Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

Show first post

227 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
AGREE 100 PERCENT. Sonos is removing functionality that we paid for. Its significantly reduces the utiity of the entire system. Now I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I cant use.

I highly suspect there will be lawsuits. Also, in the meantime spread the word of SONOS terrible response. I will go out of my way to tell my friends and family about how horrible the company is.

Busch league sonos.... Have some class.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Come on Sonos, our music libraries are mobile and you need to support them!!
AGREE 100 PERCENT. Sonos is removing functionality that we paid for. Its significantly reduces the utiity of the entire system. Now I have thousands of dollars of equipment that I cant use.

I highly suspect there will be lawsuits. Also, in the meantime spread the word of SONOS terrible response. I will go out of my way to tell my friends and family about how horrible the company is.

I suggest you consult a lawyer before making such claims. Let us know how long he lasts before telling you you have no case.
Userlevel 1
First time posting, but long time Sonos user, still have original controller.
I just learned today with Sonos announcement that they will soon no longer support “on this iPad/iPhone”
The main reason I got into Apple products, was due to the fact that Sonos wrote a control app for Apple iPhone and iPad. This was before they provided software for other products, such as Android.
While most of my music is on a Windows PC, I still have a lot of music on my Apple devices, in fact I chose large capacity models in order to hold a lot of music. Like many of you, I am disappointed to learn of the change that is coming.
No longer will my friends and daughter be able to play their music on my Sonos from their devices when visiting. Unfortunately my 2 Sonos Connect and Connect Amp don’t support Apple Airplay.
Has anyone wrote to Apple to voice their concerns?
Userlevel 3
Badge

I suggest you consult a lawyer before making such claims. Let us know how long he lasts before telling you you have no case.

Perhaps you are right.... I'm sure they have disclaimers that allow them to remove any functionality they wish (super classy I might add). That doesn't change the point. If Samsung were to remove the ability to text message... Everyone would want their money back for their phones.. Its that simple.

Any reasonable person will see that Sonos has a PR issue on its hands.

Nonetheless I was once a loyal Sonos customer who spread their good word... Today, I'm furious with this
outcome and simply no longer have use for the system.

If you're such a supporter,why don't you buy degraded my equipment from me?
In some cases a developer is given the choice of supporting the current Apple platform methods or being booted from the App store. An example that I'm familiar with is FING, a network analysis tool available for Android and iOS. A couple updates ago iOS stopped reporting MAC addresses to applications. This greatly diminishes the utility of FING on iOS. For users the choice was to stop updating iOS devices or walk away from the feature.

In my case I don't need some of the latest wizzbang iOS features, but there is a work application that requires these -- therefore I must update iOS.

Developers must sometimes make the choice of bringing a shrinking market of legacy users along or embracing an expanding market of current users.

Users love the "buy once, free support forever" model, but this is not a viable long term business model for developers.
Userlevel 2
I am really angry about this. I use this functionality on a daily basis to play from selected playlists to multiple speakers with synchronized audio. There is no alternative way to do this at this time. We are a mixed environment here and that was a big part of the draw of Sonos for us. And it’s no help to get into the Apple vs. Something Else battle here - we’re not going to spend thousands of dollars to reinvent our ecosystem to accommodate a pissing match between Apple and (insert your favorite tech monopoly).
When I read that Sonos was removing the option to play music from the iPhone, I, too, was upset.

I have four Sonos Play:1 speakers and a Sonos Boost. I kind of saw it coming a year or so ago. I noticed that whenever I played music from my iphone through sonos, a lot of the songs would skip or stop playing. At first I thought this was Sonos' inability to access the music from the phone. After much research, I realize that, as most people suspected, Apple is the culprit.

IF I only had access to music through my iphone, then I too would be upset. But, I utilize Pandora a lot and I also use the Sonos controller for Windows from which I can access my library on my itunes account (which is actually more than on my phone).

I believe this is all due to people's resistance to change. We all like the way things are now. Why change, right? But in the long run, things do change all of the time. We just have to decide whether to agree with the change or... Sorry. Did not mean to get all philosophical.

