Podcast control and dropout issues after last Sonos update.


Hello: I have been having issues playing back downloaded podcasts on my iPhone 5S that seem to have started when I downloaded the last Sonos app update. The issues are:

1) Podcast playback stops frequently. Sonos app indicates that communication with iPhone was lost.
2) When looking at my podcasts under "on this iPhone", Sonos is seeing old podcasts that have been deleted. After a while they eventually disappear. This issue was not happening before the last update.
3) Intermittently, some downloaded podcasts do not have the white dot to control the position of playback in the podcast. The line is grey and there is an indication of the time but there is no way to position the playback point.

Some background: I have had these two Play 5's for years. Up until recently (I believe it was with the last Sonos app update) I had no issues playing back podcasts that had been downloaded to this iPhone. When looking at "on this iPhone" the podcasts listed were only the podcasts that I had downloaded. There was rarely ever any playback issues. Now I cant get through a 30 minute podcast without it stopping multiple times. I tried a brand new iPhone 7 with the latest Sonos app and it did the same thing. These iPhones have no other issues with other apps and then network so it's not the iPhone. Both iPhones have latest iOS. The control dot disappearing was a known issue a while back and that issue resolved with a past update, but now the issue has returned intermittently. I have done all the obvious things like restart of router, PLAY 5's, iPhone, etc. There seems to be no playback issues at all with internet radio/etc, its only problematic with the playback of downloaded podcasts on the iPhone. I'm thinking this has something to do with the way the latest Sonos app update is interpreting the downloaded podcast library on the iPhone.

Diagnostic submitted: 1884917550

Sonos Controller for iPhone: Version 9.0, build 44255050
Two Sonos Play 5: Version 9.0 (build 44254230)

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Dwayne. Thanks for posting and sharing your diagnostic information. Out of curiosity, do you happen to have any other devices in your home that use AirPlay? I ask because the team is currently tracking a problem where if there are any other AirPlay devices on the local network (AppleTV, Sky Q Cable Boxes, AirPort Expresses, other AirPlay destinations), content streamed directly from "on this iPhone" will drop out and stop.

The best way to test this would be to turn off AirPlay and see if the problems persist. Let me know if this sounds familiar. Thanks!
I turned off Airplay on both my Apple TV boxes, and it now works great! Thanks, Keith!
Hi Keith, I do have an Onkyo A/V receiver that has Airplay. There is no way to disable the Airplay on its own so I completely disabled the wireless and Bluetooth on the receiver. I can report that there was some improvement in the dropouts, however they didn't disappear completely. Now instead of dropping out ~10 times for a 30 minute podcast, it drops out once or twice. So, obviously there is an improvement but not a complete resolution. I'm not sure the Airplay issue explains my issues 2&3 above however but perhaps these are not related. As an aside, I do have an ASUS RT-AC87U router and I have tried disabling the "Airtime Fairness" option as per other technical posts and this had no effect. This is also not the "lock screen" issue because I tried disabling lock screen and it had no effect either. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Dwayne,

We released version 9.1 today which should help out with issues streaming from iOS devices. Please update your system and test things out. You can read more here.
Hello:

I updated to the latest controller software and rebooted all devices and I am still having most of the same issues as my original post. I have confirmed the following issues still exist:

1) Podcast playback stops frequently. Sometimes, Sonos app indicates that communication with iPhone was lost.
2) Intermittently, some downloaded podcasts do not have the white dot to control the position of playback in the podcast. The line is grey and there is an indication of the time but there is no way to position the playback point. This is particularly problematic when the playback stops because you are forced to start the podcast at the very beginning.

So far it seems the following issue has not reoccurred yet:
3) When looking at my podcasts under "on this iPhone", Sonos is seeing old podcasts that have been deleted. After a while they eventually disappear. This issue was not happening before the last update.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Diagnostic submitted: 497342065

Sonos Controller for iPhone: Version 9.1, build 45156150
Two Sonos Play 5: Version 9.1 (build 45156150)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Dwayne wrote:

Hello:

I updated to the latest controller software and rebooted all devices and I am still having most of the same issues as my original post. I have confirmed the following issues still exist:

1) Podcast playback stops frequently. Sometimes, Sonos app indicates that communication with iPhone was lost.
2) Intermittently, some downloaded podcasts do not have the white dot to control the position of playback in the podcast. The line is grey and there is an indication of the time but there is no way to position the playback point. This is particularly problematic when the playback stops because you are forced to start the podcast at the very beginning.

