Answered

Problems with Apple Music via SONOS Controller

• 12 April 2016
  • 7 replies

Hi, This is my first post ....... so, If it's a dumb question.... Please be gentle :$

I have recently purchased a couple of Sonos soundbars and a few Sonos 1's for the house.
I have now subscribed to Apple Music and installed it into Sonos Controller on my iPad.
The problem I'm having is that if I just go to Apple Music directly I can see everything they have to offer.
However, If I access it through my Sonos Controller and then select any of the options for music I just
get the same message "no music". I have made sure that my controller app is at the latest version.

Anyone else had this issue and if so, do you know a solution?
If I'm being a complete idiot, please feel free to say so but, at the same time please provide said idiot with an answer! :$

Much appreciated!:D
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 April 2016, 15:55

Scowie,

I subscribe to Apple Music too... Here is how it looks within the Sonos Controller App (see screenshot). This is the iPad version. Which device are you using as your controller and does the available service look similar to the image below?

If not, perhaps consider removing the service from the Controller app adding it in again.

Ken Griffiths
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Scowie,

I subscribe to Apple Music too... Here is how it looks within the Sonos Controller App (see screenshot). This is the iPad version. Which device are you using as your controller and does the available service look similar to the image below?

If not, perhaps consider removing the service from the Controller app adding it in again.

Ken Griffiths
Thanks Ken,

Yes it's the iPad App I'm using and it looks exactly like your pic. However, it's when I select one of the options such as "For You" or "my music" or "New" it just comes up with the "no music" line. I can't find a way of just browsing the apple collection like you can by going directly to it rather than through SONOS. I'll try deleting and re-installing the App when I get home tonight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're unable to get those fields to load when you're back home feel free to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number here. We'll take a look for you.
Thanks Kevin / Ryan S,

Reloaded the SONOS controller and I can now get the listings in everything except the "My Music" section. I'm guessing that is probably because I've not set up my own playlists yet.

Cheers, Steve
Steve,

The 'My Music' section is made up of several things.

1. Songs/Albums you have purchased previously from Apple (iTunes Store).

2. Songs/Albums DRM free you have purchased from elsewhere stored on your PC/Mac iTunes local library and have then uploaded or 'matched' to iTunes Music on the Apple servers. You can only do this if you have subscribed to 'iTunes Match'.. I think it's about £23.99 annual subscription

3. Songs/Albums you have purchased from elsewhere on your PC/MAC iTunes library and have uploaded or matched to iTunes Music Cloud, if you have subscribed to Apple Music £9.99 per month single membership or £14.99 family membership... NOT DRM FREE in most cases.

** the main difference between 2 and 3 above, is mainly around the files being DRM free (or not).

4. Songs/Albums you have added to your AppleID library on your PC/Mac/iPod/iPhone/iPad (Cloud based or downloaded for playing offline) which is music you have 'leased' (rented and not purchased) from 'Apple Music' as part of the £9.99 etc. per month subscription to Apple Music. (NOT DRM FREE)
... Theses tracks etc are normally added to your library from within the Apple Music app on your iPad for example, using the ellipsis (...) menu located near to each track/album.

These 4 things above, also include some (but not all) your playlists by the way... I won't bore you entirely as to why some playlists might not be available, other than to say it's best to build playlists out of cloud based tracks rather than any just stored on a local PC or iDevice. (Obviously if some tracks in a playlist are just stored ONLY on your local PC and that PC is switched off .. You won't see that playlist at all).

Hope that helps..

Ken Griffiths
Good morning all. I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping someone can still help. I have the Play5 and signed up for Apple Music's 3 month free trial. I'm using my iPad and have plenty of music on it already. I tried the steps above to get my music to show, but it won't come up. I can, however play the music on my iPad within Sonos if I select the 'on this ipad' option. I even went into the settings and told it to 'update music index now' and waited, but still nothing shows in the 'my music' portion of the Apple Music service that I added to the Sonos app.

Is this by design, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

I have the same issue when playing music from apple music. It constantly sends an error that can't connect to apple music or lost connection. I have been trying to resolve this issue for more than a year now following all the suggested solutions posted here in the forums with no luck. Here is another diagnostic number... 8015252