Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

Userlevel 4
Badge
Is anyone else upset that Sonos is pulling the plug "in the coming months" on IOS library access?? That's why I bought the Sonos System in 2012 in the first place. Now I'll have to use streaming services or keep my MacBook up and running to access my Sonos library in my home.

More importantly, I bought the Sonos system to be able to take my music with me to my friends homes and interface with their Sonos systems. Poof, that will no longer work.

In response to IOS problems of late, Sonos thinks the solution is just to eliminate that functionality.

Come on Sonos, our music libraries are mobile and you need to support them!!

111 replies

Naw, not upset at all. Never really used it on iPhone or Android.

Appears it's an Apple issue, should still work on Android devices. Switch your phone if you really use it. Lots of Android phones/tablets also support SD cards, so you can save thousands of tracks without using up your device's limited flash storage.
I used to use it, but it became unreliable with the release of iOS 11. I did some research, and pinned it down to a change made by Apple. I had hopes that Sonos and Apple would have been able to come to some sort of resolution, but having had professional interactions with Apple myself, I didn’t hold out much hope, even given the length of time involved. Apple is intractable, IMHO, and Sonos is too “small” a user base to affect Apple, and I’m sure Apple would prefer that people move from Sonos to Homepods.

Am am I angry? Not really, I am sad, and feel badly for Sonos who will bear the brunt of the anger, which I feel should be laid at Apple’s feet. Sonos didn’t make the change, Apple did.

It isn’t a great situation for Sonos, but fortunately there are multiple options that already exist, and work well. I use a mix of my local library on an NAS, managed by iTunes (for now), combined wit( AirPlay 2 when I am listening to Baseball games on TuneIn Premium

And I am speaking as a mostly Apple household. 3 Macs, 2 iPads, an iPhone, and a Windows machine.
Userlevel 3
Very upset to the point of wanting to know if there is a legal case to get my money back on the three speakers and the controller (can't remember the correct name, it links to the amp.) that we have.
This is the only feature my wife uses and the only reason we bought the Sonos.

She does not have the time to manage multiple playlists and music collections.
We don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a streaming service just for this feature. Sonos should pay that for us, they have dropped a key feature.

The simplest solution would be for them to add it as a firmware update to their older products, specifically, in our case the Sonos Play 1's.

The second option would be to offer a significant trade in for older products.

I like a real world example because it often illustrates the absurdity of what software vendors think they can get away with.
If a car manufacturer came along and took one of the doors off of your car and told you to just hang on tight round corners, you would tell them they were crazy.
Sonos take away a wheel and say it's OK you can buy a skateboard and prop that corner up with that, that's obviously OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Did you read this thread or the announcement? If you did you would know this is a situation made by apple. Want a rant then go and rant to them. Besides there are plenty of other options. Yes it's frustrating but it's not the end of the product and airplay 2 works just as well if not better.
Userlevel 1
I am very upset as well. I have 3 of the speakers and the only reason I bought them was for the ease of use via my iPhone. I understand this appears to be an Apple induced problem, but it still sucks.

As a product user and shareholder of both Apple and Sonos I feel screwed.

Really hoping the 2 companies can work this out. If their solution is to get me to buy replacement upgrades from either company then I'll find another company. Again, this really sucks.

At a minimum Sonos should offer one hell of a discount for me to trade in the soon to be useless speakers as they will no longer operate as advertised.
I understand this appears to be an Apple induced problem, but it still sucks.

At a minimum Sonos should offer one hell of a discount for me to trade in the soon to be useless speakers as they will no longer operate as advertised.

Why should Sonos pay for a problem caused by Apple?

I will never understand why people lock themselves into Apple’s vastly inferior ecosystem, then whine because they’re locked in. Crazy.
Userlevel 3
Did you read this thread or the announcement? If you did you would know this is a situation made by apple. Want a rant then go and rant to them. ...and airplay 2 works just as well if not better.
I did read the thread but, in my opinion, the onus is still on Sonos, they marketed their product and sold a lot of them based on a feature that they are now withdrawing.
The reason for the withdrawal is unfortunate for Sonus but why should I and the thousands of other customers be left with products that cannot be used the way we expected to use them. This should not be at our cost.
Spending nearly £600 to replaced my 3x Play:1's with One's is quite a high cost for a consumer to pay because a corporation made a poor design choice.
Also, I cannot find an alternative Sonos product to replace the Connect, which does not appear to support AirPlay!
That is my opinion too. A significant trade in value, would be an acceptable solution.

I'd still ask, why can't they just firmware update the Play:1's to support AirPlay?

Also to get the whole rant out of the way...
What stops a corporation, claiming to have a technical issue they can't resolve, just to force every customer to buy a new version of their product every year or two!
Userlevel 3

Because Sonos decided to market to those Apple customers.
They can't have it both ways. They could have chosen to only support Android owners but their market would have been much smaller.
Just switch to Android. Get yourself out of Apple jail. Simple.
Userlevel 2
Leaving aside the anti Apple ranters this is really not on.
My wife and I use this feature daily - without it my 3 Play 1's are largely useless - I am not buying a £200 replacement, a premium streaming service or leaving my Mac on permanently.
It may have been caused by Apple but I bought the speakers off Sonos. They offered the feature, they are taking it away. Airplay works on other Sonos devices - either modify the Play 1, give me a replacement that works or my money back!