So far it seems the following issue has not reoccurred yet:
3) When looking at my podcasts under "on this iPhone", Sonos is seeing old podcasts that have been deleted. After a while they eventually disappear. This issue was not happening before the last update.

Thanks,
Dwayne

Diagnostic submitted: 497342065

Sonos Controller for iPhone: Version 9.1, build 45156150
Two Sonos Play 5: Version 9.1 (build 45156150)



Hi Dwayne,

There's wireless interference showing up, leading to your speakers losing connection occasionally. This will likely lead to audio cut outs as you've described. You have a guest network running on the same wireless channel as your main network. This is likely the source of the interference. Please try changing your main wireless network to channel 1, which is less crowded. Let me know if that helps or not.
Jeff S wrote:


Hi Dwayne,

There's wireless interference showing up, leading to your speakers losing connection occasionally. This will likely lead to audio cut outs as you've described. You have a guest network running on the same wireless channel as your main network. This is likely the source of the interference. Please try changing your main wireless network to channel 1, which is less crowded. Let me know if that helps or not.




Hi Jeff:

Guest network's always run on the same control channel as the main network. Its just a separate SSID for the same channel with different network rules and password. There is no way to separate my guest network from the main network on a different control channel. Nobody was connected to my guest network when I was having the issues. That being said, I have disabled my guest network for now but I doubt it will help because I tried this before and had the same issues.

I also have a wifi scanner and although my area is fairly wifi crowded, during testing I have seen that my router is very good at selecting the proper control channel to minimize or eliminate coexistence. Currently for example it is the only device on control channel 3 with 76 other visible SSID's.

Dwayne
Hello:

This morning, after disabling my guest network completely, I tried to stream a podcast and it stopped playback twice in the first 5 minutes. So as expected, the guest network is not the issue. I also did a wifi scan at the time and my router was the only SSID on channel 2. There is clearly something else going on. As I mentioned before, this wasn't happening at all a few months ago before the last Sonos app update.

I have submitted another diagnostic this morning for reference: 491893451

Thanks, Dwayne

PS: I am going to try disabling Airplay on my A/V receiver again and see if there is any improvement.
I tried disabling the wifi completely on my Onkyo A/V receiver that has Airplay and I streamed two podcasts this morning without any issue. The issue improved significantly the last time I disabled the A/V wireless as well. So clearly this seems to be an issue with having my A/V receiver wifi enabled. There is no way to keep the wifi enabled and disable Airplay separately on my receiver. Obviously, this is a work around but it certainly isn't a fix. As mentioned before, I had no issues with this exact setup (including the A/V receiver) before the Sonos 9.0 app update.

Thanks, Dwayne
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Podcasts drop out frequently and either start from the beginning or move to the next in the queue. Unacceptable IMO. Have a few Airport Expresses around, impractical to expect me to disconnect them if that’s what’s being suggested. Happens occasionally when listening to other media also. A music track with just stop and immediately jump to another.
More annoying with podcast I think than listening to music because if this happens with a podcast I am trying to follow a narrative so have to estimate where it
dropped out and return to the same point to carry on listening.
Come on Sonos, sort this out.
As an aside if I listen from my iPad streaming to Airport Expresses it doesn’t happen.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Seated in my lounge a few moments ago listening to a podcast when, guess what, it just stopped towards the end and jumped back to the beginning. Annoying to say the least as I had then to move to where I thought I was in the podcast before it stopped!
Fix?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you ever contact Sonos support with your issue or just the user to user community forum posts?

