Answered

Pocketcasts podcast video playback

• 19 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Does anyone know if it's possible to playback video podcast audio to Sonos? All of my video podcasts are greyed out in the Sonos app. I presume because Sonos doesn't support the video file playback.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 April 2022, 22:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The app can't actually play anything, video or audio.  The content never hits the app, streaming goes from the source directly to the Sonos hardware.

Facing same issue.

It’s exactly the same answer. The Sonos app is not a ‘player’, it’s a remote control that operates the system running on the Sonos devices. Since no Sonos devices have a display, they don’t process video signals. You can also see the supported audio formats FAQ.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could Airplay the audio to most recent Sonos speakers.

The app can't actually play anything, video or audio.  The content never hits the app, streaming goes from the source directly to the Sonos hardware.

I can play video podcasts in pocketcasts and get audio only, but not on Sonos. That's what I'm trying to accomplish without connecting to Bluetooth or airplay. Again, I assume Sonos does not support video file playback.

Without using Bluetooth or AirPlay 2, or an analog line in, no, there is no way to get the audio from a video played on your mobile device to a Sonos speaker. If you instead send the video to a TV, it’s relatively easy for the Sonos system to get the audio from the TV set.  

I can play video podcasts in pocketcasts and get audio only, but not on Sonos. That's what I'm trying to accomplish without connecting to Bluetooth or airplay. Again, I assume Sonos does not support video file playback.

The only way forward I can see, is playing the audio via Airplay, or Bluetooth, whilst using the Pocketcast Native App for the video playback. I’ve just tried it on an iPad linked over Airplay to Sonos, it works okay and in sync.

I chose to play the audio to a Sonos Move (called ‘Moveable’) in my setup. Screenshot attached.