Podcast playback unreliable - Fix?

• 27 April 2018
  • 7 replies

Streaming apple podcasts thru Sonos is incredibly unreliable. As podcasts are playing they randomly stop/drop out forcing me to go to my phone, restart and find where it dropped out. Also some podcasts, even when they're downloaded on iPhone X, don't let me adjust the time, ability to rewind/forward. Frustrating. Is there a fix to these issues?

7 replies

I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it. There would likely be some information in it that would help Sonos identify the issue, and perhaps help you resolve it, if possible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Negative I appreciate, but don’t bother with a diagnosis submission. There are countless reports of this problem and the same stock Sonos responses. Nothing changes. It’s a Sonos problem. Fix it!
If they can't reproduce the issue, based on lack of data from you and others, then it's unlikely that they'll be able to resolve the issue. But it's entirely up to you.

Just as a note, this is a 7 month old thread. My guess is that the OP did as suggested, and based on the data in the diagnostic, got a resolution to his problem. The challenge for Sonos is that there are a multitude of potential issues that will show up as a single symptom, without looking at the data that someone provides, they can go through a litany of potential solutions, but if they have data to look at, they can pinpoint the problem, and provide an answer with much more accuracy, even if it's a "yea, we're aware of the issue and are working on it" answer.
If they can't reproduce the issue, based on lack of data from you and others, then it's unlikely that they'll be able to resolve the issue. But it's entirely up to you.

Just as a note, this is a 7 month old thread. My guess is that the OP did as suggested, and based on the data in the diagnostic, got a resolution to his problem. The challenge for Sonos is that there are a multitude of potential issues that will show up as a single symptom, without looking at the data that someone provides, they can go through a litany of potential solutions, but if they have data to look at, they can pinpoint the problem, and provide an answer with much more accuracy, even if it's a "yea, we're aware of the issue and are working on it" answer.

This is an astoundingly common issue that they've refused to address for years, despite knowing the cause, and your reply is unnecessarily condescending. I've seen this pop up on many threads, I've sent my own diagnostics and never gotten a fix, as have, I'm sure, hundreds of others.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/podcasts-play-from-this-phone-constantly-cut-out-random-spots-6805263

Basically, the devices only have a 10ms (!!!!!!) buffer, so the answer is "it will never work properly no matter how good your hardware is".

The solution seems to be that they're completely deprecating podcast playback for any devices that don't support AirPlay2. Fun.
I'm certainly sorry that my explanation of the situation caused you such anger.

I'm equally sorry to suggest that you may want to read this thread, which won't alleviate any of your ire:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
I have experienced this exact frustrating, hair-pulling issue for years. After reading countless posts to solve the issue and submitting my own requests for much needed clarity and assistance, I have found the Sonos reps have never once sufficiently helped anyone with this matter. They will ask the same questions, request the same diagnostic report, and the results will still be the same -- no solution, only arrogant customer service.

No matter the iOS upgrade.
No matter the proximity to the router.
No matter interference or zero interference.
No matter the lock screen activated/disabled.
No matter the podcast downloaded/steaming.
No matter the diagnostics sent the reps again, and again, and ...

Go ahead and ask for assistance with your iOS podcast issue; the rep will run you through all of the above. It still won't help. Or, they will offer a link to a FAQ/troubleshooting page; there you will find additional, pointless information that will not be of any help, for it addresses Android, not iOS.

Once they've gone through the motions, the rep will give you a shoulder-shrug response, leaving you to blame without any further assistance. This is when we see reps speaking at customers -- rather than with customers -- with a prideful, condescending, passive-aggressive tone, implying that the customer is of lower intelligence, and the Sonos system the customer saved for and paid for is well beneath the customer's comprehension level. Which, in turn, only paints a picture of the Sonos reps as thiose junior high kids who can't solve a problem, become overwhelmed by ego, and resort to screaming, "Whatever! I know I'm right! My mom told me!" before stomping away in a huff.

They do not have a solution.
They do not seek out a solution.
There is no solution to this insufferable flaw.

With podcasts continuing to explode in popularity, Sonos only continues to fall further and further behind. Add to that the ill-equiped help from Sonos reps with their haughty tone, and it's clear to see why this company's reputation is plummeting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@beesneeze Hi there, what kind of issues are you having with podcast playback? If you are having audio interruptions, and your podcasts are stored on your iOS device, this is due to non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network. Due to this issue, playback of tracks stored on iOS devices will no longer be available. There are many other ways to play your music and podcasts on Sonos though. You can download the podcasts to a computer, then set up a music share. You can also store your music and podcasts on a NAS drive. Airplay is another alternative. All of these options make your library accessible on all controllers at all times. Another option is to upload your library to a free Google Play account. This type of playback is not affected by Airplay devices.

If you are having audio playback issues with podcasts not stored on your iOS device, or streamed from an online service, then there is something else going on. Audio cut outs are caused when the streaming audio is too slow, or is interrupted in some way. This is most often due to wireless interference causing the communication between your network and speakers to be unstable, or by congestion on your local network. This can be caused by many things. This troubleshooting guide covers steps to address most causes of audio interruptions. Sonos staff can look at diagnostic logs from your system to see what is happening. If you'd like, provide a case number and I'll look into your previous cases to see how they could be improved. You can also submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the number and I'll look into it.