Radio metadata not correct

  • 23 March 2020
  • 7 replies
  • 102 views

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi. Am I the only person having this issue?

I’ve contacted support in the past with no resolution

When I listen to radio, either on Tune-In or Radioplayer, everything is fine at first. Program is displayed, track playing is, usually, displayed. Come back to the display some hours later and the track info is correct but the Program title is as it was when play began. For example on Radio  2 at 5pm Sunday it may tell me I’m listening to Steve Wright Sunday Love Songs which finished at 11am. Currently listening to Scala Radio and the display says Charles Nove is on. Thing is, his program finished at 10am. If I stop and start the station nothing changes. If I go off and play something else and then return to this station all will be well again until the next Program change.

 

anyone else experience this?


7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@mistyoptic  Thank you for the follow up and it is not clear who marked my post to you as best answer. I have adjusted that and will send you a direct message for next steps to take based on your supplied diagnostic report.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@John G why is this showing as “answered” when I responded to your request for information and diagnostic?

 

i have done some more experimenting and found that the issue is more with Radioplayer. I had pretty much stopped using TuneIn because of problems it seemed to cause with BBC programs but, when TuneIn actually shows program information (doesn’t seem to for all stations) it does app better than Radioplayer at giving the program information accurately as the day progresses 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

just now, I’ve opened the desktop controller and, despite the PC not even being on when I started listening, it still has the wrong information. Must be in the system and not in the controller?

Yes, all the information is stored in the players, not the controller. The controller stores almost nothing. Track updates are delivered by UPnP events from the players to the controllers, initially on controller startup then every time the track changes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Ken. It’s nice to know it isn’t only me but odd that I’m told it’s not been reported in the past. I know that you are much more active here than I am yet seemed unaware of the issue too?
 

just now, I’ve opened the desktop controller and, despite the PC not even being on when I started listening, it still has the wrong information. Must be in the system and not in the controller?

 

new diagnostic 901926473

I am able to confirm this is an issue on my Sonos controller devices too. Closing and opening the ‘now playing’ screen, or stopping and starting the music from that same screen. does not change the labels on screen either. 

One workaround, until it’s perhaps fixed, is to start the radio station again from the chosen radio service in the Sonos App ’Browse’ tab.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@John G thanks for your response. New diagnostic is 567324577. I use a variety of controllers, iOS devices, CR200 and windows PC. Behaviour has been the same on all of them. I first raised this during **** Beta. The Beta team were unable to answer it and referred me to Support who also could not find a solution. That was January 2019. ISP is VirginMedia

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@mistyoptic Thank you for bringing your concern to the Sonos Community. What you are describing seems to specific to your controller running the Sonos app and how it may or may not be refreshing the metadata. Have you seen this happen from another device running the Sonos app?

I do not see an updated diagnostic report from your Sonos system. I would ask that take these steps and track to see if the issue continues:

  1. Submit and reply with a new diagnostic report and report number here.
  2. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  3. As they power back on then power your Sonos products off/on for 15 seconds with no lights.
  4. As they power back on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

When you have everything re-booted and connected then test and track the playback and the response of the metadata from multiple devices. You can then follow up here with the testing results and a second diagnostic report and report number if you see it continue.

Lastly, let’s see if any users in the Community are running into this issue as well and have them chime in.

Reply