Answered

Qobuz MQA Supported when is Tidal coming?

• 30 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi All, I read Qobuz WQA is now supported on S2. Any news on when Tidal MQA/Master is due. I have just bought into the Sonos system from Bluesound but would love to get my Lossless back

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 October 2021, 15:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Qobuz doesn’t support MQA. But you can play up to 24-bit/48 kHz Hi-Res FLAC from Qobuz on the S2 app.

Sonos hasn’t announced any plans for TIDAL MQA support, but Sonos currently supports lossless FLAC 16-bit/44.1 kHz from a TIDAL HiFi subscription.

Hi All, I read Qobuz WQA is now supported on S2. Any news on when Tidal MQA/Master is due. I have just bought into the Sonos system from Bluesound but would love to get my Lossless back

Lossless is a far different from MQA.  The vast majority of music services now have lossless CD quality streams.  Furthermore. MQA and other “high resolution” audio formats are dubious in their superiority to CD, due to the fact higher resolutions only extend the ability to record sounds above the threshold of human hearing.   Your dog may hear the difference, but so far no human being has been able to distinguish “High Resolution” audio from CD resolution audio in a statistically significant manner when they are mixed from the same master.  

Badge +1

The answer is computer says no, MQA is a proprietary format that is been debated as per its supposed benefits. Meaning Sonos doesn't have the internal hardware to apply the unfolding of the Master files, even if that possible to do partially in software the result would be likely subpar in comparison to the Hi-Fi (CD) quality of Tidal, I do not believe in MQA as a format but I am not letting that bias influence my answer. Even at home we have two accounts one of Amazon music HD and another tidal and Tidal has the total advantage in subjective sound quality. Tidal is the only service I seen that shows in what quality is streaming to the Sonos system and this is always through Hi-FI setting rather than masters or compressed.