Question

Remove duplicate tracks from Sonos Playlist?

Userlevel 2
I've been adding songs I like to a Sonos Playlist. I've just realised I've ended up with a number of duplicate tracks. I naively though that the software would be intelligent enough to not list the same track twice within a playlist. How can I resolve this? I've got too many to manually scroll through and delete. This might be possible if you could sort your playlist by artist or alphabetically, but these are not options either...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi, If you've got multiple instances of the same track in your queue list, you can remove the duplicates manually or simply clear the queue list to create a clean sample. We strive to continuously improve the user experience of Sonos and would love to hear about your ideas: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/new
Userlevel 2
It's not in the queue, it's in a Sonos Playlist and I have 100s of tracks so there is no way I can manually go through them. Also, how could I manually go through them anyway as you don't offer any way of sorting them by artist or track name... Why allow duplicate tracks in a Sonos playlist anyway? Seems a strange logic.
Hi I have this same problem with regards to deleting duplicated tracks from large playlists. They shouldn't be there in the first place! iTunes solved this problem by having a prompt when it detects a duplicate track about to be added - it will then give you the option to skip, add or cancel the request. This option, together with the facility to sort playlists in various ways would be a very useful feature. In addition, there are occasions when I want to delete multiple (but different) tracks from a playlist all at the same time. I currently have to press edit, then the 'no entry' logo followed by delete in order to delete a single track from a playlist - that's three buttons for one action or thirty buttons in order to delete ten tracks for example. A feature similar to the way you delete emails on the iPhone would be ideal - press edit, then highlight every track to be deleted before pressing delete. This would still be three buttons to press in order to delete one track, but only twelve in order to delete ten tracks at once. I hope this makes sense!
Userlevel 2
Given the price of the Sonos kit, it's pretty gobsmacking that something as simple as sorting your Sonos Playlists alphabetically isn't possible! Your idea of a pop-up warning you that you're adding a duplicate track to your Sonos Playlist is good. The problem is that, rather than realise they missed out this basic functionality, they'll ask us to submit this as an "idea" for future consideration... sometime never...
Userlevel 1
The idea of a pop-up warning you that you're adding a duplicate track to your Sonos Playlist is exactly what we need.
Userlevel 1
I agree with the previous posts. It is really astounding that Sonos doesn't have something as basic as a sort function for playlists. I have about 1,500 songs on my Sonos playlist and I can find no easy way to organize them or delete duplicates. This is very frustrating and disappointing.
Any thoughts Sonos?
Gunnar J ... still waiting for an answer... seems the support is lacking for Sonos... still no option of playing Grooveshark playlist... 
Userlevel 1
Really a bummer to see that this is not implemented in the beta version of the new android app.
Sonos: how hard is it to do a little title and artist-check when you add a son to the playlist.

Please make this better!

Regards,
Niels
Badge
Yes please fix this. No solution that I can find on the windows client either.
Userlevel 1
Let me lend my strong support for a facility to edit playlists and also for a pop-up warning when you're going to add a song that is already in a playlist.
I agree - a pop-up would be perfect. I'd also like a sort or find function, so if I'm wondering if I've added a song to the list, I can check that easily. These are all basics that music management software like iTunes does - I'd expect the same of Sono's interface...
Userlevel 1
I'm sure Sonos understands that a substantial subset of their purchasers are serious audiophiles, who, like myself, take great care in assembling and managing playlists. Playlist management tools such as those offered by iTunes are a necessity and should be fast-tracked into production. It would be super peachy keen if Sonos ups the ante and releases even more sophisticated management tools than what iTunes offers!
Has sonos still not fixed this issue? What gives?
Userlevel 1
Sonos has not yet added this functionality. They've given no indication if they are working on it, and if they are, when they expect to roll it out. 
Userlevel 1
Sonos has not yet added this functionality. They've given no indication if they are working on it, and if they are, when they expect to roll it out. 
Dear Sonos,
Can the community get an update on this issue?
Eddie
Guys, forget about Sonos playlists. If you create a new iTunes library (press alt + click on iTunes logo on mac), you can add your music in there, add playlists and as long as the library is accessible via a shared folder to Sonos, it will take the playlists from there and put them into "Imported Playlists" and it will update them. That way, you use iTunes to manage your playlists, it checks for duplicates, you can export them...etc.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Guys, forget about Sonos playlists. If you create a new iTunes library (press alt + click on iTunes logo on mac), you can add your music in there, add playlists and as long as the library is accessible via a shared folder to Sonos, it will take the playlists from there and put them into "Imported Playlists" and it will update them. That way, you use iTunes to manage your playlists, it checks for duplicates, you can export them...etc.

You're right. But my situation is different, as I created many Sonos play lists over the years. And I'd like to be able to back them up and import them for safety reasons.

Take an afternoon/evening off and move all those playlists over to an iTunes library manually. Tedious but you have no other choice from what I can see. You'll be happy ever after 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Manually copying playlists with over 1,000 entries? Chances of doing that without making errors are quite slim. To say the least. I'd like Sonos to take their responsability in this matter.

If you have to do a factory reset and you lose them all, you'll wish you did what I told you 🙂. Your choice, but a playlist of 1000 entries or so can be done over a few days wo/ much problem, and then you have your precious backup in place.

But what if my Sonos playlist is made up of various streaming sites?
Spotify/JB Now/Soundcloud and Hype Machine.
I don't really want to have to download all these songs to my computer to make a new playlist to then import it in.
Also as I live with 2 other people it's easier for us to use the streaming services in case someone takes their computer with them
If it doesn't come soon I'll ask my 12 year old to write the code for them. This reminds me of a company I worked for as a kid. Handful of employees working out of a basement, importing hardware from China, with no say in product design. Sonos needs to grow out of that phase, and fast. Since I bought my speakers much more has become possible from real companies and competitors.
have to admit, given up on sonos playlist, I make mine on iTunes, far superior then import it into sonos.

it is even easier to play your music through windows media and total forget about sonos software. its a shame that a great bit of kit has software that struggles to reach adequate level 
Wow. I'm really baffled by this thread. I was just trying to do exactly what the OP wanted to do, but can't. Absolutely nuts!