podcast skips to next episode

When I play a podcast on my Play:1 and Play:3 using my iphone as the controller, it skips to the next podcast after about 10-15 minutes. Both Sonos and iphone are updated with latest software. I didn't used to have this problem.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, nmartensen. Can you please try turning off the auto-lockscreen functionality? If this does not help, then this is likely due to WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any changes, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. Many thanks in advance.
HI Edward, Thanks for your response. Yes, it was the auto-lockscreen that was the culprit. Any ideas why that started happening with the latest Sonos update? It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to go back to the days of not having to switch out the lockscreen when I want to listen to a podcast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, nmartensen. Not a problem, thanks for getting back to me as well. I appreciate your understanding in this issue, as it is not a planned "functionality" and really, this should not be necessary. The issue came about with the introduction of Airplay 2 due to some changes on Apple's end. In essence, what it has meant is that the lockscreen engaging interrupts the connection between the internal memory and the home network. I can absolutely understand that you would like to have the lockscreen engaged when listening to what you'd like to!
Luckily, we are working with Apple to rectify the issue, though I couldn't say when exactly this will be resolved. It is a top priority for us at the moment. Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
My iPhone does not have the option to turn off the autolockscreen - it only allows up to 5 minutes of delay. Plus, by doing this, it means that the phone remains on for a long time when idle. AND, I just found a podcast was shutting off even with the phone on. The problem appears to be the same as described in another feed about the bitrate provided by the iPhone with a low-information format like a podcast. I hope you guys sort it; it's pretty frustrating, though for now I think I can make it work by streaming from my laptop instead.
Badge
This is happening to me too, but after only around 2 minutes of the beginning of each podcast. I started the Podcasts from my iPhone and then grouped to three of my four rooms.

I have submitted a diagnostic report - 203282073
Hi there, My iPhone only allows up to five minutes on autolock. And it is inconvenient to have long auto lock intervals as well. Please is there a fix coming for this?
In my humble experience, the tone of customer support reps usually mirrors the treatment they receive from the customer.
So jgatie, "tone" in a typed message.. to a company.. .about a product purchased from them that is deficient in basic and popular functionality... and they have no fix for it... right, I get it, it's my tone ... (well, that time there was "tone").

In fact Sonos did reply to me a couple months ago off line, and still had no fix. I have had reasonable luck streaming from a laptop or directly from a service. Not 100%, but better.
So jgatie, "tone" in a typed message.. to a company.. .about a product purchased from them that is deficient in basic and popular functionality... and they have no fix for it... right, I get it, it's my tone ... (well, that time there was "tone").

In fact Sonos did reply to me a couple months ago off line, and still had no fix. I have had reasonable luck streaming from a laptop or directly from a service. Not 100%, but better.

My reply was to a rather rude post which has since been deleted. I assure you it had nothing to do with your months old posts.

My reply was to a rather rude post which has since been deleted. I assure you it had nothing to do with your months old posts.

Eh, we're all wound up tight these days. I was self-conscious because I felt that technical problems streaming podcasts were causing me disproportionate levels of emotional angst 🙂 Be great if Sonos would provide a fix (my understanding is that the bitrate is too low when podcasts are downloaded or streamed (?) from the apple podcast app).
created a topic