate that you, and any other Sonos user, did nothing to bring on this change, you're absolutely correct.

Changing your speakers is likely to cost more than using an existing computer or buying a NAS to get access to your local music files, assuming you want similar audio quality in the new speaker. But that's your choice.

Like others have said, the only real acceptable compromise here is a a heavily discounted trade-in option for those of us that have been kicked to the curb.

Based on the fact that no discount has been announced, and Sonos history of discounts in similar situations, this seems highly unlikely. They offered a voucher for CR100 users in the past, but that was because the hardware was completely de-supported, and I don't the voucher would be considered a heavy discount.
Userlevel 1
They were rhetorical questions Danny.
Yeh I'm really annoyed. If the Play 1 supported Airplay it wouldn't be an issue, instead I'm staring at a soon to be paper weight. It's 2 years old.

I bought my soon to be paper weight 7 months ago. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to assume that the Sonos iPhone app would continue to be supported.

I can't wait to see a clever and helpfule response from jgatie.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I bought my soon to be paper weight 7 months ago. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to assume that the Sonos iPhone app would continue to be supported.

The Sonos iPhone app will continue to be supported. Or have I missed a new announcement?

The Sonos iPhone app will continue to be supported. Or have I missed a new announcement?

Message popped up on my app this morning saying that it will soon not stream from iPhones and that you should use Airplay 2. And they had a helpful list of their products that support Airplay2 which does not include the Play:1 that I purchased 7 months ago.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It is unreasonable.

They're not dropping support for iPhones or iOS in general.

They are removing a feature.

I bought my soon to be paper weight 7 months ago. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to assume that the Sonos iPhone app would continue to be supported.It is unreasonable.

Yeah, the one that would allow me to play my music from my iPhone to the speaker (sorry, jgatie, an integrated music streaming system *rolls eyes*) which is the only reason why I purchased the thing.

And yes, they are dropping support for the existing app to stream music directly from my iphone to my Play:1 that I bought 7 months ago.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I bought my soon to be paper weight 7 months ago. I don't think it is unreasonable for me to assume that the Sonos iPhone app would continue to be supported.It is unreasonable.

Yeah, the one that would allow me to play my music from my iPhone to the speaker (sorry, jgatie, an integrated music streaming system *rolls eyes*) which is the only reason why I purchased the thing.

And yes, they are dropping support for the existing app to stream music directly from my iphone to my Play:1 that I bought 7 months ago.

If that's the only reason why you purchased the speaker, then you should look into picking up a cheap Android tablet.
AGREE 100 PERCENT. Sonos is removing functionality that we paid for. Its significantly reduces the utiity of the entire system. Now I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I cant use.

I highly suspect there will be lawsuits. Also, in the meantime spread the word of SONOS terrible response. I will go out of my way to tell my friends and family about how horrible the company is.

Busch league sonos.... Have some class.

This screwed me. I bought an IPad just so my wife could use it to play music on Sonos. Streaming had two many problems. I do not have any speakers with Airplay2 capability. Will have to buy another speaker with line-in capability. Rip off
it is extremely inconvenient to lose access to my iPhone music files when using each of my FIVE sonos connects I have set up in FIVE physically separate locations! Setting up a NAS at each location is ridiculous and I’m much happier with the higher res music files on my iPhone than most non-premium streaming services. The prospect of losing this simple functionality is a major problem. I am very much hoping Sonos revisits this with Apple and reverses this policy. I am also hoping North Korea will fully denuclearize!
I am very much hoping Sonos revisits this with Apple and reverses this policy. I am also hoping North Korea will fully denuclearize!

I like the way you phrased this, it makes me feel like there’s an improved likelihood that Sonos/Apple will come up with a solution, as I’m not really hopeful about the NK scenario 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access??

No, not at all. I've never used this feature.
All my music is in lossless format on a NAS (as are my photo's, movies, documents, etc). Wouldn't want it any other way.