Answered

problem with Western digital MyBookLive

• 7 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Re this message from WD-

Western Digital has an important announcement for registered My Book Live or My Book Live Duo customers.

Immediately disconnect your My Book Live device from the Internet to protect your data from ongoing attacks. You can disconnect the device and continue to access your data locally by following these instructions on our Knowledge Base.

Some My Book Live devices connected to the Internet are being compromised by attackers and in some cases, the attackers have triggered a factory reset that appears to erase all data on the device.

This happened to me, erased my music collection. So wondering:

1. is it ok to directly connect wd mybooklive to sonos bridge (yes i know old device etc.). Tried this and sonos seems to find it. But any security implications re sonos and my PC etc?
  2. can I use USB with BT router instead and again is this secure?

Thank you anyone?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 July 2021, 01:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

No, both the My Book Live and the Sonos BRIDGE require a router to operate.

Not sure I understand what you’re asking with 2). Do you mean can you store your music on a USB drive that you’ve plugged in to the BT router? Depends on the BT router, you may want to try. Not all routers treat USB devices as NAS drives, but some do. You may want to ask BT if they do, or check the manual for that particular router.