Radio play repeats passages

Badge +1

Hi, we've noticed over this past few weeks that during bbc radio broadcasting on our Sonos system the stream periodically repeats 30-60 seconds of output, any ideas what could be causing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Yeshawk.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post, let me help you out and try to figure this out.

I'd like to take a look at some data from your system. Please submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number after this issue happens. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge +1

Hi Annazel, thanks for your reply, as soon as it happens again I'll send over a diagnostic report.

Regards Ross Wakley

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Yeshawk.

Thanks for your response.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hi, I am having the same problem. Have you found out what’s happening.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Liz.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Apparently, we haven’t got an update yet on this thread from the OP, but let me help and try to figure out what’s going on.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, preferably after a few minutes when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Hi,

I’m still (connect with Sonos case 02070576) suffering the same problem.  Ever since the update to S2 this has been a problem for me - no other changes to my set-up/network.

Any update?

Hi

i have the same issue. If you can please give me a number, I’ll upload a report when it happens next. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone. We appreciate your patience while working through this. It will be very helpful to submit a diagnostic report on the Sonos app after a few minutes when the issue happens and reach out to Sonos Support so we can take a closer look at this and discuss the diagnostic result with all of you individually in real-time.

I suggest contacting our phone team, for they have more resources and tools available for advanced troubleshooting to expedite the process. When you have a moment during the week, please give our support number a call.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’re always here to help.

I have this happening too, its very annoying. 

Did you follow any of the requests/suggestionspresented in the post before yours?

Hi, I have just suffered another of these repeat passages while listening to Radio 2, the second time this morning. I've submitted a diagnostic, number 728377785. I'll also raise my own support ticket as I'm getting a bit fed up with the issue, it happens repeatedly through the day, and had only been noticed done the S1/S2 split occurred (I'm on S2). 

Dear “Sonos”,

I have been having this problem too. I sent a diagnostic to you yesterday at 15.56 (UK time) Ref: 337455594.

What happens next?

Thanks

Dave

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pilbo and @altoftsdave.

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble.

As per my suggestion above, after submitting the diagnostic, you can give us a call so the technician can discuss it with you individually and continue working through this in real-time, they'll start with checking your system health and go from there. They have resources available for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Me too! Thought I was going mad!

Its been happening for at least 2-3 weeks and only on BBC Radio 1. 

It's only a slight annoyance but next time it happens I'll put a diagnostic here although I guess it's a software issue rather than something unique to me given that others experience it (although what do I know!)

This has been happening to me for several months & I get repeated sections of music & speech many, many times every day when listening to Radio 2. It appeared to start after a Sonos software upgrade some time back but I left it as I assumed I wouldn't be the only one affected & it seems I’m not! I assumed that Sonos would quickly correct what seems to be some sort of bug caused by their upgrade but it’s now just dragging on & on. I’ve got 3 Play 1’s, a Play 5 & a Playbar but it’s now starting to drive me nuts; anyone know what’s going on & if/when it’s likely to be cured?

Maybe the diagnostics will get looked at this time, unlike on this thread?

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/repeating-parts-of-bbc-radio-station-6849223

I am not totally convinced this is a Sonos problem, as it appears to occur only with BBC stations.  The BBC has previous ‘form’ for changing things that create problems for Sonos.  I have an open mind on this one.  Might be Sonos, might be the BBC. might be some weird interaction between the two.

(I vaguely recall a BBC radio problem years ago that affected only Sonos users with Virgin as their ISP, because there were a couple of misfiring BBC servers dedicated to that ISP.)

Diagnostics the best hope, I think.  I am not convinced that this is anything directly to do with individual system health. (A bit rich coming from me, as I am always telling others that it’s their network that is the problem.  But it’s the BBC specificity that doesn’t seem to fit with that.)

Not sure why BBC would knowingly interfere with streaming service quality, what would they have to gain! I don't really care whose fault it is, BBC/Tune In/Sonos? Most of us are actually paying for a 3rd party streaming service that isn’t delivering at the moment so, as far as I’m concerned, Sonos, as an up market hardware supplier, need to sort this out regardless of who caused the problem. If not, I may just cut my losses & sell all my Sonos stuff on eBay & replace it with B&O; yes it’s more expensive but my son in law has it & it’s much better quality!