Getting back on subject; for all of those iphone users that have their music on the iphone. You still have the music on your itunes which is on your mac or PC, right? I would suggest learning how to access the music library from the mac or PC, or a NAS. Of course, this will only work if you are at home. If you are on the road, then you are screwed, I guess.

I guess we can rant all day long, but I don't believe Sonos is going to change their mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Has anyone wrote to Apple to voice their concerns?

That’s a good question, but it seems everyone wants to blame Sonos rather than Apple. If anyone has asked them, they’ve not shared the response anywhere that I’ve seen.
Userlevel 2
I believe this is all due to people's resistance to change. We all like the way things are now. Why change, right? But in the long run, things do change all of the time. We just have to decide whether to agree with the change or... Sorry. Did not mean to get all philosophical.

Getting back on subject; for all of those iphone users that have their music on the iphone. You still have the music on your itunes which is on your mac or PC, right? I would suggest learning how to access the music library from the mac or PC, or a NAS. Of course, this will only work if you are at home. If you are on the road, then you are screwed, I guess.

There are a lot of people who don't know how, or simply don't want to spend their time setting up a server and the necessary infrastructure to support file sharing. That's precisely why they bought into it! I'm technical so it's easy - but try telling someone who bought into the Sonos ecosystem that they have to be sure that they have SMB/CIFs 1.0 enabled on their windows machine. Really? (I'm not even to get to the part about the security hole.) I'd have no issue setting up a Raspberry Pi with a drive to stream, but how many Sonos buyers would even consider doing this? How many would say Could I have Ice Cream with my raspberry pie?

My iPads works fabulously with the Sonos. Never a problem, and now it's going away. I'm ok., my server supports it nicely, but now I have a gaping security flaw (managed by my firewalls). And streaming service are great, but there are some of us out there who have collections of audio that you simply cannot find on any streaming service, especially classical.

I guess we can rant all day long, but I don't believe Sonos is going to change their mind.

I pretty much agree with all you say. But you've got to look at the people who use these integrated systems and why they make that choice - they are basically removing support one of the important parts of their customer base. Sonos may change their mind if the market forces them to.
I would think that the majority of people who have music on their iOS devices back them up to their computers. So setting up the Sonos to see the music on the computer's hard drive is a five minute thing.

But I have to admit I don't know what portion of people actually back up their iOS devices. I've always done so.

There are a lot of people who don't know how, or simply don't want to spend their time setting up a server and the necessary infrastructure to support file sharing. That's precisely why they bought into it! I'm technical so it's easy - but try telling someone who bought into the Sonos ecosystem that they have to be sure that they have SMB/CIFs 1.0 enabled on their windows machine. Really? (I'm not even to get to the part about the security hole.) I'd have no issue setting up a Raspberry Pi with a drive to stream, but how many Sonos buyers would even consider doing this? How many would say Could I have Ice Cream with my raspberry pie?

Creating a rasberry pi is really a rather extreme case. Heck, many routers these days have a USB port where you can stick a thumb drive in for an instant NAS.

My iPads works fabulously with the Sonos. Never a problem, and now it's going away. I'm ok., my server supports it nicely, but now I have a gaping security flaw (managed by my firewalls). And streaming service are great, but there are some of us out there who have collections of audio that you simply cannot find on any streaming service, especially classical.

I pretty much agree with all you say. But you've got to look at the people who use these integrated systems and why they make that choice - they are basically removing support one of the important parts of their customer base. Sonos may change their mind if the market forces them to.

I don't have the data, but I doubt that a large portion of the customer base uses this function. Based on what Sonos has said when making past decisions, they do have this data and do factor it in to their decisions. Sonos also has never gone back on these sort of decisions in the past, with easily twice as many complaints. As well, it's hard to make an argument that this feature brings in a lot of new customers. In short, it seems very very unlikely Sonos would reverse course.
But I have to admit I don't know what portion of people actually back up their iOS devices. I've always done so.

