Answered

Radio Paradise lossless (FLAC) streams

Badge
Radio Paradise now has four lossless (FLAC) streams available, main, mellow, rock, and groovy. Is there a way to play these via Sonos?
icon

Best answer by ratty 26 August 2018, 14:51

Not yet. From the RP website:
There is not currently a FLAC stream URL you can use for VLC, Sonos, Winamp, etc.
View original

15 replies

Not yet. From the RP website:
There is not currently a FLAC stream URL you can use for VLC, Sonos, Winamp, etc.
Badge
Perhaps Sonos could add a Radio Paradise “music service.”
Only if RP did a lot of work to connect to the Sonos Music API.

It's wholly unnecessary for a straightforward radio station. To judge by the comments on the RP site, a FLAC URL is just a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

However, since Sonos only supports MP3, AAC or WMA stations at present, all this is a bit academic unless Sonos make some changes.

In the meantime, just use the standard service -- which typically defaults to AAC320 -- or add your own specific URL. I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and FLAC.
Badge
... all this is a bit academic unless Sonos make some changes.
That’s what I’m hoping for.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a Radio Paradise, AAC320 specific, URL set up. It sounds great! A small nitpick: It doesn’t show album covers like the default TuneIn Station.
It works, as of last week, via Alexa, on Sonos One (and no doubt on Beam). Ask Alexa to enable the Radio Paradise skill, then:

Alexa, tell Radio Paradise to set streaming quality to F. L. A. C.

This will stream fine on any Sonos device, but only the original Echo supports FLAC, not the Dot or newer Echos or Show. You can ask an Echo or Dot to play the FLAC stream to your Sonos, however.

Only the Main channel at present, but they’re working on a voice command to switch channels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have to wonder if the intermediary of Alexa is only passing the AAC320 stream to Sonos, rather than FLAC, regardless of the quality you're asking for. If Alexa knows that Sonos won't stream FLAC, then it won't likely give it a FLAC stream.

A few of the FLAC streams I've found in the wild are encoded at 24 or 32 bit resolution, which we all know Sonos doesn't support. Play the Radio Paradise FLAC stream in something like VLC and check the codec info from the Tools menu and see what it says... if it's not 16 bit resolution, then Alexa isn't playing FLAC through Sonos.
I'm sure there's lots that I don't know or understand,but Tidal and Deezer are both FLAC streaming services. RP's AAC320 is fine for me.
I have to wonder if the intermediary of Alexa is only passing the AAC320 stream to Sonos, rather than FLAC, regardless of the quality you're asking for. If Alexa knows that Sonos won't stream FLAC, then it won't likely give it a FLAC stream.

I don’t think so in the Radio Paradise case. Set it to FLAC, you get silence on the newer Echos, including Dot and Show, and the Roav Viva, but it will play fine on Sonos One and original Echo. Asking RP “what’s the stream quality?” returns FLAC.
After chicks' post I enabled the RP skill and added a wired ZP to a group including a One. Traffic on the wire was at around 1Mbps. It must be FLAC.

Of course if we still had access to a couple of the /status logs we could verify. (Sigh)

As an aside, I rapidly tired of having to tell Alexa to "ask Radio Paradise" and went back to the TuneIn-supplied AAC320.

As an aside, I rapidly tired of having to tell Alexa to "ask Radio Paradise" and went back to the TuneIn-supplied AAC320.

Thanks for that tip; I did not know one could do that. On my wired to Line In Echo Spot I now have track name visible unlike before. And I don't hear any different from the Tune In feed. Ask Radio Paradise was getting tiresome.
Is there anything users can say to Sonos to help RP get the other streams on to Sonos?
Is there anything users can say to Sonos to help RP get the other streams on to Sonos?

It's not Sonos' responsibility. Sonos has a published API that any streaming provider can use. Sonos will help with the testing to ensure it's ready for prime time, but the provider must write their code. Since RP is quite literally a Mom & Pop shop, I'm sure it won't be done overnight.
The following is from Bill at RP. They have a working FLAC streaming URL. However, the URL will not work with TUNEIN. This service is what SONOS uses to stream custom URLs. As it stands, SONOS has been asked by RP to work with them however, there has been no response from SONOS to make this happen.
See quote bellow from Bill from Radio Paradise.

"geeteaare wrote:
Good Morning
Tried on Sonus and not playing. Will this eventually work?
Working on VLC on PC. Sounds very good.
Regards
Marc

Apparently, Sonos does not support FLAC streaming at this point. Actually, I suspect that it's TuneIn that's the problem. Custom station URLs are played via TuneIn, not directly by the Sonos player.

I have contacted Sonos at least a half-dozen times about partnering with us to add RP as one of the available music services. That would bypass the TuneIn issue, and would let us add our alternate channels and the skip function also. Frustratingly, they've never even bothered to respond.

Feel free to pass the above quote along to Sonos tech support. You won't be the first, but maybe someday they'll be willing to work with us."
Badge
It works, as of last week, via Alexa, on Sonos One (and no doubt on Beam). Ask Alexa to enable the Radio Paradise skill, then:

Alexa, tell Radio Paradise to set streaming quality to F. L. A. C.

This will stream fine on any Sonos device, but only the original Echo supports FLAC, not the Dot or newer Echos or Show. You can ask an Echo or Dot to play the FLAC stream to your Sonos, however.

Only the Main channel at present, but they’re working on a voice command to switch channels.

WOW! Thank you. Huge difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have contacted Sonos at least a half-dozen times about partnering with us to add RP as one of the available music services.

The just need to visit musicpartners.sonos.com, create an account and login. Sonos don't need to be involved at all until the the code is ready and the music service is ready to go live.

Although if they require an unsupported codec type then I guess it is all moot.