Who said anything about 'knowingly interfering'. What has paid-for streaming got to do with it? As for the empty threat to sell your Sonos …

Rarely has such a variety of nonsense been concentrated into a single post.

:rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

It's only a slight annoyance but next time it happens I'll put a diagnostic here although I guess it's a software issue rather than something unique to me given that others experience it (although what do I know!)

Just happened. Diagnostic is 1732783090 if anyone at Sonos wants to take  a look. Cheers

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Just happened. Diagnostic is 1732783090 if anyone at Sonos wants to take  a look. Cheers

Anyone from Sonos going to let us know what's going on?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jacob_7.

Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the delayed response.

I reviewed the diagnostic report you submitted and I’m not seeing an error or indication that this is an issue coming from your Sonos system.

If you are not experiencing a problem playing from non-BBC stations or other music sources, then we need to ensure that you are using the latest available stream, always search for the station rather than using a "Sonos favorite" or "My Stations", this will ensure it is the most up to date stream from TuneIn.

This usually has something to do with how the connection is routed through the wider internet from outside of your router and/or ISP. It probably doesn't affect TuneIn in a web browser, as this is running through a web browser and is routed differently.

Basically, the BBC radio servers are some of the most in demand radio servers in the world. It might be due to the heavy load on the radio station servers and respective content delivery networks resulting in audio interruptions.

There are various factors that can affect to provide the necessary bandwidth to the servers and ultimately route through the internet. One of those is your geographic location and how your connection is patched to the wider internet from your ISP.

As a temporary workaround, you can try manually adding to Sonos the streaming link (URL) of the specific BBC stations you listen to. You can check a few websites that provide MP3 streaming links for the alternative BBC radio servers, you can then copy the link URL and manually add it to Sonos.

This is a suggestion from another thread where you can also find the steps:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/repeating-parts-of-bbc-radio-station-6849223

NOTE: The reliability of the alternative links can vary too, but it will allow you to have a temporary alternative while waiting for the regular stream to stabilize again.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge

I'm  experiencing similar issues with bbc sounds regularly looping back by up to a minute. It's  very  frustrating.

Anything i can do to try  and remedy. Done  the usual reset.

Badge

Hi, regarding the radio stream repeating itself. I get this but only when I use Tunein, it happens with all the stations not just the BBC. I regularly listen to Radio Caroline and Planet Rock it happens on there as well. It seems to do it for a period of time then goes quiet and comes back as if it has reset itself. This only lasts for about an hour before it starts again so annoying.

I saw that you could add Radio.net and radioplayer as a music service so tried that as you can get all the overseas stations (which were lost on Tunein last year) on there as well as the UK channels. I thought this would solve the problem but alas no this has its own problems in that periodically it just goes dead for 1 or 2 seconds then starts again. 

I have spent many a pleasant hour on the phone to the great tech guys 3 different ones and submitted about 15 diagnostics. No one seems to be able to put their finger on it. I have moved kit about hard wired some, had them all unwired, I have tried about 6 different configurations  

I wondered if it was because I was running S1 and so took the plunge and updated my system and am now fully S2. Sadly I have to report it makes absolutely no difference at all. 

So here I am £800 lighter but with a complete S2 system with the same fault on the radio. Tunein repeating itself. Radio.net and radioplayer having 1 or 2 second dropouts. I even tried listening to Planet Rock, Caroline and BBC 2 on Sonos Radio using the browse radio feature the last one on the list. Sadly that is driven by tunein so repeats itself as well. 

Please help so frustrating. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @SkynyrdOX, thanks for sharing those stations with us. Our engineers are aware of, and are investigating this - and I’ve passed that information on to them.

[Edit after discussion with engineers - So that we can continue looking in to this, would you mind sending a fresh diagnostic from the now S2 system, shortly after experiencing the audio repeat? Looks like the most recent diagnostic was from before the upgrade :)]