Re-Authorise Apple Music

• 11 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, suddenly tonight completely out of the blue, Sonos is asking me to re-authorise my Apple Music account. When you click on the re-authorise button absolutely nothing happens. I have re-installed both Sonos and Apple Music - still getting the re-authorise message. My Sonos controller is on my Samsung phone.  No other family members have the same message. How do I correct this?

9 replies

Perhaps see this earlier thread and the workarounds mentioned in the posts towards the end of the thread…

So the recommended solution is to purchase an Apple device ?! Have I misunderstood ? This is ridiculous. We have invested in hundreds of pounds worth of Sonos speakers throughout our home and now we have to purchase an Apple device to make them work ?! Surely not ! 

So the recommended solution is to purchase an Apple device ?! Have I misunderstood ? This is ridiculous. We have invested in hundreds of pounds worth of Sonos speakers throughout our home and now we have to purchase an Apple device to make them work ?! Surely not ! 

Well, it’s my personal understanding that it’s Apple who needs to fix this on Android products and that the request has gone out from Sonos to do this - I understand some users have followed up the issue with Apple too.

You don’t need to buy an Apple device, most users have borrowed one for a few minutes to authorise the API sharing agreement, after which the Android controller App can then takeover and continue as normal. It’s just the Authorisation token from Apple that isn’t working on the Android controller, I guess.

The posts at the end of the thread explain how to log out of the iOS media service on the Apple device and to use your AppleID account credentials to login and complete the setup process. It literally is a case of borrowing a device for a few minutes until Apple get this issue sorted,

Hi, thank you for your help. I must be very dumb because I can’t see any threads on how to resolve this.  All I can see is posts that say that Sonos and Apple are both denying fault and that no one seems to be getting anywhere with resolving the issue.  

If there is a post which advises how to fix this, would you mind just copying and pasting the solution. It seems that I am not the only one with this problem and its so frustrating having invested so much dosh into Sonos which we love and now can no longer use. It’s not a great advert for Sonos and Apple :0(

If there is a post which advises how to fix this, would you mind just copying and pasting the solution. It seems that I am not the only one with this problem and its so frustrating having invested so much dosh into Sonos which we love and now can no longer use. It’s not a great advert for Sonos and Apple :0(

Sonos can only ask Apple to fix these things, it’s down to Apple when they choose to fix this..

You need to borrow an iPhone for a few minutes and connect it to the same subnet as your Sonos system and log into the Apple Music Service with your account credentials and then install the Sonos App and connect to the ‘existing’ Sonos system and install the built-in Apple Music service in the Sonos App.

You may find this link useful if you’re not familiar with iOS…

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-different-apple-id-for-apple-music-without-using-family-sharing-0384363/

@Greatauntbleach,

Alternatively, perhaps as a temporary measure, you could set aside your Apple Music subscription and switch to this (3-months free) link for Amazon Music HD/UltraHD Unlimited service instead…

www.amazon.com/music/unlimited

Maybe use both services …and decide which service you prefer to use with Sonos in 3 months time, when hopefully Apple will have fixed their issue on Android.

same issue here. pointing fingers at apple does not make sense, i can access my apple account fine from my phone

the support has been pretty condescending to me, very annoyng

please fix this sonos or do not offer apple as a connected service

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Which might, or might not, be an entirely different process. Of course this is annoying problem. But just accusing Sonos of lying without evidence seems a bit harsh to me. Or do you have any evidence Sonos is dragging it's feet on this?

And I must say using Apple Music through Android seems exotic to me - I have allways hated the Apple Music interface and I'm an iOS user.

Thank you Ken for your advice and help.