Question

Radio Suisse Classique ► then immediately ■

Radio Suisse Classique: Sonos connects then immediately halts. The German and Italian channels of RSC are online on Sonos and TuneIn and are playable. The French RSC is online and available on a PC browser and also on my stand-alone Web radio. I’ve updated all the player firmware and upgraded to S2 controller and rebooted all the Sonos units.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

@laforet Sorry for the slow reply and welcome to the Sonos Community. Are you still having an issue with these particular stations? If yes, I am not certain if this is not related to your network performance for Sonos or a Region issue as I am able to access and test these stations with no issue. I would also ask that you updated us with your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). When you have gathered that information then please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. While we are powering back on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When you are reconnected you can then test the music playback for 30+ minutes and update us with a new diagnostic report number.

Thanks. Yes, I’m still getting this issue and it’s now worse: the German language version ‘Radio Swiss Klassic’ is manifesting the same behaviour. No problem accessing via my cheap Internet radio, a browser or their own app on iPhone or tablet, but the Sonos app loads the channel then goes into ■ mode as soon as I touch ►. I’ll go through the protocol you describe next Weekend and see what happens. At the moment I don’t want to reboot my router as I have various other work-related services this can disrupt.

Worth reiterating that this has worked fine for many years across many generations of product and controller: it just happened independently and with no underlying changes to equipment or network service, other than the new controller. although it wasn’t coincident with that. I did wonder if it’s somehow a change in the data stream from the provider. Anyway, let’s see what happens next Weekend….. Cheers

I’m replying as msej449 because I can’t log into my laforet account. 

I am having exactly the same problem. For years everything worked fine until the method of streaming classical music through Sonos suddenly changed.

I now have stream my music via Sonos Radio. At the top level this features:

(1) A number of individual Sonos Stations, including just one classical station called Concert Hall.

(2) Local Radio, which is actually mostly BBC National Radio programmes, plus some local programmes listed afterwards, all of which will play.

(3) Featured (Stations) which include Classic FM and Classical KUSC, all of which will also play.

(4) Browse Radio. This is broken down into a number of subsections, the first of which is Music. This is in turn broken down into various subsections, including Classical. Finally at this level you will find a large number of icons for classical radio stations. Near the top of this list is Classic Fm which works fine as a TuneIn station. The seventh, eighth and ninth icons are all for Radio Swiss Classic in its three languages: Italian,  French and German. Only the Italian version works, and that is the only one of the three languages that I don't speak!  If you click on the icons for the other two stations, nothing happens.

Until recently the three language versions were labelled Radio Swiss Classic (German), Radio Suisse Classique (French) and Radio Svizzera Classica (Italian).  Now the last two icons are both labelled Radio Swiss Classic, but as neither of them work, we cannot tell which language version each of them should be. For some strange reason one of them is identified as a Sonos Radio Station and the other as TuneIn station.

The whole of this setup is total muddle. The only way I can stream the German version (which I much prefer) is through the Radio Swiss Classic website, which incidentally is written in English! In my opinion the choice of classical music streamed on the internet is very poor. Classic FM has far too much talking and isn't always classical. BBC Radio 3, like most of the rest of the BBC, is dire. For me Radio Swiss Classic is the only beacon which truly shines in the darkness. Please can we have it all back; this is not really a technical but an organisational issue.

Many thanks

Tim Adams

As I have just received a reminder to revisit the forum, I will recapitulate if I may.

We are experiencing almost exactly the same problems as laforet  (the channel goes into ■ mode as soon as I touch ►). A few days after I had updated to the Sonos 2 controller, the channel from Radio Swiss Classic (in German) suddenly failed. Browsing TuneIn via the Sonos 2 app, only the Italian channel (Radio Svizerra Classica) can be located, but at least it does work. The only trouble is neither of us speaks any Italian!

Browsing Sonos Radio, we can actually locate all three channels for Radio Swiss Classic, named as follows and in the following order: Radio Suisse Classique (French), Radio Svizzera Classica (Italian), and then some way further down the list, Radio Swiss Classic (German, but described in English). Of these three channels, again only the Italian one works. The other two go into ■ mode as soon as I try to start them.

Quite apart from the repertoire which suits our taste so well, the great joy of Radio Swiss Classic is that chatter is kept to the absolute minimum - just a brief description of the piece of music that has just been played and then what is about to be played; no lectures and no advertisements. But please can we can access to all three channels, not just the only one in a language we can’t understand? 

To anyone monitoring: the Sonos Forum software doesn’t allow me to post mixed images, tables and text without moderation. So all you’ve got (above) is the topology and router’s attached devices table. I assume someone on the staff will release my full response when they come in next week (unless my reference to ‘virtual mapping of meshed-to-Ethernet devices’ is considered too racy :-). Basically, I did the complete re-boot and reload as suggested but it made no difference. 

So, any news on this? Nothing has changed and I still can’t get Radio Suisse Classique on my £2K Sonos system but I can on my £120 Internet radio. 

I have this problem too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, welcome to the community, and thanks for reaching out. If the station is not available outside Sonos which is TuneIn could be the reason why it’s not working. Try adding it manually following the article about adding an Internet radio station to Sonos. Also, commentary and content on Sonos Sound System are recorded and streamed in English only at this time and we’d be happy to share your interest for additional programming with the Sonos Radio Team. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions. Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Use Add radio station:

The German version should be available via

http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/rsc_de/mp3_128

We were having this exact problem and missing listening to Radio Suisse.

Happy to confirm the instructions to add the stations back in manually have worked perfectly and we're now able to listen to the stations on Sonos again!

The French URL is http://stream.srg-ssr.ch/m/rsc_fr/mp3_128

Thank you @Soufriere - that URL worked for me here in the UK. 

Ad-free classical music again, at last!

My workaround for the French language version was to install the ‘myTuner Radio’ service (Manage, Service Settings, Add) which also carries it and other stations no longer available on Tunein.  In fact I changed most of my faves from Tunein to myTuner Radio out of pique!