Problems using Siri with Beam

• 19 July 2018
  • 9 replies

(Pssst Sonos - you need to create a section called “Voice contorl -> Apple Siri and Sonos”)

I’ve added my Sonos to Home app.

If I tell Siri to play msuic in the “bedroom”, Siri answers “I could not play it in the bedroom”, but when I start the music app on my ipad, I can see that airplay is set to “bedroom” (the Sonos speaker), but it is not playing ... I have to press “play” myself.

Any idea how to fix this?

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Did you ensure you named your rooms within the 'Home' app the same names as you have them set up on Sonos? It won't do this automatically...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Technically, you can't control Sonos through Siri directly. You're controlling your phone, which is then using airplay to send audio to Sonos. I think a section implying you can control Sonos with Siri could be confusing. However, an airplay section (which would include Siri) makes sense.

As far as the issue, are you saying that the audio you requested is displayed as selected, just not playing? You may want to repeat the issue and submit a diagnostic afterwards. If there's an issue where Sonos is getting the command and not able to complete it for some reason, the diagnostic would be able to help a lot.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
Did you ensure you named your rooms within the 'Home' app the same names as you have them set up on Sonos? It won't do this automatically...

Yeah they are both just "Bedroom" ... and since iPhone actually sets airplay to "Bedroom" and just not plays I presume the naming is working.
Technically, you can't control Sonos through Siri directly. You're controlling your phone, which is then using airplay to send audio to Sonos. I think a section implying you can control Sonos with Siri could be confusing. However, an airplay section (which would include Siri) makes sense.

As far as the issue, are you saying that the audio you requested is displayed as selected, just not playing? You may want to repeat the issue and submit a diagnostic afterwards. If there's an issue where Sonos is getting the command and not able to complete it for some reason, the diagnostic would be able to help a lot.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Yeah, when i tell my iPhone "Play music in Bedroom", Siri replies "I could not play it in the bedroom" - and nothing is playing. But if I open the music app on my iPhone, I can now see that airplay is correctly set to Bedroom, but I have to press play manually. I will try to file a "bug" with Sonos.

Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, MNojo. If your phone is able to AirPlay to Sonos manually, but Siri is unable to actually trigger the AirPlay function you might find your solution on the Apple side of things. They have a bit more intimate knowledge on how Siri interacts with AirPlay on your phone and may be able to give some insight why Siri voice commands aren't working.
I kept having this problem and finally sorted it out. When adding the sonos setup (in my case Beam plus 2 One’s in surround) to Apple Home, you have to assign the speaker to the exact room assigned in the sonos app AND name the speaker in the Home App the exact room name.
I kept having this problem and finally sorted it out. When adding the sonos setup (in my case Beam plus 2 One’s in surround) to Apple Home, you have to assign the speaker to the exact room assigned in the sonos app AND name the speaker in the Home App the exact room name.

Well the Sonos room is called "Bedroom" and the speaker in Home App is called "Bedroom" and is placed in the room "Bedroom".
Badge
I’m getting “I can’t do that in that App” from Siri when I try simple music commands. I have all rooms & devices setup the same in Sonos and HomeKit. Is there perhaps a list of commands Siri can send to Sonos that are here somewhere? I’m fairly certain such a list is used by ppl controlling Sonos using Alexa.
I have a similar issues! I can say play music in the kitchen and instead of playing Apple Music from my kitchen Sonos (yes I have beam in HomeKit under the same room and name) it streams from my iPhone to the beam instead of Apple Music from Sonos? Any ideas?