Answered

Radio Program names not updating in Now Playing

Badge

All radio program titles have stopped updating. The music currently playing updates correctly but the program doesn't. So when I start Sonos in the morning I see last night's show title but today's tune! This happens on all providers, TuneIn, Radio player etc. It started some time ago on Sonos v1. I updated to v2 but it's the same. If I re select the same station it gets the correct program but never changes.

Any ideas appreciated!

icon

Best answer by James L. 12 March 2021, 11:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge +17

Hey @PVG999, welcome to the community.

That information is provided by the radio station to the radio service you’re using (TuneIn, RadioPlayer etc.) which is then fed through to Sonos. 

I’ve tested it with a couple of UK based stations and haven’t noticed any major de-sync on my end.

Could you name a few of the stations you’ve noticed this on so I can check it out?

Badge

Hi James, I've seen it on both Scala Radio and Classic FM, both on TuneIn and Radioplayer.

Thanks for your help.

Badge +17

Thanks for providing that information.

I’ve tested with Scala Radio through TuneIn this morning and I agree, there’s a bit of a delay in the currently playing text updating. I’m not quite seeing as large of a delay that you reported, but there were a couple of occasions where the track didn’t quite match what was being reported on the Now Playing screen. Then again, there were more occasions where the text updated almost instantly. This is controlled by the radio station directly, and I’d encourage you to reach out to them directly to let them know.

Badge

Hi James, thanks for looking at this for me. Perhaps i didn't explain clearly enough but the issue isn't with the currently playing track, these usually update very quickly, as you saw.

The problem is the radio show title doesn't update at all on any shows. For example Scala has an evening show called "The Space" and when I start playing the following morning I still see the same title, even though I should see "Charles Nove". If I re select the same station it shows the correct title.

It does update properly on the Windows app, it's just my galaxy s10e that doesn't play right!

Badge +17

That’s interesting, I don’t actually see the name of the show at all - just the currently playing track. Could you provide a screenshot of what you’re seeing? 

Badge

Badge

That's what I saw this morning, left over from last night. It hasn't started playing a track hence just the show title

Badge

Badge

That's the current one, the show is called Mark Forrest so you see that and the track playing

Badge +17

Ah perfect, thanks for that. It seems like RadioPlayer has extra metadata fields to display the current show name as well as the track name. TuneIn doesn’t appear to have this (at least for Scala radio). I’ll flag this with our engineering team to pass this on to RadioPlayer but I don’t think there’s much we can do to sort it in the short term. I’ve included screenshots of the same station on both RadioPlayer and TuneIn and you can see that the show name doesn’t appear on the TuneIn stream.

Badge

Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed, Radioplayer seems to sound better…

At least if I use TuneIn I won't notice the show name not updating!