Please support BBC iPlayer Radio

Userlevel 3
I have just bought my first bit of SONOS equipment (Play:3). Overall impressed with sound quality (once I toned down the bass on the EQ) but the controller software (mac and android), oh my, oh my. It really is terrible - I'lll post some more on that later.

Anyway - you seem to support some really rather obscure music services - at least ones I have never heard of  - yet you do not support on-demand streams from the BBC iPlayer Radio. I was surprised by this, some shows are available via Tune In Radio - granted, but these seem to be rather out-of-date. 

I was wondering how many customers you have in the UK? And if you think they deserve to have support to the iPlayer Radio?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

113 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Completely agree with you ! Tune in app s very unstable as well so can't be relied on . Come on sonos give us the BBC I player radio ...
Userlevel 1
Agreed. Bbc iplayer radio as a music service would be excellent.
Hello, had the same issue but found "DoubleTwist" Application, ProVersion for below 10Euro.

Once you install this, you can add Sonos (or XBox or ... any number of devices) to your Doubletwist Podcast List (on which it is really easy to subscribe to any, even odd and years old BBC 4 Podcasts, e.g. got a 2 year old MoreorLess episode, have weekly automatic updates to those I like to follow) - and then you add what they call a "Magic Player" in your doubletwist app (it will show as the name you gave your speakers, e.g. kitchen or office...) : and you listen to it on your Sonos.

The only awkward point is that it will start and play on only one "Magic Player" = Sonos speaker; you then need to use the Sonos App and active the rooms you want included from the Sonos app, after you had started your podcast from doubletwist. Anyway, a few clicks more, so OK considering one really gets all the podcasts from BBC this way.

Hope this helps, I got help and am really thrilled it finally works.
MAB
Agreed. Please add
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agreed. Please add
Yes, having just got our first bit of Sonos kit today I am disappointed that I can't get such a useful service as the BBC iplayer!
Userlevel 1
I just bought a Sonos Player with the express intention of having BBC Radio 6 through something better than my iPhone.

How can Sonos claim to play "All the Music" if it doesn't work with on of the most popular music services - gutted!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
All you need to do is search bbc 6 music via the tune in app in sonos and add to favourites . I listen to 6 music every day via sonos 
Isn't radio player a good way to go, bbc content, if you could add to sonos music services somehow?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Erm ? You mean the iPlayer radio app ? Yeah absolutely that's what everyone's on here has been requesting for years but nothing ever happens . I got a obligatory message from sonos earlier saying the issue was being looked it to . That'll be the last I hear from them ! .... So frustrating !
No I mean www.radioplayer.co.uk , an app with bbc content and listen again, just needs to be an added music service to sonos apps.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Yeah absolutely ,why not indeed ! Mind you if they add that why not must go the whole hog and add bbc iPlayer radio !
Userlevel 1
I don't think +tunein is the answer really - no catchup, programme info, or calendar.

And it simply is not reliable enough. Listening to Radio 6 now and it has cut out twice in the last few minutes.

I don't get that from any of the other music services.

I have just dismantled my RasperberryPi / Squeezebox (LMS) music network, which had the majority of iPlayer functionality available through a free, Open Source, plugin.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes - and I can't listen to the cricket world cup because Tunein radio don't have a contract to stream Radio 5 live extra. Very annoying!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Yep trying to listen to Craig Charles funk and soul show as we speak and it's cut out several times on me too 
Userlevel 1
Agreed.  Whenever I communicate with Sonos technical, no matter what the problem, I always also raise the issue regarding BBC iPlayer Radio.  It has stopped me recommending Sonos wholeheartedly as a system to a few friends. The integration of Google Play Music has been excellent, if not quite perfect.  It puzzles me as to why Sonos are so reticent in their acceptance of the BBC issue.
On another thread, a Sonos rep advised of an approach to find at least some shows on BBC iPlayer Radio. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/i_can_get_all_bbc_radio_live_streams_but_not_on_demand_listen_aga... I have tried several BBC Radio 3 programs (CD Review, Live in Concert, Composer of the Week) by searching these titles under the tab Podcasts & Shows, and the response "No selections are available" is all that comes up under Playing Now, Recent Episodes, and Playing Soon. If anyone out there has had success finding any episodes of any of these programs, I'd appreciate knowing how you went about your search.
Completely agree with this and I'm busy supporting every similar suggestion for adding iPlayer on these Forums! In Tune is great for playing live stations but it is hopeless, utterly hopeless, for playing on demand content. Don't even bother. We need iPlayer for UK users. Plain and simple. Come on Sonos, 
Userlevel 2
Another plea for iplayer support. I'm getting really fed up now with regular dropouts, missing catch-up programmes and unplayable formats. None of the suggested 'temporary' fixes are anything but just that - temporary - and unsatisfactory. BBC radio was a major reason why I bought Sonos a couple of years ago and I'm no longer a happy bunny. Surely there's a fix?
It isn't, by the way, only UK folks who want this service. It's the service I listen to most often here in the US, so it is a huge disappointment that it is not available through Sonos. I recently wrote Sonos on this issue and received this reply:

We love to hear your requests about BBC IPlayer as it helps us in providing you with the best possible experience with our products. We are always listening and updating our products with feature enhancements and releases. At the moment we do not have plans of adding BBC iPlayer to Sonos as it is also up to BBC to allow us access to there server, never the less, I have forwarded your request on to our Product Management team to ensure the people that can make the difference view your request.

Have you heard about ask.sonos.com?

It is a place where you can share ideas like this with other Sonos customers and our development teams. Other customers can follow your idea and the more people that follow it; the likelier it is that it gets implemented. 

To post an idea, you simply go to https://ask.sonos.com and click the “Share an idea” button to start sharing your idea.
Userlevel 2
"Have you heard about ask.sonos.com?"

Where the f*ck to they think we're posting this stuff...

Come on you muppets this is just crap customer service. Will someone from Sonos actually read this and give us a reply?!?

If you're going to add iPlayer, tell is when.

If you're not going to add it, just admit it then we can all stop buying your products and find alternatives.
Hi, Henry: Just by way of clarification: that was written to me in a feedback response elsewhere; I cut and pasted the response to add it here to further encourage all who want this resolved to voice their desire for this service.
I have had exactly the same problem trying to listen to the Rattle/Berlin Phil. Sibelius concerts broadcast a couple of weeks ago and only available for 28 days. 
Exactly the same for me
Completely agree with you ! Tune in app s very unstable as well so can't be relied on . Come on sonos give us the BBC I player radio ...
Come on Sonos - there is enormous demand for you to give us access to this significant broadcaster using technology to enable listeners to hear programmes at times other than when they were broadcast. get to it!
I can't even seem to getthis on listen again currently. When it appears there is only one episode, not 4 like on the real iPlayer.