Please support BBC iPlayer Radio

Userlevel 3
I have just bought my first bit of SONOS equipment (Play:3). Overall impressed with sound quality (once I toned down the bass on the EQ) but the controller software (mac and android), oh my, oh my. It really is terrible - I'lll post some more on that later.

Anyway - you seem to support some really rather obscure music services - at least ones I have never heard of  - yet you do not support on-demand streams from the BBC iPlayer Radio. I was surprised by this, some shows are available via Tune In Radio - granted, but these seem to be rather out-of-date. 

I was wondering how many customers you have in the UK? And if you think they deserve to have support to the iPlayer Radio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
The iplayer integration in squeezebox- is not 'officially' sanctioned - there is no support. It depends on a very small number of enthusiasts.

Official integration would be the way to go.- I'm just not convinced myself that Tunein is sufficiently responsive to use feedback/requests to produce a good user interface, especially for listen again material.

But who knows - Sonos is so secretive about any developments, that the usual outcome is a fait-accompli.
Yes, I keep looking on Tunein for the things I want to listen to again, but frequently fail to find them. Official integration would be preferred, but an unofficial solution built by enthusiasts seems better to me than nothing. I used the squeezebox for many years quite happily.

Now if the smallest Sonos in the kitchen had an input, that would also be a workaround. But to get an input jack, you have to pay quite a lot to Sonos :(

I live in hope. I guess it would be sad to see iPlayer integrated with Sonos. I could no longer dream and live in hope. It would just be boring reality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You just need one with input to get it to all in house.

You can also setup squeeze server to work on Sonos
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
You just need one with input to get it to all in house.

You can also setup squeeze server to work on Sonos

It's the reverse Setup Squeezeserver, install 2 plugins, play on any Sonos speaker
Sonos; you have made previous improvements to the BBC listening experience so now please complete the job and bring the radio iplayer on board.
Oh dear, I was about to buy a Sonos sound bar, sub and 5 but on finding out I can't (easily) use them to listed to my beloved 6 Music and Radio 4... I've changed my mind. Glad i found this thread before i shelled out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Oh dear, I was about to buy a Sonos sound bar, sub and 5 but on finding out I can't (easily) use them to listed to my beloved 6 Music and Radio 4... I've changed my mind. Glad i found this thread before i shelled out.

Hi Phl8pg,

Though BBC's iPlayer app is not available, you can listen to BBC 6 Music and Radio 4 on Sonos through the TuneIn radio service. In our public beta we just added HLS support for Listen Again content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
TuneIn is FANTASTIC for listening to the BBC radio stations. Also, the quality is superb and I guarantee that listening to the live stations will be awesome.
Userlevel 1
You may still be able to listen to radio 4 live, but I am really taken back that sonos doesn't appear to make any sensible / simple provision for bbc podcasts
I must admit that for the money Sonos really doesn't deliver @Jeff S Unless you are just Spotify then Sonos doesn't want to know.. .at least that's the impression I get.
I have dropped spotify and am now using amazon music (also a half hearted app on sonos) and still no BBC iPlayer app. I just don't get the logic. Why not just interface to the BBC iPlayer and let them worry about the content, rather then receive all this bad noise in the sonos community, when quite happy people end up more and more upset, and resentful of the products they have all bought from you.

I don't get this resistance by Sonos. You really should reconsider just how people use their sonos now. I think it is very very different to the original setup.

Don't do a Nokia and become complacent and arrogant towards your users needs / likes. When people get to a wall, it doesn't take long before they stop pushing and change direction.

Please provide a solution to podcasts in general, and more importantly here, the fantastic content provided by the BBC. Open your eyes and your currently loyal customers eyes and show some willing.
Once again, Sonos cannot unilaterally "interface to the BBC iPlayer and let them worry about the content". The BBC controls who accesses their content. Nobody knows what the back and forth is between the two, but those who claim Sonos could just log into and play BBC content without permission and/or cooperation from the BBC are mistaken.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Then petition the BBC to get their services included on Sonos. What did the BBC say when you asked them?
I strongly suspect listen again services are heavily licenced.
It's really sad that two large organisations can't get their heads together to solve this problem i.e. linking BBC i-Player Radio to Sonos. There's SO MUCH really good material on i-Player radio.... Come on Sonos and the BBC - do some serious talking!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's really sad that two large organisations can't get their heads together to solve this problem i.e. linking BBC i-Player Radio to Sonos. There's SO MUCH really good material on i-Player radio.... Come on Sonos and the BBC - do some serious talking! Have you also Lobbied the BBC?