Question

Problem with playback from turntable

• 9 December 2019
  • 5 replies

I have 14 sonos speakers throughout my house and they all work perfect for streaming music or watching tv but when I play my turntable through it it cuts out constantly.  Here is my set up.  I have the entire house hardwired to a data rack in my basement.  There is a sonos connect plugged directly into the Netgear 24 port switch in the rack and sitting in the rack net to the router and on the switch.  That is one of the only components plugged into the switch.  I have two speakers on the upper floor hardwired to the switch with backbone cables to the rack.  I have the turntable in my room connected to another connect and I labeled it record player for the input.  I then broadcast the “record player” signal to the rooms I want to hear the music.  It doesn’t matter if it is the speakers in that room or the other rooms I group to it but it constantly cuts out.  As I stated in the beginning, there are zero issues with any other audio throughout the system.  Both connects as well as all my speakers are up to date with the software updates.  I am wondering if there is something I am missing. 

5 replies

Try moving the Connect as far away as possible from the router, sounds like you will have enough network cables 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Try setting ‘Audio Compression’ to ‘Compressed’.

There is very little buffering (0.75ms) when using Uncompressed, making it very susceptible to dropouts.

I will move it to another room and see if that helps.  I am reading other questions and it seems that might be a solution.  I am just wondering why it only causes issues with the turntable and not the streaming.  I can link all of the speakers together and play Pandora with no issues but I can’t link a single speaker to the turntable without signal issues.  My entire house is automated so WiFi interference might be hard to get around.  

The bandwidth used by a line in source is usually substantially larger than a streaming service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I will move it to another room and see if that helps.  I am reading other questions and it seems that might be a solution.  I am just wondering why it only causes issues with the turntable and not the streaming.  I can link all of the speakers together and play Pandora with no issues but I can’t link a single speaker to the turntable without signal issues.  My entire house is automated so WiFi interference might be hard to get around.  

The difference is simply to do with the minimal buffering used by default (‘Uncompressed’) on Line-In sources, and to some extent the high bandwidth demands of transmitting uncompressed WAV encoded audio. Regular streaming can use deeper buffers, and is lower bandwidth.

Read the section on compression at:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080?language=en_US