Answered

Playing Youtube via SONOS.

• 18 November 2012
  • 474 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

474 replies

I'm not sure Sonos is aware that YouTube is a major source of music for many people, as it has a video element to it, but there are many many channels that are all music with just a token picture for the video...And this is the content we want streaming over our several thousand dollar systems...just as we could if we simply bought a fifteen dollar Bluetooth adapter from Amazon...But we shouldn't have to do that right?
Not if you haven't paid for the music itself. Buying a Sonos doesn't give everyone the right to stream music for free all of a sudden, how are artists and content owners going to get paid?
This is a protectionist attitude in order to sell paid subscriptions in partnerships with Napster, Spotify etc. The technique is not the problem. A highend device would simply be able to.  Sonos determines to which I can listen, this is a limitation of choice. Besides Youtube the same for mandatory Spotify Premium. One of the main reasons I consider to send the Play:5 and bridge back. 
Again, why is it everyone seems to think that buying an expensive Sonos gives them the right to stream music for free all of a sudden!? How are artists and content owners going to get paid? Sonos doesn't pay them, the platform that hosts the music pays them, e.g. Spotify, Napster etc
I have a Sonos Connect and I also have a Stereo Bluetooth Receiver; http://www.qed.co.uk/wireless_bluetooth/qed_uplay/qed_uplay_puck_wireless_bluetooth_receiver.html
I connected the Stereo Receiver to the Connect, and the device will install automatically. You may choose it as a sound source from the Sonos App. And you can play music from any device with Bluetooth. Also YouTube. 
Regards, Siri 
For those who are not afraid to play with a bit of Linux command line and have a server that is always turned on, here is a solution that allows you to use the Send to TV button of the YouTube app on smartphones to send the YouTube audio to the Sonos system: http://superuser.com/questions/801373/how-to-play-youtube-videos-on-a-sonos-system/801374#801374
I'm agreed with this idea too !
Ive figued out how to play youtube any any other internet, iphone, android apps.... you can play anything you want by doing this. 

What you need to do is use the Line In feature. 
http://blog.sonos.com/tips-and-tricks/tip-using-line-in-on-sonos/

Then get yourselves one of these 
http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/BTA-10/BTA%2010_HK_US

Then WHAAAAA Poow, you can play anything through your Sonos via bluetooth.
Or use a cable if you prefer a cable to speaker setup.  
Although I use the sonos app I have found Skifta app to be also very useful.if I use playtube to view amongst other things youtube videos I find that when I run skifta the youtube videos are cached on my android phone and available to play through my sonos-result. Sonos about time you pulled your finger out!
Try the app skifta, use an app like playtube to select video, skifta can then play cached music/ video
Get on with it Sonos, people obviously want this feature.
Badge
Spot on!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've owned two Sonos Play 5 units for a couple of years now. I really love them. They're rock solid, but I would really love the ability to play YouTube videos directly on them, without having to purchase and manage extra hardware (eg. a Bluetooth puck). Can you add YouTube as a native source?

Cheers,
Trevor Sullivan
Microsoft MVP: PowerShell
http://trevorsullivan.net
http://twitter.com/pcgeek86 
Please sonos add youtube!! or at least give us an answer on this thread about what you intend to do. cheers
Agreed
I bought a Play 5 today.  Hats off to the customer service rep. who was very helpful to get things up and running on my Droid phone.  I was actually STUNNED when I realized that you couldn't use Youtube with Sonos.  We did work through using the line-in feature for Youtube, however, it needs to be wireless - that is what people are buying the product for.   I was planning to get a Sonos device for each room in my house.  However, I will be returning it.  It's a shame.  Youtube is what I use to listen to music.  The  Sonos 5 sounds excellent and my MP3 files, Tune In Radio, etc., work perfectly.  I can't believe Sonos hasn't addressed this Youtube issue.  I am reading everyone's comments and this has been an ongoing issue for a long time.  If it hasn't been addressed and resolved by now, well, most likely Sonos will continue without adding Youtube.  So frustrating.  Sonos - you will have a home run with your products once you address this concern.  Bluetooth allows you to stream whatever you are playing on your device.  Sonos restricts this and basically restricts your device capabilities.  You have just lost about $2k worth of business.
I bought a Play 5 today.  Hats off to the customer service rep. who was very helpful to get things up and running on my Droid phone.  I was actually STUNNED when I realized that you couldn't use Youtube with Sonos.  We did work through using the line-in feature for Youtube, however, it needs to be wireless - that is what people are buying the product for.   I was planning to get a Sonos device for each room in my house.  However, I will be returning it.  It's a shame.  Youtube is what I use to listen to music.  The  Sonos 5 sounds excellent and my MP3 files, Tune In Radio, etc., work perfectly.  I can't believe Sonos hasn't addressed this Youtube issue.  I am reading everyone's comments and this has been an ongoing issue for a long time.  If it hasn't been addressed and resolved by now, well, most likely Sonos will continue without adding Youtube.  So frustrating.  Sonos - you will have a home run with your products once you address this concern.  Bluetooth allows you to stream whatever you are playing on your device.  Sonos restricts this and basically restricts your device capabilities.  You have just lost about $2k worth of business.