A genuine question and not a poke: was this an advertised feature? I ask because this has never been a mainstream Sonos feature.
Another option that I don't recall seeing so far. Some routera have a USB port. I used a 128GB flash drive as my Sonos music library in a holiday home for a while. It won't be possible for everyone but it will be an option for some.

I think it was a BT Home Hub 6 I did this with. Also with a Netgear travel router.
Leaving aside the anti Apple ranters this is really not on.
My wife and I use this feature daily - without it my 3 Play 1's are largely useless - I am not buying a £200 replacement, a premium streaming service or leaving my Mac on permanently.
It may have been caused by Apple but I bought the speakers off Sonos. They offered the feature, they are taking it away. Airplay works on other Sonos devices - either modify the Play 1, give me a replacement that works or my money back!

What, because you are not prepared to leave your Mac on?
Userlevel 2
No I don't leave my Mac on as some days I don't use it (use tablet instead) and no I won't leave it on overnight. Also this morning Sonos would not work with Mac library - came up with error message - went to 'on this iPhone' which worked. Later Mac library worked but seems is not reliable.
Re Kumar question - it was an item on a menu - I bought one Play1, liked its features and bought 2 more on the strength of that - now a feature I found very useful is being removed, of course I am annoyed.

Re Kumar question - it was an item on a menu - I bought one Play1, liked its features and bought 2 more on the strength of that - now a feature I found very useful is being removed, of course I am annoyed.

You have every right to be annoyed since you were using the product in that manner. And it is no doubt a convenient way of doing so, although it never made sense to me since all my music is on a NAS. Which I rarely use these days, now that streaming services are picking up that burden and much more.
You do however realise that you can opt out of the future free upgrades, in continuation of those you have received till now, and retain this feature?
However that is not the approach I recommend, and on balance you are better off picking one of those recommended.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
if I used iOS.... maybe.

Fortunately I don't, so I'm not losing any functionality.

If I did, I'd most likely look into one of the many alternatives on how to play my music through Sonos. Instead of having a little tantrum that I've seen from other users.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
We don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a streaming service just for this feature.

Why not? I bet you "rent" your router from your ISP.

If so, buy your own router and replace the one from your ISP.

Now use that saved money for a streaming service.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Because Sonos decided to market to those Apple customers.
They can't have it both ways. They could have chosen to only support Android owners but their market would have been much smaller.

You do know and realize that Android holds about 80+% of the mobile device market share?
Userlevel 1
I'm so upset!
This is a feature I really like and use a lot.
I've 10000 favourite songs on my ipod and this means i only get to use the partially supported Airplay function to play my songs.
I think Sonos should put more effort into finding a way to resolve the issue rather than reducing the functionality on a system which i think is already restricted by the lack of a bluetooth connect (i can live with this).
Its uncharacteristic of an engineering (sound engineering) firm to step down so easy!

NO to this!.....improve, don't reduce!
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Really ! Apple have zero interest in letting this feature continue, especially as they now have their own wireless speaker offering.
This has been an issue since September 19, 2017. I'm assuming that Sonos was aware of the potential issue before that, and has been attempting to negotiate with Apple since then. I'm quite certain this was not a snap judgement by Sonos, nor one they wanted to make.

But the simple fact is that there are many other methods available to play Sonos music. It is indeed unfortunate that Apple has forced this change in streaming from their iOS devices, but I am relatively certain Sonos is just as unhappy about it, and has looked at every conceivable alternative out there over the time since iOS 11 was released.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
You do know and realize that Android holds about 80+% of the mobile device market share?

This is an interesting stat (even if the number is inflated a little). But can you extract anything from this with regards to Sonos?

What would be more interesting is what percentage of Sonos users are on iOS.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

This is an interesting stat (even if the number is inflated a little). But can you extract anything from this with regards to Sonos?

Looks like I was a bit off. Currently at 75.27%

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide

More relevant would be how many of these are using this feature, given that sources such are NAS, radio, and streaming services abound. And using this feature makes Sonos akin to a bluetooth speaker, and those that want that kind of use usually get one.
I have an unanswered question: what happens when one has to use the phone as one when music is being played via this route?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Very upset to the point of wanting to know if there is a legal case to get my money back on the three speakers and the controller (can't remember the correct name, it links to the amp.) that we have.
This is the only feature my wife uses and the only reason we bought the Sonos.

She does not have the time to manage multiple playlists and music collections.
We don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a streaming service just for this feature. Sonos should pay that for us, they have dropped a key feature.

The simplest solution would be for them to add it as a firmware update to their older products, specifically, in our case the Sonos Play 1's.

The second option would be to offer a significant trade in for older products.

I like a real world example because it often illustrates the absurdity of what software vendors think they can get away with.
If a car manufacturer came along and took one of the doors off of your car and told you to just hang on tight round corners, you would tell them they were crazy.
Sonos take away a wheel and say it's OK you can buy a skateboard and prop that corner up with that, that's obviously OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!