If just the forum maybe you'd like to submit a diagnostic and contact the Sonos support folks directly? The twitter or facebook support is open 24x7 or phones vary by locations, see the contact page here. Pass them your diagnostic number and see what they say.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks for the response. No is the answer. Have seen other possible “solutions” from Sonos but hey did not work for me.
Notwithstanding that, I was under the impression that to submit a diagnosis it would be whilst the problem is in progress or happening at that time. In my case it happens and that’s it, so presume whatever caused it has now passed. Please tell me if I am wrong in my opinion.
Thanks again.
Most often, this kind of thing is caused by the speaker losing connection to the LAN, where it's getting the data it is playing. There's a multitude of reasons why that can occur, from things as simple as wifi interference FAQ, to the current iOS issue, to an issue with duplicate IP addresses, which is frequently exposed by Sonos updating its software (but oddly, not caused by it, just exposed by it). The process of submitting a diagnostic includes 10 or 15 minutes of past activity on the Sonos system, so it doesn't have to be while the issue is in progress, just relatively soon after it happens.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I am still seeing this issue on my system. Podcasts that start over or skip to the next one. I have been in dialog with support several times and they can not help me. this is very annoying that you are not able to fix this.
Hi Sonos,

Any update on solving this issue? I have an Iphone7 and my downloaded podcasts repeatedly stop (and therefore restart) when playing through my Sonos system.

If I can stream Youtube High definition to my TV seamlessly, it's hard to comprehend why I can't stream downloaded audio to my speakers.

Hope a fix will come out with the next update.

Also, if you would let me play audio from my laptop (i.e. Netflix streaming in a web browser), you would truly have the best product on the market and commence rapid takeover of the planet. DO IT!
Badge +2
Agreed! Would be great to see if this will be adressed anytime soon as it's getting quite annoying to have to turn off aiprlay on the Apple TV every time I want to listen "from this iphone".
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue with dropouts only on podcasts on my phone, literally every couple of minutes or so. I have noticed I get no dropouts at all if I keep the screen live on my iPhone X. Clearly not a sustainable solution but I thought it might be of use to note.
Badge
I've been having this issue A LOT lately. This failure happens both on my iPad and iPhone X. The worst thing about this is that Sonos doesn't keep track on where the last played spot is on each podcast. So when it stop/skips to the next podcast suddenly, I have to search around a podcast to figure out where it was last left off.

As an aside, could we get a new feature where the app keep tracks on how far in the podcast you've listen to? it would make this issue slightly more bearable.
Badge
Dwayne wrote:

Hello: I have been having issues playing back downloaded podcasts on my iPhone 5S that seem to have started when I downloaded the last Sonos app update. The issues are:

1) Podcast playback stops frequently. Sonos app indicates that communication with iPhone was lost.
2) When looking at my podcasts under "on this iPhone", Sonos is seeing old podcasts that have been deleted. After a while they eventually disappear. This issue was not happening before the last update.
3) Intermittently, some downloaded podcasts do not have the white dot to control the position of playback in the podcast. The line is grey and there is an indication of the time but there is no way to position the playback point.

Some background: I have had these two Play 5's for years. Up until recently (I believe it was with the last Sonos app update) I had no issues playing back podcasts that had been downloaded to this iPhone. When looking at "on this iPhone" the podcasts listed were only the podcasts that I had downloaded. There was rarely ever any playback issues. Now I cant get through a 30 minute podcast without it stopping multiple times. I tried a brand new iPhone 7 with the latest Sonos app and it did the same thing. These iPhones have no other issues with other apps and then network so it's not the iPhone. Both iPhones have latest iOS. The control dot disappearing was a known issue a while back and that issue resolved with a past update, but now the issue has returned intermittently. I have done all the obvious things like restart of router, PLAY 5's, iPhone, etc. There seems to be no playback issues at all with internet radio/etc, its only problematic with the playback of downloaded podcasts on the iPhone. I'm thinking this has something to do with the way the latest Sonos app update is interpreting the downloaded podcast library on the iPhone.

Diagnostic submitted: 1884917550

Sonos Controller for iPhone: Version 9.0, build 44255050
Two Sonos Play 5: Version 9.0 (build 44254230)

Badge
I have had this problem for years, and Sonos has never been able to solve it. My gfriend gave up and uses bluetooth speakers, because they are reliable.

Reply

    Cookie policy

    We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

    Accept cookies Cookie settings