I just spoke with another customer service rep. this today.  He was pleasant to speak with.  I specifically asked about Youtube, Bluetooth, etc., functionality and what their plans were for the future.  He mentioned that Sonos employees are not allowed to discuss any "roadmaps."  Sonos - you need to be transparent with your product and long-term plans.  People have been asking these questions for years, and there is no verbal feed-back or plans for adding what your consumers are asking you for.  It would be helpful to speak with upper management and the development team to see what their plans are for the future before returning the Play 5.
Come on Sonos and YouTube - get it together.
I just purchased a play3 device and sonos BOOST yesterday. My plan was to start with this as my wife was desperate for something simple to use in the kitchen. I saw it as a way to eventually upgrade my non-connected soundbar to a playbar eventually.  I was very uncertain about becoming a sonos customer b/c of not only the fact that sonos locks you into their software but also b/c they lack work-arounds like HDMI inputs for their playbar or AUX inputs (or bluetooth) on some of their devices), but the rep at bestbuy said SONOS SUPPORTS YOUTUBE SOUND OUTPUT. Youtube is an amazing source for getting music you can not find or buy anywhere else. I've got until January 15th to return this and am seriously considering returning it even though it is really great for what it supports. This is why I stopped buying Bose products years ago. They don't offer the simplest of flexibility but yet are charging a large premium. SONOS SAYS THEY ARE A SOFTWARE COMPANY YET HOW CAN THEY JUSTIFY NOT SUPPORTING YOUTUBE AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF CUSTOMERS ASKING FOR IT!!!

Really, I was about to buy at least 8-10 SONOS speakers (Play:1 and 3) but the more I read about it all in ask.sonos.com the less I think that's a good idea. No bluetooth input and sharing with other speakers, not even a single speaker supports bluetooth, no way to use my android phone or the pc with soundsystem I already have as a zone, no way to redirect the sound of my android apps to sonos (e.g. for youtube or google play music), additional 350$ for a single analog line-in, no optical toslink!? ... and not one response or clarification by SONOS here!? Baaaaaaad. Very bad.
After all the money i paid for this thing...Really?
Userlevel 3
I just purchased a play3 device and sonos BOOST yesterday. My plan was to start with this as my wife was desperate for something simple to use in the kitchen. I saw it as a way to eventually upgrade my non-connected soundbar to a playbar eventually.  I was very uncertain about becoming a sonos customer b/c of not only the fact that sonos locks you into their software but also b/c they lack work-arounds like HDMI inputs for their playbar or AUX inputs (or bluetooth) on some of their devices), but the rep at bestbuy said SONOS SUPPORTS YOUTUBE SOUND OUTPUT. Youtube is an amazing source for getting music you can not find or buy anywhere else. I've got until January 15th to return this and am seriously considering returning it even though it is really great for what it supports. This is why I stopped buying Bose products years ago. They don't offer the simplest of flexibility but yet are charging a large premium. SONOS SAYS THEY ARE A SOFTWARE COMPANY YET HOW CAN THEY JUSTIFY NOT SUPPORTING YOUTUBE AFTER SO MANY YEARS OF CUSTOMERS ASKING FOR IT!!!

I found a solution. I use the software "stream what you hear" to declare the url of the http live streaming as a radio channel in SONOS. it works, the only thing i have to do is to renew the URL at each reboot of my PC
I am in the market for a wireless loudspeaker for my kitchen (I have a leftover iPad to use as controller/soundsource).

I found the Sonos products to be very interesting. I am however glad I found this thread before buying, as basic browser streaming capability is on the list of requirements. There seems to be workarounds for this, but I am quite puzzled as to why this basic functionality is not present in the product.

I will look for products which satisfies my requirements better.
The lack of an inherent capability to play music from the youtube source through the Sonos system is very frustrating ... adding an airport express is taking a step backward for me and not desired.  I am surprised and disappointed this capability has not been integrated into the Sonos controller application after so many years of customer requests.  SONOS - Please deliver an elegant solution for streaming youtube music through the Sonos system.
How about integrating YouTube video in the controller app in order to keep the on screen ad people happy? Come on SONOS it's not rocket science!
I love Sonos, but I am about to sell them because my husband really hates them. The only reason he would agree on keeping them home is if he could  play youtube ! and in part I agree with him it is unbelievable that with all that technology-. there is no integration with youtube.
I am also looking for this feature and would love to see YouTube directly supported through the Sonos controller app.

Anyway, for those using Android phones or tablets (which I do) and not afraid of ROOTING their phone, there is an app on the Play store called Macronos which will let you stream any audio to Sonos.  I'm not sure if this app (or something similar) is available for iOS.

I use Macronos all the time and it works fairly well, although every once in a while the audio will drop out, or the phone will disconnect from Sonos on its own.  These problems are infrequent enough and audio quality is pretty good so I'm happy with this solution for now but support for YouTube built into the Sonos system would be AWESOME.