Question

Remove duplicate tracks from Sonos Playlist?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Come on Sonos, it's such a simple and must have feature.
Come on Sonos give us a break, please make EASY to delete songs on our playlists. This is crazy!!
I spent a good couple of hours updating my playlist yesterday and i know there will be duplicates, this thread has been going on for two years now and still they haven't created a fix. I love my SONOS and have it all around the house costing me lots of money. Sort it out SONOS, it can't be that hard.
Same problem here, I find it really difficult to believe that I cant sort my playlist or queue alphabetically, Christ its 2015. Is there a petition on line somewhere to get the functionality added?
Userlevel 1
Hi, If you've got multiple instances of the same track in your queue list, you can remove the duplicates manually or simply clear the queue list to create a clean sample. We strive to continuously improve the user experience of Sonos and would love to hear about your ideas: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/new
Are you kidding, J. Gunnar?  There are 1200 songs on my playlist.  You're telling me Sonos' best solution is for me to spend weeks cross-referencing the songs and deleting duplicates?  Or just clear every song out of a playlist I have carefully created over a long period of time? 

I have never seen a company make so many excuses to avoid doing a little work to improve its product -- particularly in the face of the hundreds of customers asking for a sort function.  Sonos, this is pathetic.  Every other music service can do this, why can't you??
late 2016 ... still an issue .. Speakers are Extraordinary ... App is utter Garbage .. I am perplexed at how a company could spend so much time making a great speaker only to have it controlled by something a student could make better

Not able to remove duplicates from a playlist ... Was that meeting missed by your flippin product designers
Sonos... I just received a Play 1 on my Birthday. Sounds terrific. I use an Android and have the version 7 Sonos Controller for Android.

As with many users in this forum, I ended up with duplicates in my first playlist. I was able to figure out how to remove a duplicate, so perhaps this is a recent new feature.

1) Open the list of playlists
2) Open the playlist that has duplicates to remove
3) Tap the three dot menu on the upper right of the screen

- select "Edit Playlist" in the menu.
4) Tap the "remove/delete" icon to the left of the song(s).

5) Tap "Done"

I could also rearrange the playlist order while in the edit mode with a long press on the right-hand side

of the song and dragging up or down.

This does not solve the problem of sorting the playlist by title, or artist or genre or track number, all of which would be very useful for huge playlists. Sonos, how is it that this request has been made and nearly three years later, this is not an option? Luckily, my first playlist only has about 100 songs, and I knew the duplicates were at the end of the list.

I would also like to be able to save my playlists for backup or be able to export a playlist to a file.

If we could export and import Sonos playlists, and those files were simple structures, we could at least sort, edit, rearrange, etc. etc. in any text editing app.

Keep innovating, improving and your customers will sell this for you!
I would like to delete some songs from my Android playlist on Sonos.

You can. Load the playlist to the queue, edit the queue, then save the queue back to the playlist.

You can. Load the playlist to the queue, edit the queue, then save the queue back to the playlist.
Why not try Duplicate Files Deleter. It will do a thorough search of your hard disk and find out the two or more duplicate files of the same file which may be stored at different locations. It will give you a comprehensive list of all those files and you can decide for yourself what you want to do with them. It's easy to use.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd like to chime in on this request to provide a popup warning if you are adding a duplicate to a sonos playlist. And it would also be extremely helpful to be able to sort the playlist alphabetically. Since I'm creating playlist that aggregate songs from streaming services and my own library, simply creating an iTunes playlist and importing is not a solution for me. Come on, Sonos!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
You do not understand how Sonos works. Sonos goes and fetches what it plays - nothing is streamed to it. You are compiling a list of fetch files. How would you sort that alphabetically?

If you add the same track from a different source, the file path will be different and hence will not be a duplicate.
You do not understand how Sonos works. Sonos goes and fetches what it plays - nothing is streamed to it. You are compiling a list of fetch files. How would you sort that alphabetically?

If you add the same track from a different source, the file path will be different and hence will not be a duplicate.

While this may be true, the fact of the matter is that the Song Name is the same from both sources and the Song Name is obviously known as it is presented in the app regardless of source. Therefore, if we had the ability to sort by Song Name, we would be able to identify the duplicate entries, regardless of source, and eliminate them as deisired. Heck, to take it one step further, the source can be appended to the song name so that you would know from which source you would be deleting. Perhaps I am missing something, but as a former developer and one who currently leads a number of development teams, on the surface, this does not seem to be that difficult. The question becomes, where in the priority queue does this request land...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
And songs with the same title that are different songs entirely or the same song by different artists?
Agreed, but they already include the artist so hopefully they could continue to do so. You could then still sort by Song Name and see that the artist is either the same or different. Of course, one could argue that the same artist have varying versions of the same song, but for the vast majority of the users, that would be such an insignificant number of the duplicates that they could re-add a different version by that artist if they choose.