Backups? Where's your sense of adventure?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Have you heard of IDAGIO?

https://www.idagio.com/us/

I don't use it, but may be worth looking into.
Sonos was designed to play locally stored music, before streaming services existed. And even longer before playing from a mobile device was added. Storage on a computer or NAS works well.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It’s pretty sad that a speaker I purchased less than two years ago will soon lose 50% of its functionality to me. It’s not my job to spend a bunch of time to find a workaround. The product will no longer work as advertised. This could definitely lead to a class action lawsuit.
Before you waste any money talking to a lawyer, I'd suggest you read the legal stuff that you agreed to when you started using the Sonos system. Pretty sure all of this is covered, and it would be a shame for you to blow a couple hundred to have a lawyer tell you this.

On the other hand, don't take any assumptions that I'm correct. If you feel you have standing for a legal remedy, go for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It’s pretty sad that a speaker I purchased less than two years ago will soon lose 50% of its functionality to me. It’s not my job to spend a bunch of time to find a workaround. The product will no longer work as advertised. This could definitely lead to a class action lawsuit.

No need to “spend a bunch of time to find a workaround” as the options have already been listed.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yeah but the “options” all suck, do not make up for the missing convenience, and don’t fully replace the lost functionality. Also, many of them take unnecessary time. The dumbest one I read was subscribing to a premium music service then painstakingly uploading my library to that platform.
Userlevel 3
Badge
In short, Sonos sucks and has been rendered obsolete. I will actively make sure everyone I can reach is advised never to buy a Sonos product, since there are far better options.
since there are far better options.
Such as?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Yeah but the “options” all suck, do not make up for the missing convenience, and don’t fully replace the lost functionality. Also, many of them take unnecessary time. The dumbest one I read was subscribing to a premium music service then painstakingly uploading my library to that platform.

It's not that they suck, it's that you refuse to accept change.

I have my music library indexed to Sonos. Rarely do I use it seeing how I pay for a streaming service, that also houses 20,000+ songs that I've uploaded to it. Recently my ISP crapped out and I had no way to listen to music online.

Thankfully because of my computer and indexed music library, I could listen to the few albums I have downloaded to it. Certainly didn't suck when I could fill my home with some of my favorite albums.

Only difference with the music library? you tap on Music Library from Browse instead of "on this device"

If that sucks... well then, don't know what to say.

In short, Sonos sucks and has been rendered obsolete.

Removal of one feature does not make your system obsolete, but whatever you say man.

there are far better options.

Interesting. What ones?
Userlevel 3
Badge
I dont get the sonos employees trying to calm the obvious backlash.

blaming customers for not "accepting change"??.... accepting change is far different than being stripped of a current features. Imagine your car manufacturer tells you that AC wont work after an upgrade. If they then tell you to roll down the window you'd be pissed. Well.. I'm pissed.

100 percent unacceptable. Everyone on the otherside is working for sonos.

Super dissapointed such a clasy firm turned Busch league. I expected better
Userlevel 3
Badge
Bruce... everyone gives legal disclaimers everywhere. People still get sued everyday. Disclaimers dont work when big companies screw the little guy. Oh and the PR nightmare that comes from such a thing is worth it.

I encourage you to file the lawsuit. I'll sign up. As will the hundreds of clients I referred to sonos.

Is 100 percent u acceptable. Bruce. I assume you work for sonos? Why not knock on door and let your CEO read this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@KV123, Sonos employees are clearly marked as a Sonos Employee, Sonos Staff or Community Manager by their username, and you won't find us blaming customers. We're here to help facilitate the discussion, and help people find solutions. The main thread for this discussion has already been linked, but you can find it here, where you'll also find some suggested workarounds and solutions.

The "On this Device" feature from iOS devices has become very unstable and we're hoping to help everyone make a smooth transition of their music libraries to a better solution. One that's fully featured perhaps so that you can make use of Sonos Playlists or Alarms, something that a NAS drive or computer share is capable of doing.