Answered

Port Max Songs

• 11 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge

The Connect had a maximum of 65,000 songs that would be indexed.  This limit was due to the 64k memory in the Connect.

What is the limit on the new PORT which replaces the Connect?

(a) maximum number of songs indexed

(b) internal memory on the PORT

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 November 2019, 23:50

It is not a Connect limit but a Sonos system limit. Until Sonos changes something you are limited to 65K, or less if you have a lot of embedded info, tracks.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It is not a Connect limit but a Sonos system limit. Until Sonos changes something you are limited to 65K, or less if you have a lot of embedded info, tracks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Stanley_4 is correct. The limit is mostly due to the way that the music library index is saved. It’s a metadata file stored on all players, replicated on all players in the system, so the code limits the music index to what amounts to about 65k tracks based on the average metadata use per song. 

Port has much more memory than the original Connect design, but the index code doesn’t change per player, and the limit remains intact in case a lower memory player were ever added to the system.

Badge

Thanks for the replies from both Stanley_4 and Ryan S.  My 2 cents and thoughts.

A Sonos system limit is basically how they have programmed/coded the music library indexing and use of memory to hold the music index.  So yes that is correct but the amount of memory in a device is also a factor on how they approach this function. Basically I am agreeing with Stanley_4 as being correct.

For the new Port product to keep the same music library limit considering there is more memory is a poor judgement on the part of Sonos.  Many others have commented on this through out the years, yet here we are with a new product and the same old limit, Sonos ignoring a valid user issue.  Yes as Ryan S states it was kept to maintain compatibility with older units.  That is a poor excuse and decision from Sonos to not expand the new product.  It would NOT be difficult for the indexing system and programming to recognize the type of devices on the Sonos network, Connect, Connect Amp, Port, etc and adjust the maximum number of songs indexed. If no older products found index a new larger limit of songs. If an older product was discovered in the network limit to the lower current limit with a message to the user of the reason.

I have 2 homes and was considering upgrading to the Port for both homes.  Now I see no reason.

That is a poor excuse and decision from Sonos to not expand the new product.

Maybe, but making it work would cost effort that, apparently, Sonos are not prepared to undertake due to the extremely small number of people who still stream music locally.

Personally, I’d prefer the system to have a master index device, which the others interrogate, thereby putting all the load on the more capable kit and removing the load (and index space) from the older kit - but it’s not going to happen.

One can certainly point to deficiencies in scalability of the original design, but then it’s always easy to point the finger at a fifteen+ year old design in retrospect.

Personally, I’d prefer the system to have a master index device, which the others interrogate, thereby putting all the load on the more capable kit and removing the load (and index space) from the older kit - but it’s not going to happen.

Plex

Plex

As you’ll be aware, the Sonos version is - to say the least - limited...

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos can be expected to do stuff that makes them money and avoid stuff that doesn’t so expecting them to pour a lot into a redesign and then maintaining two versions of the software isn’t likely given the few folks hitting the limit.