RadioParadise Lossless

Badge
Shore would be nice if SONOS would work with Bill bill@radioparadise.com to add RadioParadise Lossless capability to their services. Include all the features RP has in their iOS ,Android and Web applications like skipping songs and such. Bill is really active with RP and the current app developer is as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/radio-paradise-lossless-flac-streams-6811857
You may want to contact Bill yourself and make the suggestion that he go to musicpartners.sonos.com and start the process with Sonos.
Badge
I think Bill has already reached out. But Sonos needs a little help in giving it priority 🙂
I reached out to Bill Goldsmith regarding Radio Paradise as a Music Service choice on SONOS. He said has been in contact with SONOS but it would help if the request came from SONOS users.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos doesn't support FLAC or ALAC formats for live streaming radio. The only streaming radio formats they support are MP3, M4A/AAC, and WMA. Until Sonos supports some kind of lossless streaming radio format, this is a moot point.

I'll note that this is a more frequent request these days... but I imagine it would take significant effort on Sonos' part, and there just really aren't a lot of lossless live internet radio streams or services these days.
RP does stream FLAC via the RP Alexa skill on the One. Just ask Alexa to set stream quality to F L A C.
Badge
RP has Andriod and iOS phone apps as well as a new web player that stream FLAC. The Web Player displays the artist Wiki page which is pretty cool little feature. I get it into my main system by forwarding output to an AppleTV device. Alas the airplay implementation is a bit flaky, hopefully someday it will arrive via Sonos which I expect, like everything else Sonos will be virtually bomb proof.

https://new.radioparadise.com/player
Deezer is FLACSonos doesn't support FLAC or ALAC formats for live streaming radio. The only streaming radio formats they support are MP3, M4A/AAC, and WMA. Until Sonos supports some kind of lossless streaming radio format, this is a moot point.

I'll note that this is a more frequent request these days... but I imagine it would take significant effort on Sonos' part, and there just really aren't a lot of lossless live internet radio streams or services these days.

Deezer is FLAC based. So I guess as with everything else, if you're big enough, you get the attention you need. RP's 320k stream is good enough for my ears.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Deezer is FLAC based. So I guess as with everything else, if you're big enough, you get the attention you need. RP's 320k stream is good enough for my ears.
Deezer isn't a live radio stream. Deezer is a song-by-song music service, just like stations on Google Play Music, Pandora, Slacker, Spotify, and other services. Live radio streams are one continuous stream of audio data, which might include metadata that changes as the song changes, but the audio stream does not break between songs. This is where FLAC is not supported. If I had to guess, this is usually (at least from the few streams I've seen) because OGG is used to wrap the FLAC audio data in a FLAC live radio stream, and OGG is also not supported in a live streaming format on Sonos. OGG with Vorbis-encoded audio is supported for a local music library only, just like FLAC.
I believe RP via Alexa is using the Alexa Audio Player API. On 2nd gen Echos and Dots, you can ask RP to stream FLAC, but it will fail, and fallback to Ultra. On the Sonos One, it will stay in FLAC mode, and play fine. Ask RP to report the streaming quality, and it will report FLAC. So, either it’s streaming FLAC successfully, or Amazon is perhaps transcoding it in the cloud to something compatible, if FLAC isn’t, in fact, supported.
Badge
I too listen to RP a lot through my Sonos players. Would be great if PSD support 1/ Skip songs 2/ Select the music type (mellow, Rockin, groovy) as supported on the Android app.
I listen to RadioParadise exclusively on my high-dollar Sonos system. BTW, Sonos doesn't make a low-dollar system, so I guess what I'm saying is I pay enough for Sonos products that they should include some exclusive RP functionality found in other popular low- or no-cost systems. It shouldn't be rocket surgery. I'm also tired of my Sonos disconnecting or not being able to find local content - the Sonos app seems to be finicky about what local content it can play and compared to other interfaces could be improved for this user by adding this feature.
I listen to RadioParadise exclusively on my high-dollar Sonos system. BTW, Sonos doesn't make a low-dollar system, so I guess what I'm saying is I pay enough for Sonos products that they should include some exclusive RP functionality found in other popular low- or no-cost systems. It shouldn't be rocket surgery. I'm also tired of my Sonos disconnecting or not being able to find local content - the Sonos app seems to be finicky about what local content it can play and compared to other interfaces could be improved for this user by adding this feature.

Entirely up to RP to provide this. Sonos has a published API that they can use. They're a very small Mom&Pop operation, with FAR fewer listeners than, for example, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc, so even if they're inclined, it may take them years to raise enough money to implement. Perhaps if you offered to fund it?...