Answered

Playing Youtube via SONOS on Android

• 28 November 2018
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi All, I can play my youtube videos to sonos via airplay feature. However I dont get any option on Android device?? Help me out here please. Thank you.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 29 November 2018, 14:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, hijigu. I feel your pain, I'm 100% Android based and regret to say, this feature does not exist. If we do introduce it, we'll be sure to let our customers know. I, for one, would be happy to see it introduced. Let us know if you need anything else.

Moderator Note: As stated in the post above, this feature does not currently exist. Please add your thoughts to the thread and all feedback will be forwarded for review.
Userlevel 1
Hi, hijigu. I feel your pain, I'm 100% Android based and regret to say, this feature does not exist. If we do introduce it, we'll be sure to let our customers know. I, for one, would be happy to see in introduced. Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks Edward. I will try to figure out another way and if succeed, will post here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No worries. That'd be great, I'd definitely be keen to learn of something like that. All the best.
Userlevel 1
Hm, replying here to both show my support and hopefully to be be kept apprised in case this gets updated.
Even now, three years after buying my first Sonos speaker, and having spent over $1k on the brand, I continue to discover things like this that were never an issue when everyone used a simple 3.5mm cable or Bluetooth to play their tunes 😠
Even now, three years after buying my first Sonos speaker, and having spent over $1k on the brand, I continue to discover things like this that were never an issue when everyone used a simple 3.5mm cable or Bluetooth to play their tunes :@
It's on the proprietor Google to implement YouTube the video platform. It would be illegal to implement the service without Google giving consent.

It's on the proprietor Google to implement YouTube the video platform. It would be illegal to implement the service without Google giving consent.

And since Google never allowed YouTube video to play on its own (now defunct) Chromecast Audio device, the chance of that happening is probably very slim.
Even now, three years after buying my first Sonos speaker, and having spent over $1k on the brand, I continue to discover things like this that were never an issue when everyone used a simple 3.5mm cable or Bluetooth to play their tunes :@Yeah, and Bluetooth is of course renowned for its robust wireless performance and multiroom capabilities.

Anyway you have a Plsybar, so you can already listen to YouTube on Sonos.
Badge +1
I'd be interested in this too. If I really wanted to, I could do Youtube on my Roku and distribute through the Playbar. But direct from the phone could be handy.
I'd be interested in this too. If I really wanted to, I could do Youtube on my Roku and distribute through the Playbar. But direct from the phone could be handy.

YouTube Developer's TOS does not allow you to separate the video portion from the audio portion of the content. Since Sonos (and Chromecast) both stream directly from the source and not through the controller device, it would require permission from YouTube to violate this limitation, and YouTube has so far not allowed it.

Apple's Airplay 2, on the other hand, accomplishes this by streaming through the iOS device and directing audio output to Sonos. Unfortunately, there is no Airplay-like streaming solution available on Android.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Apple's Airplay 2, on the other hand, accomplishes this by streaming through the iOS device and directing audio output to Sonos. Unfortunately, there is no Airplay-like streaming solution available on Android.

This isn't entirely true. You can cast YouTube video audio to Chromecast Audio with the Home app (the "Home" app by Google).

This isn't entirely true. You can cast YouTube video audio to Chromecast Audio with the Home app (the "Home" app by Google).
I don't think Chromecast works through the device in the way Airplay does. I believe @jgatie's statement is true. The mirrored stream goes direct from router.
In the Chrome browser, you can cast directly from YouTube only to devices with a screen. You can cast the audio-only by casting the Tab, if you don't mind being way out of sync.
I'd be interested in this too. If I really wanted to, I could do Youtube on my Roku and distribute through the Playbar. But direct from the phone could be handy.You can pair the YouTube on your phone with that on a smart TV and for all practical purposes play from your phone. It can be grouped with other speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
[).I don't think Chromecast works through the device in the way Airplay does. I believe @jgatie's statement is true.[/quote]

John please reread what I posted in relation to the thread topic as well as the post I quoted as this isn't what I posted that wasn't entirely true.
What @jgatie said was true. You said it wasn't. Whatever.
Whatever.

Exactly. Let stinky socks lie.
Try this app, works for me
http://www.frontierapp.com/sonostube.html
Userlevel 1
Try this app, works for me
http://www.frontierapp.com/sonostube.html

This is brilliant. It works the way I want. However I think its paid app which is still okay. Gave me 2 free days. I was also able to use my phone for anything else while the song was playing but when I reopened the app, it refreshed and the song stopped. It didnt sync automatically.