Radio Station will not play

• 17 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Since upgrading to S1 11.2.4 the internet radio station Phsychedelik Ambient will not play.  I have tried TuneIn, myTuner Radio and Sonos radio all with the same result.  Station plays fine using TuneIn web app.  Appears to be a Sonos issue.  Occasionally when I attempt to start it the TuneIn lead in plays over and over, station never starts.

My system is PC S1 control app, bridge and 2 Play3s.

How can I get this fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Randy H.,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your detailed post describing your concern. Are you getting an error message when you tried to play Psychedelik - Ambient? To help you out with this, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

Thank Rowena for the reply.

No, I don’t get any error messages.

Just tried playing it twice, then submitted diagnostics.  Confirmation number 1511092101.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Randy H. Have you contacted the station to see if they can offer any suggestions?

Hi nik9669a, yes I have contacted the station,  They checked and their server is running fine.  I’ve also tried running their station from TuneIn web page and it plays fine..

Hi nik9669a, yes I have contacted the station,  They checked and their server is running fine.  I’ve also tried running their station from TuneIn web page and it plays fine..

Tune-In may have changed the link, and if you are playing from a Sonos favorite, it is using the old li\nk.  Try the station from the Tune-In section of the Sonos app.  If it works there, delete and resave the favorite.

I’ve already removed it from favorites and tried directly from TuneIn, myTurner Radio, and Sonos radio.

All three services act the same.

Many services use different servers / ports for where they’re serving the stream, it makes it much easier, I would guess, to track where the traffic is coming from. But as you’ve checked with the device, it’s hard to tell.

I’d have put my money on jgatie’s or nik9669a’s solutions, but will wait to see what Sonos says. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Randy H.

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Psychedelik - Ambient station is available in TuneIn and Sonos Radio. We appreciate you for doing the steps recommended by @nik9669a@jgatie, and @Airgetlam, in this thread.

Based on the diagnostic report, your Sonos Bridge is sending a weak WiFi signal that failed to share the settings with your other Sonos devices. Also, your Sonos devices have been up for 36 days. This might be causing why you can't play the radio station.

Let me suggest refreshing the network connection and your Sonos to check if this will make any improvements.

1. Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power including the Sonos Bridge. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos devices are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.
  2. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Test playback and observe Sonos performance.
  3. Hardwire another Sonos speaker to your router.
    • Test playback and observe Sonos performance.

If you're still facing the same, I recommend contacting our phone support to remotely access your device and perform some tests on the music services to isolate the issue. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you.  

First - if it was weak wi-fi then all stations would be affected, not just one.

1. Already tried rebooting everything - no difference.
  2. I’m running S1 on PC - doesn’t have Settings>System>Network…..   Have on old phone, can’t run the latest mobile app on it.  It doesn’t have Settings>System… either.  BTW if it was a channel issue it would also affect all stations, not just one.
  3. I’ll try connecting directly to my router, but don’t expect that to make any difference.

When this first happened I spent 2 hours with chat support.  They could not find anything, said all diagnostics looked good.  Suggested I talk to the radio station.  Do you expect phone support to be any better?

I chatted with the station, no problems there.  In fact three of their stations play just fine on Sonos.

Remember this all started after I upgraded the Sonos software.

It there anyway to load an older version?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Randy H.

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Let me share some information with you.

The diagnostic gives us a snapshot of your system and helps us identify what’s causing the issue. The diagnostic report you submitted showed that your Sonos Bridge and speakers have been up for 35 days. Rebooting your Sonos will not only refresh the devices and their network connection but fix network-related issues, from no connection to slow connection.

Sonos system can be configured in either a wireless or wired setup, with the Sonos Bridge wired to your router, it created a Sonos network. However, the report shows that your Bridge is sending a weak WiFi signal.

I'd recommend contacting our phone support team. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system, remotely access your device, and run some tests on why you can't play Psychedelik - Ambient radio station on TuneIn, myTuner Radio, and Sonos Radio.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know. 

Badge

I have had Sonos for about 8 years now and have NEVER had the Radio funcitno work properly. If I had known this before buying, I never would have bought this junk