Radio skipping backwards - BBC radio repeats

Userlevel 1

Diagnostic 1334398637, occasionally the radio skips back and repeats a few seconds, the radio will later turn off.

146 replies

I've had this issue for weeks now on various BBC stations. It doesn't make any difference what app is used to select the stations or whether selecting control of Sonos by Windows pc or phone app. I don't have Alexa or any voice controllers. This fault appears to have been going on for ages with Sonos and BBC blaming each other. Maybe time to bring the issue to the attention of  mainstream media. Perhaps the issue will be resolved faster if the BBC's reputation and Sonos sales are in danger of being affected?

The issue has been going on for months for me.  I mostly listen to Radio 4 via Sonos and use the Alexa app on the Sonos to “instruct” as in “Alexa - Play Radio 4”. The response, perhaps since BBC Sounds appeared (??) has been “Playing BBC Radio 4 - BBC Sounds”

Just a thought - the “beeps” Time signal before the News must be delayed!  When and how does it each up?

Will Sonos and BBC PLEASE collaborate and sort this irritating issue?

Just a thought - the “beeps” Time signal before the News must be delayed!  When and how does it each up?

This is an Internet stream. It isn't on time in the first place. 

Thanks for that.  I didn’t know.  What is the accurate radio?  I tend to use my iPhone and/or electronic clocks for setting the time which appear to be identical.

Userlevel 3

Yes just to add my name to this list, I listen to Radio 2 via Tunein on Sonos 1s and 4/5 times day it skips back. My sonos’s are actually hardwired so don’t fob me off with wifi interference.

Does anyone know whether any of the technicians from Sonos and/or the BBC are actually working on this issue?  It’s getting particularly irritating when trying to listen to the news?  If so, will they give us an update here please?

Userlevel 3

I'm also having this issue on BBC 1, 2 and 5 using S1 app Radioplayer

To update, nearly 1 month on, I now have NO skipping and have been playing Radio 2 for approx 8 hours a day for the month.

• I stopped using “Ok Google”
  • I initiate the radio station via the S2 app (not the S1 app)

...I don’t tend to skip radio stations so I can manually play and pause on the device.  If I want to change channels I’ll use S2 app to do so but my interaction with the app is limited once I’m set.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Does anyone know whether any of the technicians from Sonos and/or the BBC are actually working on this issue?  It’s getting particularly irritating when trying to listen to the news?  If so, will they give us an update here please?

I raised a call and there was a lot of discussion and several diagnostics submitted, the final answer was

""thank you for Contacting Sonos Customer Care again, and for the information you provided!

We have double-checked the diagnostic you sent us, and unfortunately, the issue seems not to be a Sonos-related one: it occurs when playing BBC through Sonos Radio, TuneIn, and Radioplayer, but there are no skips or delays when you are playing something else, for instance, Spotify.

Unfortunately, at this point our troubleshooting steps will not solve the issue - though, we log it, and try to find a solution with BBC.

Thank you for your understanding!"

now, if they are any updates from either/both it would be good to see but... Silence... 

Happens with absolute radio too!

Until the most recent post, which isn't about the BBC, this thread had gone quiet.

I have not experienced this problem for 2 or3 weeks. I have been using the app rather than Alexa to launch the stream. 

Has this issue largely gone away or are others still having frequent problems?

It affects my Sonos on an almost daily basis. We listen to Radio 1 and Radio 4.

[Edit]

I generally initiate the system via Alexa rather than the Sonos app - I have two small children so need to be able to control the volume/what’s playing quickly and can’t always find my phone!

It affects my Sonos on an almost daily basis. We listen to Radio 1 and Radio 4.

[Edit]

I generally initiate the system via Alexa rather than the Sonia app - I have two small children so need to be able to control the volume/what’s playing quickly and can’t always find my phone!

I suggest you try launching the stream from the app. Use voice control to change volume etc. See how it goes. 

I have more or less the same issue, but I’m listening to the Danish radio station DR P4 via TuneIn. 
Every 15-30 minutes it skips back about 30 minutes. If I stop and and restart the stream it gets back to “now”. 
I have a Sonos One and 3 SYMFONISK, using Google Assistant. I can restart the stream by pressing a button on the speakers, the S2 app on the phone/computer and and IKEA remote control. 
It can’t be a issue with BBC when it happens for me listening to a Danish Radio Station. 

/Jost

I have more or less the same issue, but I’m listening to the Danish radio station DR P4 via TuneIn. 
Every 15-30 minutes it skips back about 30 minutes. If I stop and and restart the stream it gets back to “now”. 
I have a Sonos One and 3 SYMFONISK, using Google Assistant. I can restart the stream by pressing a button on the speakers, the S2 app on the phone/computer and and IKEA remote control. 
It can’t be a issue with BBC when it happens for me listening to a Danish Radio Station. 

/Jost

But it could be an issue with the stream, and it doesn't sound identical to the BBC issue.

Does your problem occur whether you start the stream originally using voice or from the Sonos app?

But it could be an issue with the stream, and it doesn't sound identical to the BBC issue.

Does your problem occur whether you start the stream originally using voice or from the Sonos app?

It might not be 100% identical but it still skips back. So I think it’s kinda related. 

It doesn’t matter how I start the stream. It happens whether I use the app, the button on the speakers, the remote control or voice control via Google Assistant. 
Today the radio started two hours ago and it have happened 3 times. 

/Jost

I suggest you submit a system diagnostic after it has happened and call Sonos with the confirmation number.

I suggest you submit a system diagnostic after it has happened and call Sonos with the confirmation number.

Ok, I’ll try that. It just happened again a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the help.

/Jost

After experiencing the skipping/repeating problems with Tunein and Radioplayer I switched to myTuner radio two months ago and I haven’t experienced any skipping/repeating at all since then on either Radio 4 or Radio 2.

Badge

After several months of experiencing a similar issue, and trying to resolve it myself (ie by moving wireless channels, moving access points etc), I’ve discovered I’m not alone.

I’m 99% sure this isn’t down to my wireless network - 3 Sonos One’s all connected wirelessly to a Mesh network.  They all get a decent signal and my 70Mbps broadband is pretty reliable.  

I have a daily Sonos alarm which plays Radio X on Sonos Radio - so not a BBC problem.  Most days I experience the ‘rewind’ issue a few times in the couple of hours listening (and at that time of day, the broadband isn’t used for much else).  Slightly more rarely, maybe once a week, the radio just stops playing and I have to restart it in the app.

The other thing that happens - maybe unrelated but in case it helps - I often join another Sonos to listen to the same radio, but the “secondary” Sonos occasionally gets disconnected for a time, like it’s not receiving from the first even though they’re really not far apart.

Will gladly submit a diagnostic but thought I’d share details up front to add a different setup/radio station into the mix.

I see this tread goes some time back but I would say that I have the same probleme in Norway. Using TuneIn and listning mostly to NRK P3.

An additional problem is that I use the radio as my alarmclock and it turns off itself after 20-30 minutes. Tried everything to fix this… Hmpf…

Howard