Qobuz goes into receivership

• 12 November 2015
  • 7 replies

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/hd-streaming-service-qobuz-falls-receivership/

7 replies

I am not surprised, I don't think that anyone will pay a premium continuously for supposed better sound quality when it isn't to be audibly heard.

Generally speaking music streaming services are a commodity that need large scales - users as well as music libraries. There are too many of them in the market just now and many must fail.

Is there any viable competition for Netflix on the video side?
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I would imagine that, eventually, they'll (nearly) all disappear, with (almost) only the OS platform's music services, ie. Apple's, Google's & Microsoft's, plus Spotify left standing. And then one of those three OS platforms, probably Microsoft because they'll be desperate enough to pay up, eventually acquiring Spotify.

We shall see!
I might be on my own with this -I can hear the difference, and would pay an ongoing premium. Currently I use Deezer Elite which I really enjoy. But realistically a lot of companies are likely to 'merge' which is not always good for consumers. I just didn't like the Qobuz interface and their catalogue was missing a lot of the stuff I like. If there were no FLAC streamers left, I'd consider giving up streaming altogether and find another way to obtain music. There might not be room for three small FLAC services, but at least one should survive or perhaps one of the big guys would add FLAC and a premium tier. Someone will want my money. We'll see.
Badge +3
The problem is that these streaming organisations still haven’t figured out that people are not prepared to pay such high subscriptions for incomplete catalogues. Same with downloads – buying an album and ripping it yourself is always going to be cheaper.
Just been looking at my favourite record label and for a SACD/CD they want £13 but for the same album download in similar quality as the SACD/CD they are asking a whopping £18!!
Now why would any sane person choose the download over the SACD/CD???
Bye Bye Qobuz.
In my experience Qobuz was quirky, had major holes in its catalogue and wasn't all that reliable. I wasn't remotely interested in the 'hi-res' downloads, but evidently that icing wasn't sufficient to save the cake.
You don't have to pay that sort of money for downloads, I bought Bjork's last album in 24-bit from 7digital for 7.99 in the week of its release, only a pound more than the 16-bit version (for the record, I went for the 24-bit just in case the mastering was different).
Rdio bites the dust as well, Pandora will pick up the pieces.